Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2009   #1
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The First Off Season thread for 2010

We'll have a new coach and most likely pick between 13 and 16 after a 3rd 8-8 season in a row.

I don't think our new coach will be Cower, but one things for sure, with Kubiak gone, maybe now someone will have the balls to get us a RB in an early round.

I hate starting over again, but it's time. This organization needs a change and it's now or never. We have a young team that can move in whatever direction that the new head coach wants us to. I hate to say this, but I'm almost looking forward to this off season. May it finally bring the changes needed for this team to win.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The First Off Season thread for 2010

The good news is this draft RULES. So if we're pickings 8-13 we can get a high end cornerstone day 1 starter type of player. DT, S, RB, CB are our biggest needs lets assume, there will be atleast one of those in the 8-13 range. Of course we could always draft best player available and see who falls.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58892 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The good news is this draft RULES. So if we're pickings 8-13 we can get a high end cornerstone day 1 starter type of player. DT, S, RB, CB are our biggest needs lets assume, there will be atleast one of those in the 8-13 range. Of course we could always draft best player available and see who falls.
I will get ripped for it but we still havent found a DE that gets cosnitant pressure on the QB. DE is still a big need for this team. In fact I would say out of everyone in the upcoming draft, Suh is the only player that could have as big of an impact on this team as Derrick Morgan.
Old 12-06-2009   #4
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

This off-season, once again, will be a very important one. After today's game, I believe we need to get rid of Kubiak. Some teams can get away with having a coach who isn't really a leader, but we don't have the veteran presence to pull it off. We need a coach who can groom some of the players on this team into leaders.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #5
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I'd add a C and G to that list. If Wilson can come back, I lower our S need, I think he did a good job and had a good bond with the Pollard. I think C or G should be our first pick, or if it is our second pick, it should be the first C or G taken in the draft. I tell you what, I saw that Suh kid from Nebraska last night, and after all I've heard about him, watching him has me looking at him as the real freaking deal.
hookinreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #6
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

GREGG WILLIAMS. He gets pressure on opposing QB's and gets his secondary to perform EVERY WEEK. He'd keep on Shanahan but would make enough slight changes (beefier OL, top tier RB) to make a huge difference.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I'd add a C and G to that list. If Wilson can come back, I lower our S need, I think he did a good job and had a good bond with the Pollard. I think C or G should be our first pick, or if it is our second pick, it should be the first C or G taken in the draft. I tell you what, I saw that Suh kid from Nebraska last night, and after all I've heard about him, watching him has me looking at him as the real freaking deal.
he won't be avaliable by the time we pick, but if he were, I'd take him.

Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2009   #8
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
we'd have to go mike ditka to get suh
Old 12-06-2009   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
he won't be avaliable by the time we pick, but if he were, I'd take him.
Ya, Suh will likely be a top 5 pick.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #10
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

...sorry, kinda thinking out loud...Suh will be top 3 in my opinion...and definitly not around when we are picking. Just making a comment on the kid...sorry for the confusion.
hookinreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll have a new coach and most likely pick between 13 and 16 after a 3rd 8-8 season in a row.

I don't think our new coach will be Cower, but one things for sure, with Kubiak gone, maybe now someone will have the balls to get us a RB in an early round.

I hate starting over again, but it's time. This organization needs a change and it's now or never. We have a young team that can move in whatever direction that the new head coach wants us to. I hate to say this, but I'm almost looking forward to this off season. May it finally bring the changes needed for this team to win.
I don't know. 8-8 suggests we go 3-1 over the last 4. We have: Seattle, St Louis, Miami, and New England. Both Miami and New England are in the hunt for the division and WC berths so i think they will both go after us hard. Seattle is currently a 4 win team and would be a 5 win team if they beat SF today. So, it is possible we go 3-1, but I think its likelier we go 1-3 or 2-2. That would put us around 6-10 or 7-9 or around 7-13 or so(give or take a couple of spots).

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #12
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What makes you think it's safe to say we'll finish 8-8? Maybe as usual Kubiak will win games when they don't count.

I don't think we need to implode the roster but the staff does need to be imploded. Like you said I don't believe Cowher would come here, but I think McNair will likely look for a proven guy this time around (ok well I hope anyway)

Whomever the next coach is has some big decisions to make. Do we stick with Schaub at QB? If we do the truth is Schaub can't carry a team on his back, we need to focus on defense and run game. I'm on the fence with Schaub personally.

Slaton's not going to cut it at RB and thankfully Brown's contract, or contracted espionage goes up. Gotta make a move in the draft or take a risk on a FA or a combination of both. I think we can bring in a vet like Edge for a reasonable rate if he doesn't outright retire.

We need a stud Free Safety. Not much more to add to that. Pollard's making a good case to keep around at SS though.

Not sure about Caldwell's status, but based on what he did a Bama I don't see a reason why he couldn't be a solid C or guard. We have to upgrade the talent of the interior from starter to backups. That means saying buh bye to White and Studdard.

Freaking sign OD. That's all.

Big choice on resigning KW. I think he's a solid #2 and I like his game. New coach might want someone to stretch the field opposite AJ. Even so If Mardy Gilyard slips to the second run up to the podium.

I also think the FO needs to be reassessed. I get the Casserly feeling with Rick Smith. I know he hasn't screwed us over like Cass, but I can't identify if the picks and FA moves are him just getting what his HC wants. He'll probably be allowed to finish out his contract I imagine though.

Bobby Grier needs to be fired. Not saying all of our FA pickups have been terrible but our "big" name FAs tend to not pan out.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Yeah, I can understand yall's thoughts on how we might not be 8-8. It's very likely we will be 7-9, but I don't think we will be 6-10. I think we can take the next three and then lose to New England. Not that any of this matters now anyway. It's more important who our next head coach is than how many more games we win.

I think Lil' Shanny is gone with the new head coach, but Frank Bush may stay on depending on who is hired.

I'm also not sold on getting rid of Rick Smith. He certainly has done a better job than Casserly. And didn't Rick Smith just sign an extension recently?

Old 12-06-2009   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm also not sold on getting rid of Rick Smith. He certainly has done a better job than Casserly. And didn't Rick Smith just sign an extension recently?
I've been thinking this way myself. I think he's done his job well enough to hang on to it.

But then again, it's hard to tell how much of it's Smith and how much of it's Kubiak.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #15
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand yall's thoughts on how we might not be 8-8. It's very likely we will be 7-9, but I don't think we will be 6-10. I think we can take the next three and then lose to New England. Not that any of this matters now anyway. It's more important who our next head coach is than how many more games we win.

I think Lil' Shanny is gone with the new head coach, but Frank Bush may stay on depending on who is hired.

Yeah signed through 2012.

My problem is HOW much better has he really done? He hasn't pulled a P Buch or a Jason Babin trade which is good. But, his supposed top tier FAs in general haven't worked out, though he has hit on some lower tier FAs and trade that have worked out well.

I don't think he'll get axed along with Kubiak, but I think he should be on a warm seat going into next year. It's been hard discerning what are strictly Smith choices or approval from Kubiak. Rest of the FO needs a long look.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #16
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We have 4 more games to play.

Thats 1/4 the season.

It is not the Off Season.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #17
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
We have 4 more games to play.

Thats 1/4 the season.

It is not the Off Season.
Glorified scrimmages rest of the way, sorry.
Old 12-06-2009   #18
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 1345 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Vick for QB!
Old 12-07-2009   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

call me crazy but if we win out the pool out there is not good and just the money factor

right now Kubes job is looking safe IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #20
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

We should try out the practice squad backs these last 4 games. See if Foster or Henry is any good. If they are then thats a positive. If they suck then oh well were not going anywhere anyway.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read