Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What is the HC future of the Houston Texans
Keep faith in Kubes, things are better than under Capers, good times will surely come with him. 3 9.38%
One more 'final season' for Kubiak. 4 12.50%
See how the final games pan out, and reserve decision until then. 14 43.75%
Split ways with Kubiak, and try and make a big HC hire to push the team into the playoffs. 9 28.13%
Fire Kubiak right now, and try to get in a new HC to try win the final 5 games. 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2009   #1
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Long Term Future of the Houston Texans

Ok. We've had plenty of negativity after the Colts and Titans games. Rightly so, the past two games especially have just been unbearable. I was pretty much on football exile for 3 days after the MNF game, baring checking NFLN, just to make sure that I didn't have a terrible nightmare. I'm don't have the knowledge to start suggesting how we can change our offensive scheming to cover for the loss of a pro-bowl TE, or how to alter our defensive line play to get more pressure on the QB. However, I feel like I'm starting to see a pattern.

Up front, and putting it out there, I'm a Kubiak, Smith and McNair guy. I think the way they do business is great. They get inexpensive players in, with good off the field track records, who are often young and have a lot of upside. We've been the model of how to conduct a franchise who has respect for other teams, who has a good team spirit, but who, despite a whole host of talents, cannot get it done in the wins column, despite being very close for a couple of years now.

Now, outside of my Texans supporting, a few of you will know that I'm also a big soccer fan, and have been the complete transformation of my English soccer team, Chelsea over the past few years. Thanks to a large cash injection (which is more useful in soccer, due to no salary caps, and money based transfers), we had the opportunity to make the next big step. We started off by keeping our old manager, a lovely, lovely guy, who has respect for everyone, and earned the respect of both fans of the club, and other teams. However, the season ended short of the mark, not winning any championships, despite the strong squad of players, and big money signings.

This is where I feel the Houston Texans are now. We have the nice guy in place at the moment. We do little to attract the scorn of other teams. However, we have not got it done on the field...yet. We have two options. We take the approach that Chelsea (the afore mentioned soccer team) took, firing the coach who was respected and liked by all, and replaced him with a more successful, dare I say arrogant coach (perhaps a coach along the lines of Cowher...). The next half a decade saw a swagger come into the team, huge media attention, winning two championships, and a host of other honours, whilst inducing the hatred of almost every other team, for both reasons of jealousy, and for players not acting with 100% integrity during and after the game.

Or do we continue to have faith with a coach who seems to be stuck with where he can take the team, in the hope that things will progress. He has 'his' players in, most of whom are young, and likely to improve, his system is learnt and known. This line of action would be an unknown, and even if ultimately successful, there is no way to predict when it would come good, opposed to the predicted 'quick fix' of a coaching change, and the big investment that such a process would involve.

If we are picking long term, we have to look at it this way. Our first choice pretty much seems to be Cowher, but the issue is, will be still be around, and likely to coach us in a years time, if we give Kubes a shot at fixing things for another 'last chance for the playoffs' style year? Therefore I've split the poll into different sections, rather than 'fire or keep', to see how people see the next few years panning out.

So, over to you Houston, is it time for the dawning of a new era, or time to stay the course.
Old 11-30-2009   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Long Term Future of the Houston Texans

I really hate to say I am now for removing Kubiac. I have seen too much that indicates to me the main problem is the coaching and I'm including Little S. Our OC may be the next great thing but I just don't see consistency on offense. Gary also made the decision to not draft a power back hoping that Brown would recover from injury and have a very solid year. Two huge mistakes. He also stuck with th ZBS which did not do well in Red Zone last year or beginning of this year. It took Caldwell too long to work into the line. He began to rotate with White at guard only when Brisiel went down.

However, just identifying a problem is not the same as having an answer to that problem. I am not sure any of the name guys being thrown around would come here.
Old 11-30-2009   #3
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I really hate to say I am now for removing Kubiac. I have seen too much that indicates to me the main problem is the coaching and I'm including Little S. Our OC may be the next great thing but I just don't see consistency on offense. Gary also made the decision to not draft a power back hoping that Brown would recover from injury and have a very solid year. Two huge mistakes. He also stuck with th ZBS which did not do well in Red Zone last year or beginning of this year. It took Caldwell too long to work into the line. He began to rotate with White at guard only when Brisiel went down.

However, just identifying a problem is not the same as having an answer to that problem. I am not sure any of the name guys being thrown around would come here.
I'm very close to wanting Kubiak gone for sure, but the final few games will see if I can still have faith in him.

Although I don't think you are on the mark with your power back grievance though. I think that the O-line has not helped with the running situation, and a 'power back' won't have made the difference, so therefore I don't think its a mistake.
Old 11-30-2009   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
I'm very close to wanting Kubiak gone for sure, but the final few games will see if I can still have faith in him.

Although I don't think you are on the mark with your power back grievance though. I think that the O-line has not helped with the running situation, and a 'power back' won't have made the difference, so therefore I don't think its a mistake.
You are correct with assessment of Oline but a good back can slip thru the crack this oline is creating and then power for yards. Review Brown's yardage against Colts. He is just not good enough anymore to be consistent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read