Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What do we do about Rick Smith?

Assuming a coaching change is imminent, what do we do with Rick Smith?

Let Rick Smith handle the coaching search?- Get to keep him as GM... however, that will eliminate some of the top choices like Cowher, Gruden, etc... I guess Shanahan would still be in play and possibly a guy like Greg Williams.

McNair runs an independent search for a head coach and allows his choice to make decisions about the GM, etc...?

McNair hires a new GM, who then brings in his own head coach?
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What do we do about Rick Smith?

This is actually one of the reason that I'm not on the pink soap bandwagon already, the 'fear' of losing Rick Smith if Kubiak leaves too.

I really want Smith to stay, I thing he's VERY good at drafting and getting players from FA. Kubiak, well... I'm so-so right now, he does some really good things, but come gameday, his player selection and playcalling is ignorant, bordering arrogant.
Old 12-07-2009   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel ya on that. My pink soap is for Kubiak only, but losing Rick Smith
would probably hurt the team even more. One has done his job, and the
other make dumb decisions and ARROGANTLY refuses to switch it up.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on the fence with Rick Smith.

He's good at bringing in guys off the street for the minimum.

Some of his big-name FA signings have been god-awful. His draft results have been hit-and-miss.

It's hard to tell how much of it has been Kubiak and how much has been Smith.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith is the young African-American GM and face of management that gives McNair the look of a progressive, PC organization that is probably important to the owner.
Did he make the choices, was his input significant in the Draft picks since he's
been here ? If so that's certainly worth something because Cushing and Duane Brown have been productive top picks even though the wisdom of the Okoye choice is obviously dubious. FA acquisions are another story.
If McNair were to replace Kubiak with a non big-name coach, keeping Smith might be the way to go but if he really wants to get a high-profile guy like Cowher then that calibre coach probably wants a dual role of HC-GM meaning
Smiths would be gone.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am assuming that Smith stays simply from the fact that he is signed through 2012.
Old 12-07-2009   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If they keep Rick Smith, I believe they would have to involve a consultant for the coaching hire.

I think they should keep him given the state of the CBA, and his work to date.
Old 12-07-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, here's what Richard Justice says about the situation.

Quote:
It seems likely that Bob McNair will soon be looking for another head coach and maybe another general manager. I doubt he has any clue where to start looking. I could be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as an NFL junkie that sits up night studying other organizations and trying to figure out what he could learn from them.

If he asked for advice, I'd tell him to telephone Ernie Accorsi and have him play the role of Dan Reeves in the upcoming evaluation process.

Bob needs to get a good strong general manager in place, preferably a proven general manager, a general manager with skins on the wall. If he has confidence in Rick Smith, so be it.
Old 12-07-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does everyone like Rick Smith? Other than Cushing and Diles none of his draft picks deserve to be starting. Okoye and Brown may eventually develop, but right now they are not living up to their draft status.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith does a good job, IMO.

It seems, unless it's being covered up somehow, that he does what he can do and stays out of the way of the coach.

It seems that he scrutinizes contracts and doesn't give away the farm, thus keeping us from being plunged into cap hell.

I don't know if Smith has to go if Kubiak goes. You guys can check my post history on this topic: I've always said that the REAL "keeper" from the Kubiak era will be Rick Smith, that he NEEDS to stay aboard even if Kubiak gets let go. I think he does his job pretty well, in spite of everything he inherited from Casserly.

Gurry Kubiak is doomed. The Jacksonville game was even worse than the previous three losses, IMO. It was damning of Kubiak's gameday management. It was arrogance in the red zone, trying to be "cute" instead of going with our bread-and-butter (AJ and two WRs who are good "possession" type receivers). In a red zone situation, you toss it to AJ or your two possession-type WRs who just thrive on short routes.

Plus, how this coaching staff didn't know that MJD would run the ball over and over and over and over again, at end of game, is beyond me. We should have stuffed the run, we'd have gotten the ball back, and we might would have scored a TD unless Chris Brown was the one who had the shot at the TD.
Old 12-07-2009   #11
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has been mediocre and it's time to go. Rick Smith has also been mediocre and I would not be crushed if he was fired too.
Old 12-07-2009   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
FWIW, here's what Richard Justice says about the situation.
I more than normal, I would ignore anything that Justice says about Rick Smith. Previous blogs/columns from him indicate Justice he has some personal/professional issue with Smith.
Old 12-07-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Why does everyone like Rick Smith? Other than Cushing and Diles none of his draft picks deserve to be starting. Okoye and Brown may eventually develop, but right now they are not living up to their draft status.
Jacoby Jones
Zac Diles
Kasey Studdard
Duane Brown
Steve Slaton
Cushing
Barwin
G. Quin
James Casey

all appear to be good draft picks... Okoye isn't exactly a horrible miss. There are very few misses (Bennett, Adibi?, Molden?) But, more impressive than his drafts, are his FAs, particularly the ones he's found under the rocks:

Dressen
Briesel
E. Wilson
Pollard
Reeves
Antonio Smith
C Myers
M. Schaub (trade)
Deljuan Robinson
Bulman
Kevin Walter (trade)
Andre Davis
Rashod Butler
Ryan Moats
Shaun Cody
Old 12-07-2009   #14
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith has done pretty decent especially in the 1st round and the coaching staff had some say in those picks as well and lets not talk about the coaching on the field as that has been horrible. Kubiak is gone for sure and Rick Smith could be back in the fold and if so Shanahan is the #1 choice.
Old 12-07-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Plus, how this coaching staff didn't know that MJD would run the ball over and over and over and over again, at end of game, is beyond me. We should have stuffed the run, we'd have gotten the ball back, and we might would have scored a TD unless Chris Brown was the one who had the shot at the TD.
Everyone watching the game knew that was going to happen, but inexplicably the Texans couldn't stop him after doing so all game long. I dunno but the defense appeared fatigued to me ? Maybe our defense was on the field longer than I realized but they were sluggish at the end, got their hands on MJD but couldn't bring him down.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #16
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am assuming that Smith stays simply from the fact that he is signed through 2012.
I would have to agree. I'm on the fence about Smith. If Kubiak is let go, I can't see one of the Big Name coaches coming in here, and Smith having more power over personnel then the coach. Our drafts and FA have improved, but I don't see Smith getting 100% of all the credit. Also, IMO you don't let Smith do the search and hire for a coach.
Old 12-07-2009   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned here....

Demeco and OD should have been re-signed before they hit free agency.

That's on Rick Smith.
Old 12-07-2009   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:

That's on Rick Smith.
Geniusness of Rick Smith! He played hardball instead of letting the players dictate terms. Now, because of the collective bargaining situation, Demeco and OD are looking at 2 more years as RFAs. They will have to agree to a reasonable deal or face not getting a real contract until 2012.
Old 12-07-2009   #19
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Assuming a coaching change is imminent, what do we do with Rick Smith?

Let Rick Smith handle the coaching search?- Get to keep him as GM... however, that will eliminate some of the top choices like Cowher, Gruden, etc... I guess Shanahan would still be in play and possibly a guy like Greg Williams.

McNair runs an independent search for a head coach and allows his choice to make decisions about the GM, etc...?

McNair hires a new GM, who then brings in his own head coach?

How about a GM and coach who aren't boys....this Kubiak and Rick Smith buddy system doesn't work...
Old 12-07-2009   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's on Rick Smith.
They have not hit free agency yet... nor will they after this season
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read