Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Thankyou Antonio Smith

I'm watching the game on TV now.

At the game, I saw Antonio put his hands on Peyton to force that Brian Cushing INT, & put Peyton on his ass.

Then the roughing the passer call, that came later.... I know we got 15 yards and an automatic 1st down. But he got his hands on Peyton again.

I like that. I'll take that roughing the passer on Peyton 3 or 4 times a game. If you want to get Peyton out of his game.....

That's what it takes.

Antonio had a great game yesterday.
Old 11-30-2009   #2
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thankyou Antonio Smith

he did have 30 yards of penalties on those 2 plays your talking about.
Old 11-30-2009   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
he did have 30 yards of penalties on those 2 plays your talking about.
That'll get Payton out of his rhythm.

I did like that Smith was finally getting some pressure on the QB though.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

At the game, I saw Antonio put his hands on Peyton to force that Brian Cushing INT, & put Peyton on his ass.

Then the roughing the passer call, that came later.... I know we got 15 yards and an automatic 1st down. But he got his hands on Peyton again.

I like that. I'll take that roughing the passer on Peyton 3 or 4 times a game. If you want to get Peyton out of his game.....

That's what it takes.

Smith has 3 critical personal fouls in the last two games amongst other non 15 yard penalties. All of this happened when it counted most and he has had some trouble with penalties pretty much all year. I like his anger and intensity but he seems like a higher paid Antwan Peek to me. Peek would make plays too but he would also blow it and cost the team when it counted.

That being said, Smith has outplayed Mario since about Week 2 and he does seem to care about winning and has some pride. He could be part of the solution and doesn't look to be part of the problem. He just needs to channel it better and he needs to realize that the Colts are the darlings of the NFL. Those guys get every call and will continue to get the calls until the day Peyton retires. He seems like less of a Weaver then he did earlier in the season but now he is coming off a little Peekish. Dude needs to get his mind right without losing the mean streak.

It's also quite obvious that Kubiak's teams aren't getting much benefit of the doubt from NFL refs. Is that because he is so stoic and non-confrontational? Would they get more calls if they knew Kubiak was gonna be in their face calling them out? Players got to be smarter especially against teams like the Colts. They get every call coming to them and then some that are made up and its not gonna change anytime soon.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 11-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
That'll get Payton out of his rhythm.

I did like that Smith was finally getting some pressure on the QB though.
Finally? He has been getting hits and pressures all season long but the only thing people care about is sacks. At one point, Mario and Smith were #1 and #2 on pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Is that because he is so stoic and non-confrontational? Would they get more calls if they knew Kubiak was gonna be in their face calling them out?
Other then pulling a Bud Adams or mooning the refs what is he supposed to do? He has cussed at the refs, walked onto the field, etc. umpteen times this season. This is the kind of thing that just chaps me. Criticize Kubiak for something legitimate like not snapping the ball after the Moats fumble, fine. But perpetuating a stoic myth, no. Dude paces the sideline, talks and yells at the refs all the time. Did you see how far onto the field he was after the phantom Reeves PI on Sunday?

Last edited by infantrycak; 11-30-2009 at 08:41 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Would they get more calls if they knew Kubiak was gonna be in their face calling them out?
I don't know, but I don't see how he can stand not too.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio Smith has been a different player the past few games... really has stepped his game up

I keep hearing scouts think he's an even better player as a 3-4 defensive end... know any coaches who run this defense?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2009   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Antonio Smith has been a different player the past few games... really has stepped his game up

I keep hearing scouts think he's an even better player as a 3-4 defensive end... know any coaches who run this defense?
I got a feeling there might be some good HCs available who run the 3-4...
Old 11-30-2009   #9
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Finally? He has been getting hits and pressures all season long but the only thing people care about is sacks. At one point, Mario and Smith were #1 and #2 on pressures.

Other then pulling a Bud Adams or mooning the refs what is he supposed to do? He has cussed at the refs, walked onto the field, etc. umpteen times this season. This is the kind of thing that just chaps me. Criticize Kubiak for something legitimate like not snapping the ball after the Moats fumble, fine. But perpetuating a stoic myth, no. Dude paces the sideline, talks and yells at the refs all the time. Did you see how far onto the field he was after the phantom Reeves PI on Sunday?
Half the time I when I look to the sidelines Kubiak isn't even watching the game. He couldn't even watch the field goal attempt against the titans.. He always seems disconnected during the game, and especially after it during his press conference.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Half the time I when I look to the sidelines Kubiak isn't even watching the game. He couldn't even watch the field goal attempt against the titans.. He always seems disconnected during the game, and especially after it during his press conference.
That's just ignorant BS. Kubiak watches and comments constantly on the sideline. He has a well known and long standing trait of turning his back on crucial plays. That isn't indifference.
Old 11-30-2009   #11
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub got hit in face and no call. Yes the Smith contact in Mannings face was a penalty, but of course no call on #8.
Old 11-30-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's just ignorant BS. Kubiak watches and comments constantly on the sideline. He has a well known and long standing trait of turning his back on crucial plays. That isn't indifference.
It may not be indifference but good lord. can't watch the critical plays? I've pointed out to people in the stands how he doesn't watch the play sometimes. How the hell can you make smart decisions about what is going on if you can't friggin' watch the play live? It's not like he can rewind. The only way you know to exploit this guy or that guy is to watch. This doesn't strike you as a childish behavior trait that gives him less information than it would if he just watched the friggin play? It's like watching a little girl put her hand over her face during a scary movie.

On the thread topic, I lost respect for Smith last week, but if he can play angry I can deal with not playing like Anthony Weaver (his play early in the year).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How dare you interject fact (on both points).... What the heck is the matter with you?? Let's not interfere with the perpetuation of these myths.
Old 12-01-2009   #14
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon
It's also quite obvious that Kubiak's teams aren't getting much benefit of the doubt from NFL refs. Is that because he is so stoic and non-confrontational? Would they get more calls if they knew Kubiak was gonna be in their face calling them out? Players got to be smarter especially against teams like the Colts. They get every call coming to them and then some that are made up and its not gonna change anytime soon.
I don't think that is on the head coach. Home teams get the calls when they have a rabid fanbase that puts fear into the hearts of the refs. For example, I reference the "Immaculate Deception" of Pittsburgh Steeler fame. The referees let that play stand as a TD because they were afraid that the Steelers fans would actually do them bodily harm. So, you see the impetus is on the fans.
Old 12-01-2009   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
It may not be indifference but good lord. can't watch the critical plays? I've pointed out to people in the stands how he doesn't watch the play sometimes. How the hell can you make smart decisions about what is going on if you can't friggin' watch the play live? It's not like he can rewind. The only way you know to exploit this guy or that guy is to watch. This doesn't strike you as a childish behavior trait that gives him less information than it would if he just watched the friggin play? It's like watching a little girl put her hand over her face during a scary movie.

On the thread topic, I lost respect for Smith last week, but if he can play angry I can deal with not playing like Anthony Weaver (his play early in the year).
They showed on TV Sunday how he ignored Kris Brown's first kick and then seemed to be asking about it in the headphones.....the one that barely went over the top of the upright.
Old 12-01-2009   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank him? He made a decent play in a LOSS. Meh, the play means nada to me now.
Old 12-01-2009   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems like it's the opposite problem that we had with Capers. He was too focused on the big picture (to the point that he started micro-managing the offense.)

Kubiak's too focused on the offense to the point that he neglects the big picture.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #18
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, he has been a pretty good player for us. Very disruptive and a force. QUite frankly any time we get a hit with a free agency i am happy with it. its clear he is no anthony weaver
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
The only times I have noted him not watching the game when it isn't clear he is doing something else like looking at the play list, looking at photos, etc. is on the end of game/potential game winning plays. I think that is odd but doesn't affect anything and doesn't reflect indifference. Also his sideline demeanor was well known prior to him being hired. This just has the feel of finding something to grouse about to me.
Old 12-01-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

That's what it takes.

Yep, if you can't sack 'em cost your team 15 yards. Just curious, how many roughing the passer calls has Mario had in last two years? Maybe if he would just go for the head, he might turn into a good player.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read