Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2009   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gregg Williams will not be our next HC

Cowher wants the Carolina job, and he'll bide his time until it happens and use us as leverage . Gregg Williams is a defensive guru, has some experience behind some GREAT coaches, he learned from a failed first try (see: Bill Belichick), has Houston ties, and would likely keep Kyle Shanahan on - assuming that he doesn't bolt to go coach with his dad somewherep. The knock on him in Buffalo was his conservatism, but I don't think it will be like that the second time around again. He's coaching under one of the smartest and ballsiest playcalling coaches in the NFL right now, and has turned the Saints' defense from worst to (almost) first. He also runs a 4-3, meaning a massive personnel overhaul would not be necessary.

In fact, I'm thinking he may be my TOP preference, even if Cowher WERE available and interested.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #2
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gregg Williams will be our next HC

Top choice over Cowher? No.

I'm on the fence about Williams. I really think we need a proven, successful guy who has been a SUCCESSFUL head coach before.

Williams, for the most part, will be starting over, yes?
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #3
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I think McNair would keep Kubes on before he made that move. The only move I see is McNair making a big splash, he will be going for the biggest names out there.

After seeing his face after the Indy game, I think he's ready to write a check.
Old 12-06-2009   #4
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

gregg williams
good dc
horrible coach
Old 12-06-2009   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Williams burnt alot of bridges in his last HC stint. I dont see him getting another shot anytime soon despite how good a coordinator he is. I dont know why but I truley believe Cowher is our next HC.

I wouldnt be apposed to Shawn McDorment (sp?) though.
Old 12-06-2009   #6
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by treduke View Post
gregg williams
good dc
horrible coach
How many people said that about Belichick after he was fired from Cleveland?
Old 12-06-2009   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Gregg Williams would work for me.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2009   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

like it or not and I am probably wrong but

way this team's offense is built I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Shanahan gets a serious look
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Put the beer, alcoholic beverage or pipe away.

Seriously you'd want a guy whose best team topped out at 8-8 as opposed to a guy whose lead his team to two Super Bowls and won one?

If I'm Gregg Williams unless I really wanted to be a HC again why would you leave a place that you are in a great position to succeed?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
And how many people said it after other coaches got fired from their first job, and it was completely true?
Old 12-06-2009   #11
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Put the beer, alcoholic beverage or pipe away.

Seriously you'd want a guy whose best team topped out at 8-8 as opposed to a guy whose lead his team to two Super Bowls and won one?

If I'm Gregg Williams unless I really wanted to be a HC again why would you leave a place that you are in a great position to succeed?
Bill Belichick's record in Cleveland was 36-44. Capers was a "proven winner" from when he was in Carolina. How'd that work out for ya?
Old 12-06-2009   #12
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Dom Capers sucked as a HC, and he's now leading the #1 defense in the
NFL. Just sayin...
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #13
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
And how many people said it after other coaches got fired from their first job, and it was completely true?
How many that were fired went on to be great coordinators again? Not many.
Old 12-06-2009   #14
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
like it or not and I am probably wrong but

way this team's offense is built I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Shanahan gets a serious look
Maybe we can pay him in tanning lotion and a tanning bed.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be good with Williams too.

He brought one hell of an attitude change to the New Orleans D. Just what we need here.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #16
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah but the hoodie did lead them to the playoffs and in his defense was the coach during the lame duck season before the browns moved! since you like defense how about taking a look at leslie frazier the vikings dc
if we dont get cowher or another coach we should'nt go with some re-tread
who had his shot! if this thing is gonna get blown up at least go with some new blood
good day sir
Old 12-06-2009   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The way you feel about Williams is how I felt about Capers before we hired him. I really thought he would be a good HC despite what happened to him in Carolina.

Williams has Bud Adams stench on him so I think I will pass.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

This week's column is dedicated to Buffalo Bills Head Coach Greg Williams, who has guided his team to an absolutely horrendous 1-10 record.

Though this is Greg Williams' first year as the Buffalo Bills head coach, he should be immediately dismissed from his duties. He has single-handily turned this once-proud franchise into one of the biggest laughing stocks in the entire NFL.

When hired to lead the Bills this season, Williams spoke about having a playoff-caliber team. He spoke about how solid his defensive unit was. In fact, he told anybody who would listen that this defense would end up breaking the sack record.(Actually Greg, you have to get pressure on the quarterback first, before you are actually credited with a sack). He talked about how impressive QB Rob Johnson looked and how quickly he had learned the West Coast offense.

Well Greg, it would appear that you had absolutely no idea what kind of team you were taking over. The defense was over-hauled during the off-season, losing many quality players to free agency. Your quarterback, who you told the media had quickly learned the new West Coast offense, struggled every single week in that offense, only for you to then acknowledge that it might take him several months to fully understand and fully grasp just exactly everything there is to know about the new schemes implemented.

Not once have I ever heard Mr. Williams put the blame on his shoulders after a loss, and trust me when I tell you, when you are 1-10, you have plenty of opportunities to do so.

Greg Williams, you have no business coaching in the NFL. You surrounded yourself with assistant coaches who knew nothing about the game of football. You made sure that you looked like the most knowledgeable person in the front office, and that was a huge mistake. A good coach surrounds himself with people who he feels are more knowledgeable then he. That way you can learn from them as much as they can learn from you.

You certainly have made everybody aware that this is your team. You have rid yourself of the players you didn't like or didn't fit into your plans. After it's all said and done Greg, you have shown that, without a doubt, you are a FEW TOMATO'S SHORT OF A THICK SAUCE.

Sound familiar? No thanks.
Old 12-06-2009   #19
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

I rather give Vikings D Coord. Leslie Frazier a shot. The last D Coord. from Minnesota(Mike Tomlin) worked out well.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Tony Dungy

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read