Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Scout's Take on the Texans

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2009...09-Vol298a.mp3

Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah ( http:www.twitter.com/MoveTheSticks ) does this weekly podcast... the Texans are the 3rd topic discussed if you don't wanna hear the whole thing

When a scout says the team lacks mental toughness I'll listen... I know fans have been saying it for awhile and I've denied it but its become apparent now. And thats a head coach's responsibility.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Scout's Take on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
http://podcast.footballguys.com/2009...09-Vol298a.mp3

Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah ( http:www.twitter.com/MoveTheSticks ) does this weekly podcast... the Texans are the 3rd topic discussed if you don't wanna hear the whole thing

When a scout says the team lacks mental toughness I'll listen... I know fans have been saying it for awhile and I've denied it but its become apparent now. And thats a head coach's responsibility.
Just about everywhere I've looked or listened to where analysts or reporters from other cities have talked about the Texans they've all basically said this exact same thing and blamed the Texans failures on coaching.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The team is a reflection of our powder puff owner, who I have the deepest gratitude for bringing an NFL franchise to Houston, btw. But he's still a powder puff until he proves otherwise. 31 NFL owners agree.
Old 12-03-2009   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Just about everywhere I've looked or listened to where analysts or reporters from other cities have talked about the Texans they've all basically said this exact same thing and blamed the Texans failures on coaching.
I'm more apt to listen to a scout than some reporter or radio host though so this was more of a wake up call for me because I always denied it but I can't anymore. This team lacks the toughness to close out games. We continue to think that just because we dominate a 1st 2nd or 3rd quarter that its over. This is the reason why I think the season is over and we need a new head coach that can install a close out the game attitude. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we jumped out on Jacksonville this weekend and so on and we see this same pattern.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting stuff.

They start talking about the Texans at 5:05.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #6
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The team is a reflection of our powder puff owner, who I have the deepest gratitude for bringing an NFL franchise to Houston, btw. But he's still a powder puff until he proves otherwise. 31 NFL owners agree.
You sound like you have lost faith.
dont let the frustration get to you my friend.....drink some battle red koolaid.

granted I understand the frustration...but take a drink or two or a hundred and get back to the good ole fashioned DB.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
You sound like you have lost faith.
dont let the frustration get to you my friend.....drink some battle red koolaid.

granted I understand the frustration...but take a drink or two or a hundred and get back to the good ole fashioned DB.
yeah, you're right, bro'. Unfortunately, it's the result of high expectations being deflated at this point.

But I'm still with ya', rooting every Sunday and hoping that the football gods bestow a miraculous and unprecedented 5 game win streak on us along with the losses we need from other teams to squeak into the playoffs!

How's that for some battle red koolaide for ya'! GO TEXANS!!
Old 12-03-2009   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Michael Lombardi has said this repeatedly over the last year, but everytime someone mentions his name we spend most of thread hearing how he is not a credible source. the perception that the Texans are soft, especially mentally is not new.
Old 12-03-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I know Michael Lombardi has said this repeatedly over the last year, but everytime someone mentions his name we spend most of thread hearing how he is not a credible source. the perception that the Texans are soft, especially mentally is not new.
What they call "mental softness", I call "youth". None of the high impact players on this team, other than Antonio Smith, have any real experience winning in the NFL. So, it's taking a little more time than we'd like. On the bright side, with the wealth of young talent in place, time is something this organization may have. TexanChick has been ahead of this issue all season... even her current article about Schaub sheds light on it as well. Other than A. Rodgers, none of the top throwing QBs have fewer starts than he does. Interestingly, Rodgers has also taken a lot of heat for losing games even when his numbers are good.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is a reflection of Bob McNair.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This team is a reflection of Bob McNair.
I don't think that old, bald and ugly is the way I would describe the Texans.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I don't think that old, bald and ugly is the way I would describe the Texans.
I would describe them as vanilla, unwilling to take risks and a corporate team.

How would you describe them?
Old 12-04-2009   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Peaches and cream.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #14
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Put the coffee down! Coffee is for closers!
ABC,A always, B be ,C Closing!
Gentlemen to win in the NFL you need BRASS BALLS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROhl...eature=related
Not safe for work
Old 12-04-2009   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Peaches and cream.
Apt discription
Old 12-04-2009   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like all the lowered expectations and excuses this time of year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #17
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Young, mistake prone, and unmotivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I like all the lowered expectations and excuses this time of year.
I predicted 7-9 in the offseason, so I guess I'm ahead of the trend.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

snakebit & spine-less
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to me that the road to mental toughness starts in training camp with tackling and hitting drills.

Have any of you guys that have been to TC sessions actually seen these drills?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
What they call "mental softness", I call "youth". None of the high impact players on this team, other than Antonio Smith, have any real experience winning in the NFL. So, it's taking a little more time than we'd like. On the bright side, with the wealth of young talent in place, time is something this organization may have. TexanChick has been ahead of this issue all season... even her current article about Schaub sheds light on it as well. Other than A. Rodgers, none of the top throwing QBs have fewer starts than he does. Interestingly, Rodgers has also taken a lot of heat for losing games even when his numbers are good.
Yeah, but young players who do not win can become old players that do not win. I mean how many times can we point to the old Saints who had lots of youthful teams that went absolutely nowhere. How about the pre/post Barry Sanders Detroit Lions. We have players on our team that have expierenced winning at College and below levels. Just to name a few: Cush(USC), AJ(Miami), Meco(Bama), Caldwell(Bama), Studdard(Texas), Winston (Miami), etc. They have experienced winning before. All of these guys (and lots of others on the team) came from schools that routinely won more games than they lost. Many of them came from schools that competed for division or Natl Championships each year. They may not have won at the NFL level, but they know what winning is like.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read