Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005   #261
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
...I wish the trolls would leave !
Then stop feeding them.
Old 03-15-2005   #262
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
to clear one thing up...we all watched the games...

davis had 302 attempts this year. to get 1500 yds he would have to average 4.9668874172185430463576158940397yds a carry. so a "terrible" running back average's 3.6 yds a carry and is 11th in the league in rushing (with the highest recieving yards of the top 11) and 13 touchdowns? yes the bench mark is 4.0 yds/att but davis only played in 15 games this year. if this was a down year, i can imagine how "terrible" he will be when the line has another year under their belts and/or they are upgraded...

now it's your turn to give some semblence of proof to back up your assertion...good luck

i.e. give stats to show how terrible davis is...
Ok I compared Davis to 3 other runningbacks in how many times they have broken a 20 or more yd. Run and the # of Carrys I think people will find this intersting!

CAREER STATS!

Player Carrys Runs over 20

Domanick Davis 540 10

LaMont Jordan 262 9

Troy Hambrick 536 10

Kevin Jones 241 11

So expect for Hambrick hes (who was people thought was terrible in Big D) and hes only 1 behind him so is this an good enough stat for yall? Anyone that blames in on the O-Line is silly LT Barry yall those great backs broke runs with bad lines if he cant beat Lamont Jordan (who was a backup yall his career) and a Rookie RB then he doesnt need to be a starting for us! According to this hes alittle better than Hambrick!

btw anyone that called me troll im not a troll so just lay off!
Old 03-15-2005   #263
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

haha so we see how good a rb is by how many 20+ yard runs he has ??? man u try to find any reason to bring D.D, but ya cant !!!!
Old 03-15-2005   #264
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Anyone that blames in on the O-Line is silly
Care to explain Clinton Portis last year in Washington vs. with the Broncos?

How about this for your little 20+ yard comparison--other RB's with 5 runs over 20+ yds last year:

Clinton Portis
Deuce McAllister
Jamal Lewis
Chris Brown
Warrick Dunn

Guys with just one more:

Edgerrin James
LaDainian Tomlinson
Ahman Green

Yup you sure proved DD sucks hanging out with those guys.
Old 03-15-2005   #265
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Thats DD CAREER! not season for runs over 20 yds. your back has to be able to break some off! He had 5 this year.

BTW its important for a back to be able to break big yds. and im sorry if your too much in love with DD to see hes terrible! Id love for him to be good but hes not plain and simple!
Old 03-15-2005   #266
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Then stop feeding them.
You need to slap my typing hands--did it again.
Old 03-15-2005   #267
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Dude thats sorry im not a troll! I am just trying to get everyone to see we need a new RB if we want to get anywhere! If he turns out great then i will publicy come on here and apolgizes but until he shows me something im on his case!
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2005   #268
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Then try discussing things rationally--for example how about answering that Clinton Portis question?
Old 03-16-2005   #269
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
i will publicy come on here and apolgizes but until he shows me something im on his case!
well you can go ahead and start your rough draft...i suspect you will be able to formally apologize later this year (by mid november) but if you need a whole season i'll still be here in '06...

so is 20yd+ runs the only thing DD hasn't shown you? that sounds like a pretty short list...
Old 03-16-2005   #270
outofhnd
All Pro

I agree that up to this point Domanick has not been the NFl Elite as far as rushing. However, this will be his make or break year. Last year he looked lots in the zone blocking scheme. He would practically stop and try to pick his way through a hole it was sad to watch, and I thought for sure he could not adjust but he did in the final games he ran the ball like you should run the ball in a zone blocking scheme just run through a hole and go from there. Now this year he will have 0 excuses that in my opinion will say give him another chance to be the guy. If he gets Injured then after 3 years in the league he will have been injured 3 years. If he shows me know real game breaking runs he doesnt have to go 20+ yards to impress me, just ramble for a first down or get us to a manageable 2nd or 3rd and short. Break into the 2nd level of the defense on a regular basis and I will be happy to see you sign a fat contract. But dont gain a thousand yards by performing well in the first few games and the last 6 games and expect to be a featured back. He needs to be productive in October and early November in addition to September and December

P.S. Fred Lane didn't get the chance to have a great career the summer after his 3rd season his ex wife shot him in the face.

Also Emmitt Smith never really had breakaway speed in fact living in dallas since 91 Emmitts success was the fact he got into the 2nd level of defenses and consistently churned out 1st downs or got the Cowboys into manageble down situations.
Old 03-16-2005   #271
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
I agree that up to this point Domanick has not been the NFl Elite as far as rushing. However, this will be his make or break year. Last year he looked lots in the zone blocking scheme. He would practically stop and try to pick his way through a hole it was sad to watch, and I thought for sure he could not adjust but he did in the final games he ran the ball like you should run the ball in a zone blocking scheme just run through a hole and go from there. Now this year he will have 0 excuses that in my opinion will say give him another chance to be the guy. If he gets Injured then after 3 years in the league he will have been injured 3 years. If he shows me know real game breaking runs he doesnt have to go 20+ yards to impress me, just ramble for a first down or get us to a manageable 2nd or 3rd and short. Break into the 2nd level of the defense on a regular basis and I will be happy to see you sign a fat contract. But dont gain a thousand yards by performing well in the first few games and the last 6 games and expect to be a featured back. He needs to be productive in October and early November in addition to September and December

P.S. Fred Lane didn't get the chance to have a great career the summer after his 3rd season his ex wife shot him in the face.

Also Emmitt Smith never really had breakaway speed in fact living in dallas since 91 Emmitts success was the fact he got into the 2nd level of defenses and consistently churned out 1st downs or got the Cowboys into manageble down situations.

That is true! but I think Emmitt was alot quicker than Davis and maybe somewhat faster, I think Emmitt a tad overrated because of that awesome O-line he had but he was a good back but I dont see Davis having the kind of career. I agree this year makes or breaks him and my money on he breaks.
Old 03-16-2005   #272
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
That is true! but I think Emmitt was alot quicker than Davis and maybe somewhat faster,
[Disclaimer--no this is not to show DD is as good as Emmitt--but some have observed the similarities between Carr's stats and Aikman's and just noticed this similarity in stats]

Funny y'all bringing up Emmitt and DD though--look how the stats compare for their 1st two years in the league:

Emmitt--606 attempts, 2500 yds (yearly ypc of 3.9 & 4.3), 23 TD's and 11 runs of 20+
DD--540 attempts, 2219 yds (yearly ypc of 4.3 & 3.9--if DD had made 606 attempts with his average ypc the total yds go to 2489) 21 TD's and 10 runs of 20+

Quote:
I think Emmitt a tad overrated because of that awesome O-line he had
OK so it is "silly" to consider the OL when judging DD but not when you judge Emmitt?--yeah that is consistant.
Old 03-16-2005   #273
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
but I think Emmitt was alot quicker than Davis and maybe somewhat faster
emmit most likely had much better 'vision' so his movements where more effecient when it came to getting downfield, but i doubt he was worlds quicker or faster than davis.

Quote:
I think Emmitt a tad overrated because of that awesome O-line he had but he was a good back
just because emmit isn't your favorite back doesn't mean in any way shape or form he is overrated. *cough*league all-time leading rusher*cough* i'm not even the biggest emmit fan but i would say he definately deserves more respect than 'overrated'. also, you use the same hipocrocy 'cak brought up. fair to consider the o-line with emmit, not fair to consider o-line with davis?

Quote:
I agree this year makes or breaks him and my money on he breaks.
sounds like we're getting through! well at least you don't want to burn davis at the stake like you did when you came into this thread
is it fair to consider the o-line's play this season when looking to see if davis' is successful enough for all of us baby GM's?
Old 03-16-2005   #274
THEFUTURE
All Pro

great back to this thread, haha. but yeah, whats with the 20 yard comparisons, Curtis Martin made his career out of perfecting the 5-6-7 yard run. im not comparing DD to Martin, but not all great running backs need to be able to bust off a tremendous amount of 20 yard runs
Old 03-16-2005   #275
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Davis himself isn't the issue in our offense. The problem is the way he's used, which the coaches seem to think he is an every down back with break away speed to score a TD on any given play. If we had another RB it would keep both of them in better condition throughout the game, and really help out our offense when we want to pound away clock.

I think the biggest issue I have with Davis as a player, is that if we're going to have an undersized RB that doesn't run well when injured, it would be nice if he atleast had great speed (Like Westbrook, as people have mentioned many times) but Davis runs hard on every play and I think as the offensive line and the O as a whole improves, Davis will run better and with less injuries as the D can't focus on stopping the run as much.

Old 03-16-2005   #276
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
if we're going to have an undersized RB
Not singling you out, but I guess I have taken on the personal quest of stomping out the silliness about RB size.

DD is 5' 9" 221 lbs--that is not undersized.

RB's with more yards than DD last year:
More than 5 lbs less than DD: Martin, James, Barber, Portis, Droughns
+ or - 5 lbs: Alexander, Dillon, Johnson, Tomlinson
More than 5 lbs more: Taylor

That would be ONE guy with more yards than DD with any significant size advantage and ironically it is a guy that has for his entire career has had to turn the ball over to someone else to get it in the end-zone.

[Disclaimer--this post has nothing to do with DD's merits as a RB vs. the other RB's listed]
Old 03-17-2005   #277
outofhnd
All Pro

It is not his size that bothers me it was the way he ran at times. He reminded me of Lorenzo White during the oiler days. He would run get to the line and stop and try and pick a whole that was gonna bust him in to the open field. all it did was waste time and the line crumbled around him. Why was Wells successful when he ran in that same O line? because he ran through the hole at full speed he didnt stop or stutter because that will get you tackled at the line. This was DD's biggest error the picking may have been due to his ankle injury fearing a 300 lb DL grabbing his ankle in full stride. But that was the most glaring fault. You cant pick a hole in the NFL just ask Lorenzo White, & Ron Dayne,
Old 03-17-2005   #278
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Lo White ran more like Larry Johnson than Dom Davis. I can't see that comparison.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 03-17-2005   #279
outofhnd
All Pro

Ok im not going to argue about Lorenzo White run style im just talking about the footwork as they came to the line they stopped. You cant do that and be successful in the NFL he didnt pick his hole like that at first and goal but first and ten he was doing that. Look at the KC game that was the game where it just stood out.
Old 03-17-2005   #280
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not arguing. Just making a comment about styles. Lorenzo was a big plodding type back that is more like Jon Wells than a smaller, more compact slashing back like Dom Davis to me. To each his own, but that's fine by me if you see Dom as a Lo White type back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read