Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2009   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Francesa on New York's 660 WFAN, Texans are a good coach away from 11 or 12 wins

I was just streaming his show and have been listening to this guy for years. WFAN is the local New York City sports station and they mainly talk NY area sports. However after he was breaking down the Jets & Giants he started talking about other teams.

He said if he were a head coach considering a job the first place he would want to go is Houston. He said the Texans are loaded with young talent and are a good coach away from a 11 or 12 win season. He said place Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan in Houston and they are an instant contender.

He also said he thinks Kubiak isn't going to take the team any further and that he needs to go back to being what he is good at, being a solid offensive coordinator because he doesn't have the other intagibles needed to be a good head coach. He also placed the blame on not closing out games on Kubiak.

It's interesting to hear what other respected people are saying outside of the Houston market.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #2
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adam Carolla on New York's 660 WFAN

Well that just makes Mr. Francesa pretty cool to me. Seems he knows what he is talking about, but not too sure why you would listen to New York's sports station but whatever...anythings better than whats going on here in Houston right now...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #3
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 19418 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

the only Adam Carolla i know is the one from loveline with dr. drew
Old 11-30-2009   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Well that just makes Mr. Carolla pretty cool to me. Seems he knows what he is talking about, but not too sure why you would listen to New York's sports station but whatever...anythings better than whats going on here in Houston right now...
I used to live up there and it is still my favorite sports station. I am a fan of the NY Rangers and Giants and personally can't stand Jim Rome (which is what is on in Houston right now).

The NYC area gets the best radio talent because it's NYC. Mike Francesa is one the the best sports radio talking heads in the business IMO.
Old 11-30-2009   #5
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I used to live up there and it is still my favorite sports station. I am a fan of the NY Rangers and Giants and personally can't stand Jim Rome (which is what is on in Houston right now).

The NYC area gets the best radio talent because it's NYC. Mike Francesa is one the the best sports radio talking heads in the business IMO.
Oh I understand I just rather listen to John Madden all day instead of Jim Rome that guy's voice gets on my nerves...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
the only Adam Carolla i know is the one from loveline with dr. drew
LOL, sorry I meant Mike Francesa. There was an ad for Adam Carolla that was sitting there on the WFAN logo and I had a brain freeze moment.
Old 11-30-2009   #7
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Default Re: Mike Francesa on New York's 660 WFAN, Texans are a good coach away from 11 or 12

Anway, what stood out to me is him saying Houston should be the most attractive job in the NFL.

Would the best available coach come here because of the talent pool he would have to work with?
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Francesa on New York's 660 WFAN, Texans are a good coach away from 11 or 12

I didn't know anybody in NYC knew there was more than one NFL franchise in Texas ?
But seriously people think the Texans get lousy media coverage, if they get any coverage at all. Well if you happened to watch and listen to yesterdays TV coverage, you know that CBSs Dan Dierdorf was very complimentary and even gracious in his remarks about the Texans, and you could tell he'd done his homework. But as ususal, our guys fall flat on their collective face and
missed the opportunity to take advantage of it.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #9
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of Rome's stuff is pretty funny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdkhEkLr84
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Anway, what stood out to me is him saying Houston should be the most attractive job in the NFL.

Would the best available coach come here because of the talent pool he would have to work with?
of course he would. we also have our full allotment of picks next year with a serviceable offense and defense relatively intact due to our ability to use RFA status on some of our more coveted players like DeMeco because of the uncapped year rules.

We have some talent to work with. We need a FS, C, DT, and some OL depth like every team always does.

The cupboard isn't bare and we aren't in cap hell either. We are one of the few markets with an economy that isn't completely in the tank and we have no state income tax. In my book Texas >> Carolina
Old 11-30-2009   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I didn't know anybody in NYC knew there was more than one NFL franchise in Texas ?
But seriously people think the Texans get lousy media coverage, if they get any coverage at all. Well if you happened to watch and listen to yesterdays TV coverage, you know that CBSs Dan Dierdorf was very complimentary and even gracious in his remarks about the Texans, and you could tell he'd done his homework. But as ususal, our guys fall flat on their collective face and
missed the opportunity to take advantage of it.
Dan Dierdorf is the most nauseating Mr. Sunshine in the biz. He would find great things to say about the Lions franchise. I wouldn't count anything positive he has to say about anyone.
Old 11-30-2009   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
Some of Rome's stuff is pretty funny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdkhEkLr84
This was really funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8
Old 11-30-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dan Dierdorf is the most nauseating Mr. Sunshine in the biz. He would find great things to say about the Lions franchise. I wouldn't count anything positive he has to say about anyone.

Maybe it was "nauseating Sunshine", but it sounded good to me, but then of course I'm an avid fan of the team. But everything Dierdorf said was basically factual, basically true. And we don't get the word about our team out there much beyond the city limits, so I was very grateful for his kind remarks. BTW, there's positives things to say about Detroit to.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #14
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Phenomenal!!

It never gets old.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #15
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Ohh how i loved Mike & Mad Dog
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Damn. I like Dierdorf and it was a breath of fresh air with such a competent broadcast team as we had yesterday. No more Wilcots, or Tasker, or Beasley Reese.

He is a bit sunny, but I like that because its normally spot on and at least giving some credit where credit is due and not just looking at stat sheets. He had some nice things to say about our stadium and that is appreciated because it is nice and even though its not one of the new toys on the block, it is one of the best in the league behind only Seahawks Stadium (my fave) and Jerry's Taj Mahal.

Remember when Todd Christensen used to call so many of our old Oiler games? Man that guys perm alone made me hate him...then he would open his mouth and it just made you hate him that much more. Wilcots, Tasker, and Reese make Christensen look like the best in the biz. Collinsworth sure is horrible too. They need to have a mute button on guys like him.
Old 11-30-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

As much of a Kubiak supporter I've been in the past, I'm willing to make a change at this time. After all our previous failures, this season hurts the most. We had enough talent, we had the schedule and we failed yet again. I still like Kubiak, but it's getting very hard to support him when his team continues to find ways to screw up and lose games.

I mean, what freakin team false starts that many times.....at home?!!

This team needs an enema.....again!
Old 11-30-2009   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Damn. I like Dierdorf and it was a breath of fresh air with such a competent broadcast team as we had yesterday. No more Wilcots, or Tasker, or Beasley Reese.

He is a bit sunny, but I like that because its normally spot on and at least giving some credit where credit is due and not just looking at stat sheets. He had some nice things to say about our stadium and that is appreciated because it is nice and even though its not one of the new toys on the block, it is one of the best in the league behind only Seahawks Stadium (my fave) and Jerry's Taj Mahal.

Remember when Todd Christensen used to call so many of our old Oiler games? Man that guys perm alone made me hate him...then he would open his mouth and it just made you hate him that much more. Wilcots, Tasker, and Reese make Christensen look like the best in the biz. Collinsworth sure is horrible too. They need to have a mute button on guys like him.
I didn't hear what Dierdorf said because I couldn't see the game live. We had an engagement that I couldn't get away from so I had to DVR the game. I was actually on my way home a little after 3PM excited that I was successful in not seeing any NFL scores all day and was home free to watch everything like it was live. About 3:15 as I was almost home I get a text from Vinny saying "Texans fell apart like a cheap suit". I was like damn, why did I look down at my phone?...lol. Anyway, Vinny did me a HUGE favor because I knew what I was getting into before I started it and didn't suffer the let down you guys did. I just fast forwarded to each play and as the Texans were dominating I kept wondering if I misread Vinny's text. However I knew I had not and the shoe was going to drop.

As far as Dierdorf goes I couldn't stand him on MNF. He just buttkissed everyone he talked about to the point it would get disgusting at times. It was definitely at the point where you could not take his compliments seriously.
Old 11-30-2009   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I still think we have a situation where we have a bunch of young guys learning to play football at an NFL level, and we have a buncyh of guys learning to coach at an NFL level.

I knew that 4 years ago, & even though the last two weeks hurt, I'm willing to stick with what we've got.

I know there are no excuses, & I'm not trying to make any, but I think the last two weeks have gone a long way teaching our guys what it's like to play in "Big Games", what it's like to coach in "Big Games".

I don't think we're going to make the Bill Parcells bar of play-offs in 4 years, but I feel good about playing for the division next year. Maybe even hosting a play-off game.

I'd also like to get one more draft out of these guys before we ship them off.
Old 11-30-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I still think we have a situation where we have a bunch of young guys learning to play football at an NFL level, and we have a buncyh of guys learning to coach at an NFL level.

I knew that 4 years ago, & even though the last two weeks hurt, I'm willing to stick with what we've got.

I know there are no excuses, & I'm not trying to make any, but I think the last two weeks have gone a long way teaching our guys what it's like to play in "Big Games", what it's like to coach in "Big Games".

I don't think we're going to make the Bill Parcells bar of play-offs in 4 years, but I feel good about playing for the division next year. Maybe even hosting a play-off game.

I'd also like to get one more draft out of these guys before we ship them off.
IMO, using the age excuse is just a scapegoat for poor coaching. Teams age from oldest to youngest.

1 Redskins 28.02
2 Saints 27.99
3 Cardinals 27.74
3 Patriots 27.74
5 Lions 27.62
6 49ers 27.51
7 Steelers 27.50
8 Vikings 27.48
9 Seahawks 27.41
10 Falcons 27.39
11 Titans 27.29
12 Browns 27.18
13 Jets 27.16
13 Broncos 27.16
15 Bears 27.02
16 Cowboys 26.93
17 Bills 26.93
18 Chargers 26.93
19 Texans 26.89
20 Giants 26.88
21 Ravens 26.83
22 Raiders 26.82
23 Eagles 26.81
24 Rams 26.73
25 Jaguars 26.61
26 Bengals 26.60
27 Dolphins 26.47
28 Bucs 26.46
29 Panthers 26.39
30 Chiefs 26.36
31 Colts 26.34
32 Packers 26.16

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read