Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Keep Kubes Or Not?
Let Kubes Coach in '10? 47 35.88%
Replace him after this year? 84 64.12%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2009   #1
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Keep Kubes Or Not?

I know the debate is raging. I'd like to see how he does in this here poll....

I think continuity is what we need. Kubes' boys play hard for him and haven't quit.

And when I can say.."We need help at OL, DL, the Secondary and at RB"...what did we expect?

I said 10-6 if they're lucky but my guess was 9-7.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #2
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keep Kubes Or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I know the debate is raging. I'd liek to see how he does in this here poll..
Your poll is somewhat incomplete. You should have included the option of Fire Kubiak Now!
Old 11-30-2009   #3
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm waiting to hear what garbage BS they're going to say at today's conference...if Kubiak says the same ole crap...I'm wearing a paperbag at the last remaining home games.

I'm waiting, no I'm PRAYING for a newsflash/sports update that Kubiak is gone.
Old 11-30-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been behind Kubiak way too long. The team is stalling out with what seems to be a ton of talented players. I'll appreciate Kubiak's hard work in turning the franchise around anyday but it's time to move forward. Either with Kubiak or without him. Playoffs or bust.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Not!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #6
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Your poll is somewhat incomplete. You should have included the option of Fire Kubiak Now!
We all know that won't happen.

But McNair will say.."Ok...let Gary go and get....?"

You have to have an option. Cowher ain't coming here. Y'all have him as a savior because he went out on top. Him commenting on an opening that doesn't exist was kinda busch league.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #7
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

It's time for chnage but I would recommend that we keep the offensive coordinator & OLine coach but it is time for kubiak to go bottom line.
Old 11-30-2009   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i want Shanhann or kubes

really kubes only had 3 years to work with here his first year he had carr has QB

give him 4 years with his boy Matty
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

No brainer for me right now.

I will say that things could change if somehow the Texans were to actually put together an actual winning streak like 4 or 5 games.

10-6 finish
(new contract)

9-7 finish
(no contract but you get next year to prove yourself)

8-8 finish
(no contract and you call Cowher/Holmgren/Gruden to see if interested. If not, extend a very short leash next year for Kubiak with possibly Lil'Shanny getting an audition for rest of season if Kubiak fails)

7-9 or worse
(go away Gary. You aren't wanted around here anymore)

Sounds convoluted but its pretty fair and would allow you to possibly give a young HC candidate like Lil'Shanny a good amount of a season to prove his mettle next year if Kubiak is lameduck and fails next year. Then you go into the following offseason looking for another top candidate and hire the best guy available or keep Lil'Shanny if he did a good job after Kubiak was canned.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 11-30-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a believer!! When Kubiak says it's his fault, I believe it!
Old 11-30-2009   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i want Shanhann or kubes

really kubes only had 3 years to work with here his first year he had carr has QB

give him 4 years with his boy Matty
so he would come back as lame duck coach or would you give him an extension first? and what if they finish 7-9?
Old 11-30-2009   #12
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 116519 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Gary the offensive coordinator. I do not like Gary the Head Coach. Sorry Kubes, but I can no longer back him. I will always back my one and only NFL team(no matter who we pick or not pick no matter the record, win or lose), but we need a change.
Old 11-30-2009   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
No brainer for me right now.

I will say that things could change if somehow the Texans were to actually put together an actual winning streak like 4 or 5 games.

10-6 finish
(new contract)

9-7 finish
(no contract but you get next year to prove yourself)

8-8 finish
(no contract and you call Cowher/Holmgren/Gruden to see if interested. If not, extend a very short leash next year for Kubiak with possibly Lil'Shanny getting an audition for rest of season if Kubiak fails)

7-9 or worse
(go away Gary. You aren't wanted around here anymore)

Sounds convoluted but its pretty fair and would allow you to possibly give a young HC candidate like Lil'Shanny a good amount of a season to prove his mettle next year if Kubiak is lameduck and fails next year. Then you go into the following offseason looking for another top candidate and hire the best guy available or keep Lil'Shanny if he did a good job after Kubiak was canned.
I don't know yet, but I pretty much agree with the quoted.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #14
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we fire kubes we have to get shanahan or hire from the inside(the other shanahan?). what people do NOT realize is this team is built for kubes system. if we fire him and hire anybody else we basically have to rebuild. The new HC would want HIS players! that means new QB(maybe), RB, Oline, and Defensive players. that, IMO, would take longer and would lead to even more impatience. So if we do fire him go get shanahan. its basically the same system and all our players fit it.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
its all about how they finish. if they can get to 9-7 I will listen but 8-8 the best Kubiak can hope for is a lame duck season. Just make the call to Bill Cowher and see if he is interested. Gary can't be pissed if we are looking to improve after an 8-8 season and calling someone with the credentials of Cowher.

the thing that sucks the most about yesterday was that if the Texans had won, we would have been looking good record-wise in the playoff race. A lot of teams lost that needed to lose. We just lost too. Treading water. A staple of Kubiak.
Old 11-30-2009   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

You had your 4 years to get into the playoffs and failed. What more is there to say? Time for round 3...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #17
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think I'd still have the 1-year for a 10-6... but other than that, yeah.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #18
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I know the debate is raging. I'd like to see how he does in this here poll....

I think continuity is what we need. Kubes' boys play hard for him and haven't quit.

And when I can say.."We need help at OL, DL, the Secondary and at RB"...what did we expect?

I said 10-6 if they're lucky but my guess was 9-7.
I'm with you here. The reason franchises like Denver and Pittsburgh (and Dallas up until the Jerrah era) have been so successful over the ages is continuity. Even in down years, sometimes you have to stick with what you have. If you have a revolving door at HC and/or GM, it's difficult to have consistency.

This team is a few plays away from a 10-1 record. THAT'S the difference in the season. You can't blame Kubiak alone for Schaub's pick-6's against Arizona and Indy. Or Chris Brown's fumble against Jax. Or all of Slaton's fumbles. The OL needs help (it's no coincidence the running game is suffering BADLY without 3 blocking starters), we still need a safety (Busing and Wilson aren't going to get it done), and we still need a shutdown CB.

I say UNLESS Cowher says, "I WANT TO COACH IN HOUSTON", then there is no other coach available out there that will do a better job with this team than Kubiak. Jimmy Johnson, Holmgren, Shanahan - psshht, please. They'll all want total personnel control, and McNair (wisely) won't allow it. So give Kubiak a short leash and one more year. Maybe this team will make those 10 plays.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I always see the comment that Kubiak's first year somehow doesn't count because he had Carr as his QB and to that I say that he accepted Carr as his QB. He said he could win with David Carr as his QB and to my mind that means he doesn't get a pass. Sure guys, he inherited a team that had been 2-14 the previous year BUT....

They were 7-9 the season prior to that. He got them to 6-10 the season after. Since then we've been steadily 8-8. From what I can tell he took a completely middle of the pack team coming off of a very bad season, willingly signed off on a lousy QB, and then promptly rebuilt this middle of the pack team INTO ANOTHER (admittedly more exciting to watch on offense) MIDDLE OF THE PACK TEAM?

That about cover it?

No passes for Gary on the first year with Carr. He signed up for a year with Carr and then made it more or less impossible for the team to draft local hero and divine being Vince Young first overall in 2006 (thus ensuring two brutal ass beatings a year until Vince retires apparently) Then he uses a pair of 2's that we desperately need to speed along our rebuilding back to mediocrity to get Schaub who we wouldnt' have needed if he'd just taken Vince and ditched Carr.

No passes. His record is what it is.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I'm with you here. The reason franchises like Denver and Pittsburgh (and Dallas up until the Jerrah era) have been so successful over the ages is continuity. Even in down years, sometimes you have to stick with what you have. If you have a revolving door at HC and/or GM, it's difficult to have consistency.

This team is a few plays away from a 10-1 record. THAT'S the difference in the season. You can't blame Kubiak alone for Schaub's pick-6's against Arizona and Indy. Or Chris Brown's fumble against Jax. Or all of Slaton's fumbles. The OL needs help (it's no coincidence the running game is suffering BADLY without 3 blocking starters), we still need a safety (Busing and Wilson aren't going to get it done), and we still need a shutdown CB.

I say UNLESS Cowher says, "I WANT TO COACH IN HOUSTON", then there is no other coach available out there that will do a better job with this team than Kubiak. Jimmy Johnson, Holmgren, Shanahan - psshht, please. They'll all want total personnel control, and McNair (wisely) won't allow it. So give Kubiak a short leash and one more year. Maybe this team will make those 10 plays.
So you want Cowher but only if he openly courts the job? You think he is going to court someone else's job? Seriously?

Back to reality, Cowher may relish the opportunity to put a stamp on a franchise uniquely his own. The Texans have no tradition, no history, just a bunch of losing seasons. Cowher may want the challenge and opportunity to turn this whole thing around and start winning some damn football games for once. I say you give him a call if we go 8-8 or worse. A casual little feeler to see if he is indeed interested. He isn't going to call us. That is just not done by a coach against a coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read