Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-05-2009   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default SEC championship game

Didn't see a thread started....

Alabama looks pretty good. Opened up with the spread which knocked Florida for a loop, but lately they've been conservative with the playcalling.

I'm hoping Alabama wins this game.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SEC championship game

New ball game, Bama you can't win a game by just kicking FGs.
Old 12-05-2009   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey carr bombed i'll join you. The guys that are catching my attention are C Maurkice Pouncey (#56, 6-4, 315), OG Mike Pouncey (#55, 64, 320) They are playing their asses off. Hey Kubiak if you still have a job come april you need to give these guys a look.
Old 12-05-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

LMAO!!!

That was epic, the rest of this game won't be able to top the halftime show. LOL, that guy is going to catch so much grief from his friends.
Old 12-05-2009   #5
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Florida guy in the halftime Dr. Pepper contest must feel like the biggest ass right now after losing to the Bama girl throwing lame ducks up. Like Danielson said, he was firing throws off like he was facing a zone blitz or something instead of taking his time and lining them up like the girl was.

As to the game, Roll Tide!
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #6
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LMAO!!!

That was epic, the rest of this game won't be able to top the halftime show LOL, that guy is going to catch so much grief from his friends.
Hah yeah, that's been the highlight so far for me too. Just posted at the same time. You must spread yada yada yada
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah! the girl apparently had never thrown a football before...or at the least, needed lessons.

Epic fail for Florida fan.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2009   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first time I have really tried to watch Tebow play.

Not exactly a Gators fan, nor a Tebow fan.

HOWEVER.......

Watching (a) VY dismantle us with the option run, and (b) opposing defenses making Schaub look like a statue....

I am wondering if Tim Tebow might be a good QB for the Texans.

Check this out, and please just consider it:

1. Love them or hate them, the Titans have finally figured out that the way to use a mobile QB (VY) is to move him at the snap and get him into motion via the option. The other half of that equation is having a STELLAR running back who can hit the overdrive gear in an instant IF he gets the pitch.

This creates severe scheming disadvantages for NFL defenses who are BUILT on either stopping the run OR rushing the QB. Now you're facing an offense who bypasses run-stuffing d-lines OR pass-rushing d-lines. It's the best of both worlds for an offense like the Titans--They just go out there and let their athletes be who they are. And they are succeeding at it.

2. Tim Tebow is a big boy. He can run, too. And he is a WINNER at the college level. He has his head on straight. There will be no calling the police, wondering where he went off to without his cell phone after being boo'd by fans. He's a clean-cut Christian who has stuck to his morals. He's the sort of guy a man like Bob McNair wants on his team.

3. With Andre Johnson as a huge deep threat, and our possession-minded WRs (Anderson and Walter) and with Jacoby Jones also stretching defenders with his speed and range...Tim Tebow would have a very nice set of WRs to line up with. He would have guys who know what they're doing.

4. I would love to use Tebow against Jax and Tenn and use their own poison against them.

5. We could draft him and sit him the whole first season, only allowing him to play sparingly in preseason and in the reg season during garbage time. Giving him the Steve McNair treatment would be THE best thing for Tebow AND for Matt Schaub.

Because by the time 2010 is over, the Texans will know if they want to continue the Matt Schaub experiment or not. The only downer is that it DOES present a bit of an instant QB controversy that we will eventually have to deal with. Because Schaub believes he IS the guy, and not someone we draft in round 1 and sit for a year.

I just think we're dying a slow death by not having a MOBILE quarterback in the world of today's NFL.

And though I;m not a fan of Tebow nor of the Gators...I can watch a little bit of Tebow running around and making plays with his legs AND his arm...and I'm slowly becoming a bit of fan. Now, maybe it's because I watch us get schooled by VY and then have our own QB who has major mobility issues when under pressure or when the routes are shut down by DBs, but I'm becoming a believer in having a QB who has legs AND an arm.
Old 12-05-2009   #9
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

i bet that guy from florida plays intramurals and was trying to show off his laser rocket arm for coach meyer
Old 12-05-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

How many games would we have won if Matt Schaub is able to move around in the pocket and create an extra second or two of time for himself?

How much havoc could our WRs create, for LBs and DBs, if the Texans QB is extending plays and maybe running it right down their throat if they get too deep on the pass routes?

How many "clutch-time" games would we have won if we had a QB who has played on the biggest stage in the NCAA (title games!!!) and in a HUGE college football market such as Florida? The big knock on Carr was that he never really did play THE best of the best; that he never really played on a big stage and had to produce HIS best game against the best game of the best opponents.

Well, I think Tebow might defy the odds that are usually stacked against gimmicky college QBs who run the ball a lot. His size, his mentality, his ability to take what's given him and make something of it, is the stuff of a guy who finds a way to win.

We always talk about needing to have someone who just KNOWS how to win.

Is Tim Tebow that sort of guy? Or just another gimmick? Discuss.
Old 12-05-2009   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This is the first time I have really tried to watch Tebow play.

Not exactly a Gators fan, nor a Tebow fan.

HOWEVER.......

Watching (a) VY dismantle us with the option run, and (b) opposing defenses making Schaub look like a statue....

I am wondering if Tim Tebow might be a good QB for the Texans.

Check this out, and please just consider it:

1. Love them or hate them, the Titans have finally figured out that the way to use a mobile QB (VY) is to move him at the snap and get him into motion via the option. The other half of that equation is having a STELLAR running back who can hit the overdrive gear in an instant IF he gets the pitch.

This creates severe scheming disadvantages for NFL defenses who are BUILT on either stopping the run OR rushing the QB. Now you're facing an offense who bypasses run-stuffing d-lines OR pass-rushing d-lines. It's the best of both worlds for an offense like the Titans--They just go out there and let their athletes be who they are. And they are succeeding at it.

2. Tim Tebow is a big boy. He can run, too. And he is a WINNER at the college level. He has his head on straight. There will be no calling the police, wondering where he went off to without his cell phone after being boo'd by fans. He's a clean-cut Christian who has stuck to his morals. He's the sort of guy a man like Bob McNair wants on his team.

3. With Andre Johnson as a huge deep threat, and our possession-minded WRs (Anderson and Walter) and with Jacoby Jones also stretching defenders with his speed and range...Tim Tebow would have a very nice set of WRs to line up with. He would have guys who know what they're doing.

4. I would love to use Tebow against Jax and Tenn and use their own poison against them.

5. We could draft him and sit him the whole first season, only allowing him to play sparingly in preseason and in the reg season during garbage time. Giving him the Steve McNair treatment would be THE best thing for Tebow AND for Matt Schaub.

Because by the time 2010 is over, the Texans will know if they want to continue the Matt Schaub experiment or not. The only downer is that it DOES present a bit of an instant QB controversy that we will eventually have to deal with. Because Schaub believes he IS the guy, and not someone we draft in round 1 and sit for a year.

I just think we're dying a slow death by not having a MOBILE quarterback in the world of today's NFL.

And though I;m not a fan of Tebow nor of the Gators...I can watch a little bit of Tebow running around and making plays with his legs AND his arm...and I'm slowly becoming a bit of fan. Now, maybe it's because I watch us get schooled by VY and then have our own QB who has major mobility issues when under pressure or when the routes are shut down by DBs, but I'm becoming a believer in having a QB who has legs AND an arm.
Tebow is NOT Vince Young...His throwing mechanics are actually worse (he has a Byron Leftwich type release...super slow) and unlike Young he has absolutely no quickness, so he isn't going to outrun anybody or make anyone miss in the open field. Tebow's days of plowing over people will be over in a few weeks. He can run people over on the college gridiron, but if he tries to do that in the big boy league he's going to end up getting hurt.
Old 12-05-2009   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LMAO!!!

That was epic, the rest of this game won't be able to top the halftime show. LOL, that guy is going to catch so much grief from his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
The Florida guy in the halftime Dr. Pepper contest must feel like the biggest ass right now after losing to the Bama girl throwing lame ducks up. Like Danielson said, he was firing throws off like he was facing a zone blitz or something instead of taking his time and lining them up like the girl was.

As to the game, Roll Tide!
Yeah, but he still won a $32,000 scholarship. That aint chump change. His buddies can laugh all they want, but he may be laughing at the end of the day when he graduates from college with $32,000 less of debt! And quite frankly, I would love a $32,000 scholarship right about now.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Yeah, but he still won a $32,000 scholarship. That aint chump change. His buddies can laugh all they want, but he may be laughing at the end of the day when he graduates from college with $32,000 less of debt! And quite frankly, I would love a $32,000 scholarship right about now.
He's still going to get his fair share of laughs... But yeah 32K is nice.
Old 12-05-2009   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously you guys that think we need to draft a center and a guard need to watch C Maurkice Pouncey (#56, 6-4, 315), OG Mike Pouncey (#55, 64, 320) They are playing their asses off.
Old 12-05-2009   #15
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

brandon james out for the rest of the game is a big injury for the gators
Old 12-05-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Are Alabama's running backs good because they are good?

Or because of their o-line (mainly the Center)?

We talked about that during the 2009 draft discussions. Wondering if Glen Coffee was good because he was good, or because his line made him look good.

I don't watch SEC football, so what are your thoughts?
Old 12-05-2009   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Are Alabama's running backs good because they are good?

Or because of their o-line (mainly the Center)?

We talked about that during the 2009 draft discussions. Wondering if Glen Coffee was good because he was good, or because his line made him look good.

I don't watch SEC football, so what are your thoughts?
I think it's both... Glen Coffee was running over people when I watched him in preseason...certainly looked the part. I think they have quality runners and lineman.
Old 12-05-2009   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Looks like Alabama is going to the BCS Championship game. They played great tonight.....McElroy looks like a legit QB now, which is scary for Texas fans everywhere (assuming they also win tonight)
Old 12-05-2009   #19
treduke
All Pro

in other college football news arizona has beat usc!
and notre dame is close to naming a coach
Old 12-05-2009   #20
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66583 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

awful throw by Tebow. He had the refs on his side and everything.

No on Tebow to Houston. I don't want a Texan making those kinds of throws in the fourth.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read