Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2005   #201
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

... i love it when i read a whole thread, formulate a position/argument, and right before i look for the 'post reply' button i read one of 'caks posts that expresses my own view. saves my hands from carpul tunnel, usually sounds more eloquent, more effective stats and he pulls much more respect on these boards than myself ...great minds DO think alike ...

p.s. DOMANICK DAVIS RULES!!!!1!ONE1!1ONE!!1!
Old 03-11-2005   #202
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

haha yeah he does put things into great perspective, and the stats he throws out there should be good enough to convince any D.D doubters. but theres always the hard headed select few who wont budge (steel Blue)
Old 03-11-2005   #203
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Message boards are no fun when everyone agrees with everything.
Old 03-11-2005   #204
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

i can agree with that. if we all agreed wouldnt be much of a disscusion !
Old 03-11-2005   #205
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Infantrycak is always tough to argue with because he always comes with facts and well thought out postions. I happen to think Dom is a good 3rd down back and really isn't suited to be an every down starter myself. No denying he can put up some good numbers when not nicked up...but that is a part of the formula in the NFL that you cannot discount. It's a tough game. I'd like to see us cut his touches way back so we may be able to get him to play at a high level for 16 games + playoffs instead of 5-6 games a year at full strength.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 03-11-2005   #206
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah i really dont think he has durability issues. I mean he had 2 good first games (despite the fumbles). than was knicked up for a few games, came back into the mix, and was kinda inconsistent (o-line) and at the end of the season the final 3 games the o-line seemed to play better and he seemed to be more patient while running the ball, which is what ya need when ya have zone blocking !
Old 03-11-2005   #207
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with vinny.. when healthy dom is solid (not great) but when nicked up , it shows really bad
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2005   #208
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I agree with vinny.. when healthy dom is solid (not great) but when nicked up , it shows really bad

of course it shows bad, you ever get a sprang ankle and try to run on it ??? Not the easiest thing in the world to do.
Old 03-11-2005   #209
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

thing that troubles me is when Davis rushes for 100 yards and we lose.. I don't have the Texans win/loss record when he does that,but I know we lose.. Now it isn't Davis' fault on that, he did is job,but it seems that the defense gives those yards up in order to keep the clamps on AJ and not allow the deep pass.
Old 03-11-2005   #210
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Just to fill in a little more--Faulks' yards came on 603 attempts for an average of 3.9 ypc. Davis has 540 attempts and an average of 4.1 ypc. Faulks' longest runs of his 1st two years were 52 and 40. Davis' longest runs were 51 and 44. Something else to note--Faulk never averaged over 4.1 ypc in a season until he left Indy (Davis averaged 4.3 ypc last year). His running in Indy did not impress them so much that they did not let him go. Of course then in St. Louis he has three years of at least 5.3 ypc. Was Marshall Faulk just a 3rd down back in the wrong role, not a franchise back, etc. in Indy? Did his talent suddenly explode in his 6th year in the league? Of course not--he went from a team where his full potential was not displayed to one where it was.

It is much harder to do, but the only fair way to judge a back is how is he doing with what he is given. Just a blind look at the stats is not an accurate reflection of ability (injuries are a whole nuther issue). There should be zero argument that DD has had below average blocking for his 1st two years. To see how that affects even great backs compare Clinton Portis in Denver and in Washington or compare LaDainian Tomlinson 2003 to 2004 where he dropped 1.4 ypc from his average as the OL entirely changed and was better at pass protection than run blocking. The blocking doesn't just affect ypc, it affects big plays as well. Clinton Portis 24 runs over 20 yards in two years with the Broncos vs. 5 last season with the Skins. LaDainian Tomlinson 2002--12 runs over 20 with a long of 76, 2003--12 runs over 20 with a long of 73, 2004--6 runs over 20 with a long of 42. All the pieces on the O have to work together and we will never know or see the potential of DD, Carr or AJ until the OL can do at least an average NFL job of both run blocking and pass blocking.
Excellent post, right on the money
Old 03-11-2005   #211
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

na i think the stat is when he rushes for 2 or more tds we lose.
Old 03-11-2005   #212
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason Davis is our starter is because there is nobody better than him on the team at this time...

If we have any opportunity to upgrade the position, then we should, because, the way I see it, DD is in the bottom 1/3 of the league's starting RBs...
Old 03-11-2005   #213
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason Davis is our starter is because there is nobody better than him on the team at this time...

If we have any opportunity to upgrade the position, then we should, because, the way I see it, DD is in the bottom 1/3 of the league's starting RBs...
I wouldn't say bottom third maybe 10-15
Old 03-11-2005   #214
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

ACTUALLY i have football pro magazine that puts Davis at no# 8 among all nfl running backs !
Old 03-11-2005   #215
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

3-5 record when DD rushes for 100+
Old 03-11-2005   #216
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
ACTUALLY i have football pro magazine that puts Davis at no# 8 among all nfl running backs !
(Honest question) You sure it isnt talking for fantasy football???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 03-11-2005   #217
Wolf
100% Texan

funny how the point of views change..

Wells ... stinks
DD ... very good.

yet Wells didn't have an OL the first year and struggled.. 3 years later when DD goes down.. wells averaged about the same as DD.. yet wells still stinks (in some eyes) and DD is very good.

I am not a Wells "homer" yet I find it funny the excuses that come up with if DD doesn't do well .. it is because the OL didn't block .. yet Wells was judged on his talent alone and has that label now..
Old 03-11-2005   #218
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

haha no fiddy its not talking fantasy football, even though they do have a Fantasy football section, and he is really high on their scales as well !!! The are talking top RB overall in the nfl and he's no. 8,,,last season they had him at no# 14, he's moved up !
Old 03-11-2005   #219
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
haha no fiddy its not talking fantasy football, even though they do have a Fantasy football section, and he is really high on their scales as well !!! The are talking top RB overall in the nfl and he's no. 8,,,last season they had him at no# 14, he's moved up !
Can you please post that list.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 03-11-2005   #220
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit DD is a good fantasy back, because he gets a lot of catches, but honestly, I'd rather have a RB with stone hands and a dynamic TE than a RB with decent hands and no TE...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read