Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-01-2009   #1
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans on Sirius (Head Coach Talk)

So I was finally able to get through today with 'The Red Zone' on Sirius. My question was, what has happened, what do they think it is?

Coach Schottenheimer responded with some really good input, stuff we already know, then the talk turned to coaching.

Both Solomon Wilcots & Marty Schottenheimer seem to think this will be Kubiaks last year and talked about how they think Mike Shanahan would be the best pick (we have so many pieces of that system in place, Kyle, etc)

Said if they were Bob McNair and he was even remotely thinking of a change, to open the checkbook and go for Mike.

Then they called out Dunta for "lack of leadership" on the defensive side. They blasted him big time. Brought up the whole "pay me Rick" thing.

I was surprised how much time they actually spent on the subject and how open the coach replacement talk was.

I was waiting to hear other names brought up about the coaching issue, was shocked a little at Mike's name.
Old 12-01-2009   #2
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans on Sirius (Head Coach Talk)

This is not the first time i have heard about Shanahan coming to the Texans. Would make the most sense considering we are still Denver South.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I am not sure how I would feel about Mike being here to replace Kubiak, it would be strange. That being said, I just want us to win. I am betting McNair gives Kubes another year especially if we finish 9-7 or so. I wouldn't mind Kubiak being gone if it meant getting Cowher in here, I am rapidly getting to the point where I think he needs to go no matter what though.
Old 12-01-2009   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Yeah, I am not sure how I would feel about Mike being here to replace Kubiak, it would be strange. That being said, I just want us to win. I am betting McNair gives Kubes another year especially if we finish 9-7 or so. I wouldn't mind Kubiak being gone if it meant getting Cowher in here, I am rapidly getting to the point where I think he needs to go no matter what though.
I'm not sure that Cowher is the answer. Since he's not a coordinator, his success is largely dependent on getting the right OC and DC. And, a lot of his top choices are gainfully employed and doing well in other places.

Also, Cowher will likely want control of personnel and that is something he hasn't proven. And, do we boot Rick Smith out of here. Seems to me that he's done an awfully good job... The more I think about this, the more I think we need to give Kubiak one more season, even if this one continues to tank.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't get excited about Shanahan whatsoever.

I think John Elway had a lot more to do with his success than he did.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #6
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher hasn't been proven with personnel? Not sure about that one.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Cowher hasn't been proven with personnel? Not sure about that one.
Then you don't understand how the Steelers run their organization.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2009   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

why were u shocked this is Mike Denvers system the keys are in place he wouldnt have to waste his time changing stuff

i still think kubes should stay but if he didnt i would want mike for at least 2 years to see what can happen
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

Really? Not trying to be facetious, but analyze this:

Elway spent 10 years with Reeves, two with Wade Phillips = 12 seasons and zero championships. 4 years with Shanahan two championships.

BTW, I am not a Mike Shanahan fan by any stretch.
Old 12-01-2009   #10
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I think Denver's owner knee jerked last year.

Shanahan was a defensive coordinator away from having it all put back together last year. I think his ego killed him in Denver.

Bringing him here would be awkward in my opinion. I don't know that he would take the job knowing that he would replace his trusted understudy.

If McNair is thinking along this route, bring him on board in a Bill Parcells Miami role now.

Tell him, "Look Mike. Gary is struggling. Come in here the last 5 weeks and tutor him a little bit."
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #11
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ditto! If the system isn't working for Kubes why would it work for Shanny?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm not sure that Cowher is the answer. Since he's not a coordinator, his success is largely dependent on getting the right OC and DC. And, a lot of his top choices are gainfully employed and doing well in other places.

Also, Cowher will likely want control of personnel and that is something he hasn't proven. And, do we boot Rick Smith out of here. Seems to me that he's done an awfully good job... The more I think about this, the more I think we need to give Kubiak one more season, even if this one continues to tank.
I don't see the problem there. In 15 years in the league you meet a lot of people. In 15 mostly successful years you make a lot of friends and cross a lot of paths. When Bill Parcells lands somewhere he never seems to have any trouble finding somebody to run his offense and defense. For that matter when most good coaches lose coordinators to promotions and opportunities elsewhere they never seem to miss a beat promoting the next guy in line or bringing back somebody who didn't do well as the top guy on another team. Only inexperienced guys and guys who don't have what it takes to be a head coach seem to have trouble finding decent coordinators.

If Cowher is the coach many of us believe him to be then filling these positions isn't going to be the nightmare it's being made out to be.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Ditto! If the system isn't working for Kubes why would it work for Shanny?
Because Shanny would know to put in guys like Jacoby Jones. He would also know how to run the clock better and he would also know how to make a challenge. Give the team a sense of urgency better then Kubes does.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #14
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

SO tired of the Shanahan talk. It's more far fetched than the Cowher craze.

I just don't think Shanahan would take a job that his good friend just got fired from. I don't. And, I think Baby Shanny wants to forge his own identity, not work for his dad.

And, in my own personal opinion, I want some big, fat lineman. Not sure if Shanny is up for that.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #15
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Kimmy, I heard you on the radio....it was nice to hear a Texans question instead of a NYG/Cowgirls/Steelers question. By the way, I think it was Alex Marvez on instead of Solomon.

I hope Alex is right about Mike Shanahan. It would be cool to have the Shanahan mafia whip this team into shape instead of the whimpy Kubiak disguised as Dom Capers.

I'm getting tired of the Kubiak "I'll take all the blame" excuses.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Poppa Shanahan would be change for the sake of change...and really it wouldn't be much changing. Not for me.

Just thinking out loud here....Bruce Matthews as a HC?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #17
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not a Shanahan disciple either but there is some logic in this post I can't follow.

The man has two rings. How many current head coaches in the NFL can say that?

By contrast Tony Dungy, "the greatest coach in modern history" has how many? How long did it take him to get it? (crap just gave away the answer to the first question)

To say Denver's successes under Shanahan was all Elway and Shanahan had nothing to do with it is just idotic.
Old 12-01-2009   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Poppa Shanahan would be change for the sake of change...and really it wouldn't be much changing. Not for me.

Just thinking out loud here....Bruce Matthews as a HC?
No more experiments.
Old 12-01-2009   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
No more experiments.
co-sign
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Really? Not trying to be facetious, but analyze this:

Elway spent 10 years with Reeves, two with Wade Phillips = 12 seasons and zero championships. 4 years with Shanahan two championships.

BTW, I am not a Mike Shanahan fan by any stretch.
Shanahan also had a lot more to work with in terms of talent than Reeves or Phillips ever did.

I think it was a mutually beneficial relationship....I just think that Elway did more for Shanahan than the other way around.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read