Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2009   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do you really want a Super Bowl winning head coach?

Has any coach ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different franchises? I googled a bit and couldn't come up with one. A few have gotten back but not won, like Parcells.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you really want a Super Bowl winning head coach?

I would settle for a coach that's had a winning season.
Old 12-03-2009   #3
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I would settle for a coach that's had a winning season.
Like Dom Capers?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Has any coach ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different franchises? I googled a bit and couldn't come up with one. A few have gotten back but not won, like Parcells.
Holmgren went with two different teams and came close to winning 3 SB's actually. They barely lost that 2nd SB to Elway and that team that he had to work with in Seattle really wasn't that great in my opinion. I thought they over achieved honestly and almost won that SB against Cowher and the Steelers.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect any coach we hire here in Houston to spark a series of "firsts". I expect him to be the first coach for the Texans to post a winning season for instance. Asking him to also be the first head coach to ever take a second team to a Super Bowl and win seems like a small matter indeed compared to that.

And Dick Vermiel took the Eagles to the Super Bowl and lost, then decades later took the Rams there and won so he actually did better on his second team.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like Dom Capers?
Sadly, his record is better than Kubiak's at this point (with regards to resume). He's not only had a winning season (yeah, o.k., just one), but he's been to a conference championship game as a HC. I'm not defending the guy, but it's clear that he did not have a hand in picking his GM, his coaches, or his goofy starting QB. His hands were tied when he took the job. Kubiak's hands are just being held by the owner instead.
Old 12-03-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Dungy

If you count the Buccaneers 2002 SB Win
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like Dom Capers?
Hindsight's 20/20, but I don't know what made Casserly and McNair ever think that Capers would be a good coach for this team.

The guy had one winning season in his career to that point. Even then, he had the benefit of a favorable expansion draft.

To your point, I don't really care if a Super Bowl winning HC came here or not. I think they had the right formula when they started the Texans.

1. Strong GM
2. Defensive-minded coach

The problem is that the ingredients were totally wrong.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

There has been a number of coaches to take 2 franchises to the SB, but not to win with both...

Some have lost both.

Any coach that could take the Texans to a SB would be fine with me.
Old 12-03-2009   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Hindsight's 20/20, but I don't know what made Casserly and McNair ever think that Capers would be a good coach for this team.

The guy had one winning season in his career to that point. Even then, he had the benefit of a favorable expansion draft.

To your point, I don't really care if a Super Bowl winning HC came here or not. I think they had the right formula when they started the Texans.

1. Strong GM
2. Defensive-minded coach

The problem is that the ingredients were totally wrong.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I don't know what made McNair ever think that Casserly would be a good GM for any team. Dude has not worked for an NFL team since he left here, and there is good reason for that.
Old 12-03-2009   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes we cant even reach the playoffs much less a SB !!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #12
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher yes. Gruden NO.
Old 12-04-2009   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Tony Dungy

To be fair, the Bucs decimated the Raiders in that game because Gruden was so familiar with the offense that he coached the defense to exploit all the offensive calls and to know exactly what plays were going to be run at what moment. The week before the Super Bowl Gruden practiced as Rich Gannon to give the team an idea of exactly how and when Rich wanted to throw the ball.

But I'm definitely not arguing that Gruden rode Dungy's coattails. I'm just saying there's a bit more to coaching than just having talent (Unfortunately, as much as I hate to admit it, I would have to concede the same thing to Barry Switzer).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Tony Dungy

But, you can't, since Dungy couldnt win with that team.
Old 12-04-2009   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody gets on Gruden for taking Tony Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and I'm not here to dispute that.

I'd just like to point out that Bill Callahan took John Gruden's team to that same Super Bowl and nobody ever points that out.

I don't think Gruden is the man for the job (our job) but I don't know why he's dismissed by so many people either. It's not like he's Barry Switzer or something. He coached for 11 years and only posted 3 losing seasons and has a ring.

In short he's probably a better coach than anybody to ever take a Houston NFL team on to the field with the possible exception of Bum Phillips.
Old 12-04-2009   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Everybody gets on Gruden for taking Tony Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and I'm not here to dispute that.

I'd just like to point out that Bill Callahan took John Gruden's team to that same Super Bowl and nobody ever points that out.

I don't think Gruden is the man for the job (our job) but I don't know why he's dismissed by so many people either. It's not like he's Barry Switzer or something. He coached for 11 years and only posted 3 losing seasons and has a ring.

In short he's probably a better coach than anybody to ever take a Houston NFL team on to the field with the possible exception of Bum Phillips.
Wally Lemm?

Last edited by JB; 12-04-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Wally Lemm?
A career .500 coach I'm afraid. 4 losing seasons in 10 years though he did have a ring.
Old 12-04-2009   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
A career .500 coach I'm afraid. 4 losing seasons in 10 years though he did have a ring.
His team went 10-0 for him in '61 to get him that ring after he took over for Rymkus
Old 12-04-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have never cared for Gruden.

There's just something there that, to me, doesn't add up.

Quirky, football-minded personality. Enthusiastic. Blunt. Seems like he has the football head coach act down to a science/art.

But I still can't put my finger on why I always felt he was overrated or not nearly as big of a winner as his track record points toward.

Look, everybody needs to just slow down and have these discussions this time next season. Because Gurry Kubiak will be back for 2010.

Slow and steady wins the race...
Old 12-04-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not huge on the Gruden wagon, I just hate when people completly dismiss his Super Bowl ring. Rdeally bugs me. There are alot of worse canidates than Gruden. He would have to be on a short list, IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read