Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2009   #1
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pereira admits pass interference call was wrong

Mike Pereira admitted on Official Review that the pass interference call on Jacques Reeves that resulted in a 43 penalty was the wrong call. Small consolation at this point though.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #2
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pereira admits pass interference call was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Mike Pereira admitted on Official Review that the pass interference call on Jacques Reeves that resulted in a 43 penalty was the wrong call. Small consolation at this point though.
I was close to that endzone after that play, you could see it in him, he was shaky after, i was upset....

i agree, small consolation...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #3
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Did he admit to his extra marital affair with Peyton Manning, and all the other officials that have had relations with #18?
Old 12-02-2009   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

that is twice we have heard ..."that was the wrong call". At this point I wish they wouldn't have said a word.. what is done is done. I am not sure there is any accountability with the officials anyways with the league office.. I try to understand that officials are human, but that was a huge gain that they screwed us on

It didn't cost us the game overall but it did swing momentum and Texans have to learn how to swing it back.

but your right Tex .. small consolation
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
that is twice we have heard ..."that was the wrong call". At this point I wish they wouldn't have said a word.. what is done is done. I am not sure there is any accountability with the officials anyways with the league office.. I try to understand that officials are human, but that was a huge gain that they screwed us on

It didn't cost us the game overall but it did swing momentum and Texans have to learn how to swing it back.

but your right Tex .. small consolation
was'nt it 3rd down?
Old 12-03-2009   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Do the officials even know what pass interference is anymore?

The rule has changed so drastically in the last five years that you could probably call it on any given play in a game and have probable cause for throwing the flag (based on the rules).

Most ridiculous foul in all of sports right now.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Do the officials even know what pass interference is anymore?

The rule has changed so drastically in the last five years that you could probably call it on any given play in a game and have probable cause for throwing the flag (based on the rules).

Most ridiculous foul in all of sports right now.
It ruins the quality of NFL football. It really does.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2009   #8
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree, I think it was a huge factor in the game. I believe it was 3rd down and their opening posession of the 2nd half after we had been busting them in the jaw the whole first half. This was a big punch to the gut on a ball that was clearly not catchable, and it started the melt down. Had that been a no call, they punt the fans stay really pumped and the Texans probably end up with the ball around midfield with big mo still on their back. They admit it was a bad call...well big Fing whooptydoo. How about the NFL forget to mail them their paycheck this week. Keep the Fing flag in your pants!
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #9
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I disagree, I think it was a huge factor in the game. I believe it was 3rd down and their opening posession of the 2nd half after we had been busting them in the jaw the whole first half. This was a big punch to the gut on a ball that was clearly not catchable, and it started the melt down. Had that been a no call, they punt the fans stay really pumped and the Texans probably end up with the ball around midfield with big mo still on their back. They admit it was a bad call...well big Fing whooptydoo. How about the NFL forget to mail them their paycheck this week. Keep the Fing flag in your pants!
It was actually 2nd down. The incompletion would have brought 3rd & 2. Now if Houston was able to stop the next play... who knows what difference it could have made? If Colts punt and Texans score a TD on the very next series, would have been 27 - 7 in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

It's very hypothetical... but you can't ignore the bad call was a factor in the loss. I'm not saying it costed them the victory, but it surely didn't help.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The penalty came on their first drive of the 2nd half but was on 1st and 10. Anytime you give 43 yards to Manning it is significant. Then Quinn didn't look at the ball and gave them 1st and goal on the 1. Of course you can't say that would have happened if you don't get the free 43 yds.
Old 12-03-2009   #11
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

What I'm more angry about is that in both games against the Colts, all 'iffy' calls have been going against Houston. Texans can't catch a break!

In the next series, on 1st & 10, Schaub tried to go deep to AJ. There was some bumping between AJ & the corner... but the ball wasn't catchable, good no call by the refs, and it ended up being intercepted.

It was very similar to the play in the previous series, except the Colts got the call.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #12
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
It was actually 2nd down. The incompletion would have brought 3rd & 2. Now if Houston was able to stop the next play... who knows what difference it could have made? If Colts punt and Texans score a TD on the very next series, would have been 27 - 7 in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

It's very hypothetical... but you can't ignore the bad call was a factor in the loss. I'm not saying it costed them the victory, but it surely didn't help.
More importantly, it was a momentum changer. Peyton gets in everyone's heads. This team has to shake off crap like that, because he's ALWAYS going to get those calls. That's why 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 in the 2nd quarter should have been attacking downs instead of "padding your lead" downs. You go up 21-0 instead of 17-0, and the Colts have to take a different approach. It changes everything.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #13
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1276 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
What I'm more angry about is that in both games against the Colts, all 'iffy' calls have been going against Houston. Texans can't catch a break!

In the next series, on 1st & 10, Schaub tried to go deep to AJ. There was some bumping between AJ & the corner... but the ball wasn't catchable, good no call by the refs, and it ended up being intercepted.

It was very similar to the play in the previous series, except the Colts got the call.
Isn't it up to the Texans to make the breaks for themselves? I mean the call was most certainly iffy at best, but the Texans D had plenty of opportunities to make plays after the PI call. If you point to that play being a momentum changer, when it was in a series that only got the Colts to within 6 points, doesn't that speak to a larger issue of the Texans not being mentally tough. If your team goes into the tank because of a bad call, that is a much bigger problem than the bad call itself.
Indy Skinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Get a rope. We'll take care of this the Texan way.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody mentioned earlier in another thread that calls like this raise the
question of "dirty refs" (that's my term). Or let's just say refs with a predisposition, conscious or subconscious, as to who wins the game ? How is
that not a fair and reasonable assertion given what's going on in other stages these days regarding officiating ?
What makes this especially hard and galling to take is of course it's a call against the home-field team. This didn't happen in Indy. And the sheer enorimity of it in terms of yardage (nearly half the length of the football field) and timing ? Now if you going to tell me that the home-team doesn't have an advantage on calls, I'm going to advise you to grow-up.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post
Isn't it up to the Texans to make the breaks for themselves? I mean the call was most certainly iffy at best, but the Texans D had plenty of opportunities to make plays after the PI call. If you point to that play being a momentum changer, when it was in a series that only got the Colts to within 6 points, doesn't that speak to a larger issue of the Texans not being mentally tough. If your team goes into the tank because of a bad call, that is a much bigger problem than the bad call itself.
I totally agree with every word of this post.

The PI was a horrible call, but BS calls happen every game. We need to be able to overcome them.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #17
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I totally agree with every word of this post.

The PI was a horrible call, but BS calls happen every game. We need to be able to overcome them.
I have always been of the disposition that refs don't win games for teams, no matter how bad the call, and I still stick to that assertion.

However, the sheer number of bad calls we've gotten in our last 3 games (and big games for us, too), are more than an annoyance. I get the rule that caused Eugene to get fine for a forearm to the head in the 1st Colts game, but it's still tackle football and I disagree with how strict they are about those rules. The Cushing fine for tapping Vince out of bounds was beyond absurd, there's no justification for that call (in my opinion, of course).

I really do feel like both calls on Antonion last week were bogus as well, the hit on clark on the INT I feel was a solid play to keep Clark out of position to make the tackle (at least from the view on the t.v. it looked as though he was within range, and we all know Clark is faster than Cushing), and the roughing the passer I feel was rediculous, it seemed almost unquestionable to me that Antonio was blocked into Peyton, and even if he wasn't, there was no malice in his hand making contact with Peyton's helmet (i.e. it was a play involving momentum and he didn't attempt a dirty play after the pass).

We all know the 1st P.I. call was laughable, but I really feel like (and most might disagree with me here) that the 2nd flag was a bad call also. The slow-mo appeared to show no significant contact interfering in the ability to make a catch by either player, but it seems to show that the flag was thrown because the receiver fell down (of his own volition, mind you) and because Glover wasn't looking at the ball. You could surely call it either way, but I think a flag there was a bad decision.

Again, while the momentum shift because of the call killed us in the end, that's a problem with our team and the coaching, not the refs. I find it odd that we've been getting terrible calls in our biggest games this year (I'm still confused how they call Connor offides in the 1st Colts game AFTER the play was run). I'm not of the ilk that thinks the NFL fixes games, but I certainly think that it's plausible (though I'm not arguing that it happens) that refs have favorite/hated teams or a bias for one team over another, and that if given the chance for a subjective call, they throw the flag (whether consciously or unconsciouly intending to give one team a favor over another).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Did he admit to his extra marital affair with Peyton Manning, and all the other officials that have had relations with #18?
Old 12-03-2009   #19
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I have always been of the disposition that refs don't win games for teams, no matter how bad the call, and I still stick to that assertion.

However, the sheer number of bad calls we've gotten in our last 3 games (and big games for us, too), are more than an annoyance. I get the rule that caused Eugene to get fine for a forearm to the head in the 1st Colts game, but it's still tackle football and I disagree with how strict they are about those rules. The Cushing fine for tapping Vince out of bounds was beyond absurd, there's no justification for that call (in my opinion, of course).

I really do feel like both calls on Antonion last week were bogus as well, the hit on clark on the INT I feel was a solid play to keep Clark out of position to make the tackle (at least from the view on the t.v. it looked as though he was within range, and we all know Clark is faster than Cushing), and the roughing the passer I feel was rediculous, it seemed almost unquestionable to me that Antonio was blocked into Peyton, and even if he wasn't, there was no malice in his hand making contact with Peyton's helmet (i.e. it was a play involving momentum and he didn't attempt a dirty play after the pass).

We all know the 1st P.I. call was laughable, but I really feel like (and most might disagree with me here) that the 2nd flag was a bad call also. The slow-mo appeared to show no significant contact interfering in the ability to make a catch by either player, but it seems to show that the flag was thrown because the receiver fell down (of his own volition, mind you) and because Glover wasn't looking at the ball. You could surely call it either way, but I think a flag there was a bad decision.

Again, while the momentum shift because of the call killed us in the end, that's a problem with our team and the coaching, not the refs. I find it odd that we've been getting terrible calls in our biggest games this year (I'm still confused how they call Connor offides in the 1st Colts game AFTER the play was run). I'm not of the ilk that thinks the NFL fixes games, but I certainly think that it's plausible (though I'm not arguing that it happens) that refs have favorite/hated teams or a bias for one team over another, and that if given the chance for a subjective call, they throw the flag (whether consciously or unconsciouly intending to give one team a favor over another).
If the NFL does not get this under control, they will have a serious image problem worse than the Black Sox scandal. The integrity of the game is at stake.

Surely there is a young Marvin Zindler type looking for thier own Chicken Ranch story. Officialgate looks like a good one ready to break open.

Seriously, the NFL has to do something. Start suspending these guys, withhold pay something. As long as they get away with it, they will continue to do it.

Here is another point. At any time one of the other refs could have stepped in and said, "Hey man. I think you blew this one. Better pick the flag up and waive it off."

It happens all of the time in games I am officiating.

Last edited by Pantherstang84; 12-03-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #20
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Even the players are talking about the refs. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
• If the NFL is truly concerned about player safety, it will quickly change its policy on having officials delay whistling plays dead. A prime example of this was at the end of the first half of the Indianapolis-Houston game when Texans defensive back Brice McCain(notes) intercepted a pass by Peyton Manning(notes). McCain was eventually ruled down by contact on the play. However, instead of whistling the play dead immediately, the officials let it play out as McCain attempted to return the ball and was eventually decked on a high hit. Sure, McCain was OK, but by allowing the play to go on, he was exposed to an unnecessary hit. “You have to talk to the refs about how they’re instructed to handle that,” Colts tight end Dallas Clark(notes) said. “But if the play is down, they should do what they can to make sure the play is dead so nobody gets hurt.” That may sound like an insignificant issue, but if there are five to 10 plays like that per week, you’re talking about 100 to 200 extra hits over the course of a season
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read