Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2005   #221
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
funny how the point of views change..

Wells ... stinks
DD ... very good.

yet Wells didn't have an OL the first year and struggled.. 3 years later when DD goes down.. wells averaged about the same as DD.. yet wells still stinks (in some eyes) and DD is very good.

I am not a Wells "homer" yet I find it funny the excuses that come up with if DD doesn't do well .. it is because the OL didn't block .. yet Wells was judged on his talent alone and has that label now..

i'm not putting wells down at all, i dont blame him for the first year, your right we had no line to block for the guy. But i think as much as cut back ability is needed in the zone blocking than D.D is the guy, cause he can make cuts and change direction unlike wells can do. And wells is more of a down hill power runner !
Old 03-11-2005   #222
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I'll admit DD is a good fantasy back, because he gets a lot of catches, but honestly, I'd rather have a RB with stone hands and a dynamic TE than a RB with decent hands and no TE...
I want a RB that is a threat to go the distance anytime they touch the ball
and if they can't run over people, make them miss
Old 03-11-2005   #223
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I wouldn't say bottom third maybe 10-15
Yeah, I agree bottom third may be a little harsh, but in my eyes, he's in about the 15-20 range...
Old 03-11-2005   #224
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

You are kidding yourself if you think DD is the 8th best back in the NFL.

Jamal Lewis
LaDanian Tomlinson
Priest Holmes
Duece McAllister
Ahman Green
Curtis Martin
Stephen Alexander
Corey Dillon
Edgerin James
Fred Taylor
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Rudi Johnson
Brian Westbrook
Chris Brown
Kevin Jones
Willis McGahee

IMO, all of these backs are better than DD right now.
Old 03-11-2005   #225
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

1 LaDainian Tomlinson
2 Priest Holmes
3 Ahman Green
4 Deuce McAllister
5 Clinton Portis
6 Edgerrin James
7 Corey Dillion
8 Domanick Davis
9 Brian Westbrook
10 Fred Taylor

its a magazine i have so its not a link but there is the top 10 RB
Old 03-11-2005   #226
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
You are kidding yourself if you think DD is the 8th best back in the NFL.

Jamal Lewis
LaDanian Tomlinson
Priest Holmes
Duece McAllister
Ahman Green
Curtis Martin
Stephen Alexander
Corey Dillon
Edgerin James
Fred Taylor
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Rudi Johnson
Chris Brown
Kevin Jones
Willis McGahee

IMO, all of these backs are better than DD right now.

its not what i said its what football pro magazine said ! Why dont ya read what i wrote.
Old 03-11-2005   #227
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
1 LaDainian Tomlinson
2 Priest Holmes
3 Ahman Green
4 Deuce McAllister
5 Clinton Portis
6 Edgerrin James
7 Corey Dillion
8 Domanick Davis
9 Brian Westbrook
10 Fred Taylor

its a magazine i have so its not a link but there is the top 10 RB

Do you realize Jamal Lewis, who ran for 2,066 yards a season ago, isn't even in the top 10. That alone should tell you something is wrong with that list.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2005   #228
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah well he didnt so so well in 2004, i dunno i didnt make the list up. If ya dont like it why dont ya find their number call them and complain about it to them !!!
Old 03-11-2005   #229
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Do you realize Jamal Lewis, who ran for 2,066 yards a season ago, isn't even in the top 10. That alone should tell you something is wrong with that list.
Neither is Alexander and Rudi Johnson, who are both franchised players.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 03-11-2005   #230
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not hating on DD.. I feel DD's talent is maximized by the Texans.. Do I think he is bad? NO.. I think he makes a really good 3rd down back .. and the only reason on that, is that he isn't a threat to take it to the distance.. sure stats can come out on his longest run.. The titans game where DD ran it 44 yards (or so).. I mean that was perfect call at the right time.. Could he pull a Marcus Allen in the Super Bowl against the Redskins I'd hope so but .. no.. I haven't seen where DD can make things happen.. He lacks the burst.. That is all.. I wish he could do this.. DD is a solid back..

Not saying this is a bad thing, but in a Texan's fans eyes I see DD=Billy MIller= JJ moses.. all guys that bust their tail to do their job and are solid, (they are the best at their positions that we have seen) yet on the NFL scale.. average to above average.
Old 03-11-2005   #231
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

oh and they had lewis ranked at no# 12 just so ya know !
Old 03-11-2005   #232
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Curtis Martin isn't on that list either and he was the rushing champion.
Old 03-11-2005   #233
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Jamal Lewis is a top 5 RB in the NFL. No way DD should be ranked higher than him.
Old 03-11-2005   #234
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

alexander was # 11 and rudi was ranked # 14, dont ask me lol, i to think its a sorry list but liked it JUST BECAUSE they had D.D ranked so high !
Old 03-11-2005   #235
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

The list looks more like someone's ranking of Madden backs based on overall rating. No way Portis should be ranked above Edge or Dillon. :/
Old 03-12-2005   #236
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

i just don't see how some people have already seen the 'ceiling' on davis talent and other's (myself included) are 'oblivious' to it. since stats are all the rage, what is the benchmark number of +20yd runs to solidify a back that is 'a threat to take it the distance from anywhere, anytime'? more relative to our beloved texans, how far does DD fall short of 'par' for a franchise RB?

i wouldn't argue DD in the top ten in the league right now, but based on his production thus far, i just think he has WAY too much upside to have the door closed on him so soon. don't worry, i'm also not saying he shouldn't be challenged for the job, as i like the thought of drafting a young power back to take some of the load off davis. i just don't see how everyone 'knows' this is as far as davis' talent can take him and seems to discredit our 4th round pick for everything he's accomplished thus far...*cough*rookie of the year*cough*back to back 1000yd+ seasons while not playing every game either season*cough*avg 8yds a catch last season*cough*...man, can anyone lend me some hall's? ...

Quote:
Curtis Martin isn't on that list either and he was the rushing champion.
don't know the stats (enter infantrycak...) but i remember hearing something along the lines of martin not having one run over 40yds this year and a long of a little over twenty. the rushing champ would rip off 10-12yd runs but never seemed to be a threat to take it the distance all season...yet steel blue (and others who share his POV) would almost assuredly agree martin>>>davis. although i agree whole heartdly (martin=very much underated all his career), i don't agree a franchise back MUST rip off 70yd TD's and every other run is a 20yd+ gain. consistencey barely edges out production (in individual years) followed by a close third in character = my franchise back.

and just to note, every 'normal situation' run play in a play book is designed to 'take it the distance'. every lineman has 2nd and 3rd level responsibilities. a good example this year was DD huge slash in jags round II that woke the texans back up. i noticed seth wand and chester pitts doing an excellent job in getting the their 2nd and 3rd resposibilites and DD gives us a huge chunk of yards. but when the linemen don't even fulfill their 1st responsibilties...DOMANICK DAVIS SUX0RZ teh B1GG 0N3!!!!! lol, i could seriously type two more paragraphs but i guess i should wait for a rebuttle (if any one reads my 'impersonation a wind bag' post )
Old 03-12-2005   #237
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason Davis is our starter is because there is nobody better than him on the team at this time...
I agree with your point, but this statement is true of every starter in the NFL...
Old 03-12-2005   #238
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
don't know the stats (enter infantrycak...) but i remember hearing something along the lines of martin not having one run over 40yds this year and a long of a little over twenty.
Correct--0 runs over 40 yards and runs of 20+ of 24, 25, 21, 22, 20 and 20.

Two things I think I know:

#1--every team needs two solid RB's because injuries will happen to every RB so whether or not you believe DD is a sure starter the Texans should draft a RB. I still have hope that Hollings will contribute one day as the speed back some people are so desparate for but don't want to gamble on that happening so I would take another RB in this draft.

#2--DD's niggling injuries and the development of the OL are the only reason this discussion is even taking place. If DD can pull a Fred Taylor and play a complete season with performances like the second half of last season there won't be a peep from anyone about him.

Last 8 games of 2004: 828 yards rushing, 4.6 ypc, 5 runs of 20+, 8 TD's rushing, 319 yards receiving, 1 receiving TD and 0 fumbles.

Projected over 16 games: 1656 yards rushing, 4.6 ypc, 10 runs of 20+, 16 rushing TD's, 638 yards receiving, and 2 receiving TD's.

Anybody going to be arguing about DD being a third down back, heck whether he is a top third back if that happened? No, so the issue isn't really his ability when healthy and getting decent blocking it is whether he can stay healthy and the OL coming together.
Old 03-12-2005   #239
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Quote:
DD is a great 3rd down back and a serviceable starter. That is just the truth.
I swear you never say anything positive about any subject on this board. Also, do you have a speach impediment like the kid in the wheel chair off Malcolm in the Middle cuz i have never seen...one of your replies...longer than...a sentance...or two? :

Last edited by Beastlyman2003; 03-12-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2005   #240
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, you guys have had your fun. That's the last insult that's going to be traded in this thread. Look at infantrycak's posts in this thread. That's how you make a case for your position. If you aren't able to articulate a position in that manner, you're not likely to convince someone to change their mind on a subject.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read