Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005   #281
outofhnd
All Pro

That is not what I am saying at all!

I am just noticing a pattern in his running that is not good I thought i would mention some other big name backs that have been NFL busts because of that same problem.
Which was just stopping at the line before they either tried to plod, slash, or sprint through the hole.
How they ran beyond that, totally different but at the line of scrimmage the reason a RB is positioned 5yards behind is so he can be running through the hole not stopping and surveying where he wants to go.That was all I am saying
Old 03-17-2005   #282
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotcha. I'm not the biggest Dom supporter in the world so I'll let the other guys argue those points.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 03-17-2005   #283
outofhnd
All Pro

If he fixes that one problem I think a lot of people will become the biggest dom supporter in the world when he busts through the line he tends to get to the second level on a regular basis. Personally I dont think a running back should be judged at all on runs of 20+ yards that is too dependant on the offense you run, whether the D is chasing you, what quarter is it in if its the 4th quarter of a blowout you chances of a 20+ yard run is much higher no matter if you are on the winning or losing end. Too many variables. give me a back that can put us in 2nd and less than 6 thats all i ask for.
Old 03-17-2005   #284
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, poor choice of words by me. Its not that I don't support the guy, I'm just not convinced he can be a dominant feature back long term like some do here.

Old 03-17-2005   #285
outofhnd
All Pro

As long as we don't bring back Stacey Mack we'll be fine.
Old 03-17-2005   #286
DChamp
Rookie

Dude was the pepsi Rookie of the year his first year in the leauge and in his second season rushed for over 1,000 yards again behind a bad O line. And is in the top 3 when it comes to RBs receiving yards. I'd totally blame your bad O line for any RB problems of course its the O line look how many times they get Carr sacked, you think their run blocking is any better?

Hey if you Texans don't appreciate DD trade him to the Saints I'd love to have him back in Louisiana since you guys think he's just average.
Old 03-17-2005   #287
Vinny
shiny happy fan

The teams run blocking is actually not bad.

Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2005   #288
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
I am just noticing a pattern in his running that is not good I thought i would mention some other big name backs that have been NFL busts because of that same problem.
Which was just stopping at the line before they either tried to plod, slash, or sprint through the hole.
There is an assumption in the statement above--that there was a hole to run through. Early in the season, call it the 1st half of the season, last year it seemed clear the OL didn't have the zone blocking down at all. It looked like the entire OL took a really extreme angle to the line of scrimmage and ended up in a big scrum pile--i.e. no hole. In theory the back should able to cut back against the play where the last defender has been sealed off (where all the attacks on Denver's system come for injuring guys) but the back side wasn't being sealed either. In the 2nd half of the season it seemed like the OL was taking a less extreme angle and holes existed more frequently and the back end of the play was getting sealed off better giving the RB the option to cut back on the play with the result that the running game started operating much more efficiently.

Truth is probably a combination of OL learning the system, DD not finishing runs as strongly because of worrying about fumbling, DD having less burst because of niggling injuries, etc. contributed to the poor performance in the 1st half of the season--but on the brite side, the running game finished the season much stronger. Now if they can just put a good season together...
Old 03-17-2005   #289
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChamp
look how many times they get Carr sacked, you think their run blocking is any better?
Actually, each of the individual members of the O-Line is better at run blocking than pass blocking, but I see your point...
Old 03-17-2005   #290
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you think their run blocking is any better?
Actually yes kind of. IMO the pass blocking was decent and the run blocking was bad for the 1st half of the season and then for the 2nd half the pass blocking was bad and the run blocking was pretty good. Quite a bit of the improvement in DD's stats in the latter part of the season has to go to the OL stepping up the blocking.
Old 03-17-2005   #291
DChamp
Rookie

I'm just saying DD put up some pretty respectable numbers for just being in the league for 2 seasons. I think he has tremendous upside and is too early in his career to say that he's just an average change of pace back. I just look at DD's numbers from last year and compare them to Deuces who had the same problem with injuries and a bad O line and they are about the same. In fact DDs yardage from last year would place him in 4th place if he where in the NFC and 8th in the AFC as of where it stands now with the same 3.9 rushing average as LT who had 37 more carries than DD. Maybe I'm just not seeing what the DD bashers are seeing cause his numbers look good to me, and he's a young back. Give him some time. He's got too much upside to not want to see what can do next season. He just needs to shut up about rushing for over 2,000 yards that aint gonna happen.

But I totally agree with the Texans drafting another running back. It never hurts to have a soild one two punch. Just don't draft Branndon Jacobs(I read his name mentioned here somewhere), I know he's gifted but he's a head case. He's from Louisiana was supposed to go to LSU but had problems went to JC then to Auburn where was running behind Cadillac and Ronnie Brown thought he was better than them so he transfred to Southern Illinoise for playing time, he's does have skills but that guys a bad attitude waiting to happen. I'd try and draft Arrington, Fasion,Moats,etc in the later rounds.
Old 03-17-2005   #292
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
then to Auburn where was running behind Cadillac and Ronnie Brown thought he was better than them so he transfred to Southern Illinoise for playing time
Haven't seen anyone say he thought he was better than them, it was just a practical decision that with the two of them there he was not going to get any significant playing time and so when draft time roled around he would be unknown. Seems like a shrewd move to me.
Old 03-19-2005   #293
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I think the texans should try to sign him to an extention, he's only making like $500,000 a year and has rushed for a 1000 yards in each of the past two years and has scored 22 touchdowns.

I agree sign him to an extension BEFORE season cause if he goes back to 100+ yard games we will be looking at a large payment for his services
Old 03-20-2005   #294
Jwwillis
All Pro

The age of the little water bug RB will be short lived. Everybody wants to find another Barry Sanders but they will only come along every 100yrs. Durability is a key issue. Im not a stats guy but I doubt there are any backs starting under 5'-11" that didnt miss a few games last season. I always think of Earl Campbell who was 5'-10" and dished out the punishment and missed very few games. Dom is getting hammered out there, he will be lucky to finish out his contract in one piece. There is a reason the Texans want to keep Wells around, other than the other Dom just likes big backs, and its goal line O. Wells performed much better last season and give the Texans much needed bulk a HB. Actually, If the Texans could get something good for DD id be happy with a trade. It used to be a halfbacks average career only lasts 5-6 yrs anyway (not sure now). Id like to get a fast back that can run over some people.
Old 03-20-2005   #295
cptnbreakdance
Veteran

Are you forgetting LT?

Height: 5-10
Weight: 221
Old 03-20-2005   #296
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnbreakdance
Are you forgetting LT?

Height: 5-10
Weight: 221
He missed games...one against us as i recall.
Old 03-20-2005   #297
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Ummmm.... LDT did play against Houston..... the whole game too..........
Old 03-20-2005   #298
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
Ummmm.... LDT did play against Houston..... the whole game too..........
Thats right, it was his 1st game back from injury. thanks for jogging my memory.
Old 03-20-2005   #299
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I think some people need to remember a few things - Davis was drafted in the 4th round as a near unknown RB to many people, as he wasn't even the starter at LSU. Therefore, even if all we ever get out of him is a solid starter/RB by committee type RB, then he isn't "bust material" and people shouldnt be expecting a pro bowl filled career just because he started spouting off about 2000 yard seasons.

Old 03-20-2005   #300
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
Thats right, it was his 1st game back from injury. thanks for jogging my memory.
Try 1st game of the season.

As for under 5'11"--any criteria for RB's will show a high number missing at least one game a season--RB's get hurt, period. Height has to be one of the worst way to quantify durability. Is a 6' 200 lb player more solid/durable or a 5' 9" 220 lb player? Of the 1000 yd rushers last year only 8 of 18 played in all 16 games. Of those 8, only two were over 5' 11" and both of those were the towering height of 6". Height does not equal durability.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read