Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Richie Justice says go with an NFL DC when looking for Kubiaks Replacement

I'm not for hiring Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren. I'd hire Tony Dungy in a heartbeat, but he doesn't seem inclined to coach again. I'm for getting the next great thing.
If the Ravens and Falcons can get it right with unknown coaches, the Texans should be able to get it right, too. I think the Falcons got it right, too. If I'm in charge, I'm looking closely at the NFL's top 10 defensive coordinators. I'd go defense because those guys seem to be better at clock management and understanding the larger picture instead of just drawing up more exotic pass routes.Nor do I want some guy from television or a college program. I want a successful defensive coordinator, a guy that has been around winning teams, has directed winning defenses and been in big, important games.
Back in 2005, the Texans are light years from being any good. That's not true now. I'm not sure that'll make this latest loss go down any easier, but it's all I've got.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...ortsJustice%29
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richie Justice says go with an NFL DC when looking for Kubiaks Replacement

Dick lambo LOL
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richie Justice says go with an NFL DC when looking for Kubiaks Replacement

Just off the top of my head, I disagree with hiring a DC for Texans head coach. Our D seems to have gotten it together for most part & adding a CB (replace DR) and a FS and we should be good to go. I want more focus on the O. We seemed to be clicking pretty well despite losing two starting guards and a pro bowl TE. Slaton was not drafted to be the guy but when he was forced into the role, he exploded. Things have caught up with him and Kubes made the error of thinking "well we got yards with him last season, let's sit tight and get a washed up power back back there and we will be ok." Our OC is part of the problem. We need a head coach with strong offensive skills and leadership.
Old 11-30-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I responded to his piece and have said it here in 2 separate HC Threads....if I did hire a DC it would be Mike Zimmer
Old 11-30-2009   #5
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I responded to his piece and have said it here in 2 separate HC Threads....if I did hire a DC it would be Mike Zimmer
Why not Wade Phillips for DC, surely Jerry is going to let him go.
Old 11-30-2009   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dick says it......don't do it.

Who cares what this ****stick says? I mean, seriously? I'd rather suck a fart from a dead chickens ass.
Old 11-30-2009   #7
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just off the top of my head, I disagree with hiring a DC for Texans head coach. Our D seems to have gotten it together for most part & adding a CB (replace DR) and a FS and we should be good to go. I want more focus on the O. We seemed to be clicking pretty well despite losing two starting guards and a pro bowl TE. Slaton was not drafted to be the guy but when he was forced into the role, he exploded. Things have caught up with him and Kubes made the error of thinking "well we got yards with him last season, let's sit tight and get a washed up power back back there and we will be ok." Our OC is part of the problem. We need a head coach with strong offensive skills and leadership.
You can't get a better offensive mind than Kubiak. Look not all coordinators (offensive or defensive) make good head coaches. End of discussion.

What Dickie is saying is that he wants to experiment again. Sorry. No Sale. We need a proven, winning, experienced coach. By Dickie's logic, we need to call up Mike Nolan in Denver. Yeah that worked out great in San Francisco.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2009   #8
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of agree with D-bag Dick on this one.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
You can't get a better offensive mind than Kubiak. Look not all coordinators (offensive or defensive) make good head coaches. End of discussion.

What Dickie is saying is that he wants to experiment again. Sorry. No Sale. We need a proven, winning, experienced coach. By Dickie's logic, we need to call up Mike Nolan in Denver. Yeah that worked out great in San Francisco.
Agree 1000 percent with you. On all counts.

Kubiak=offensive genius.

And, no more rookie head coaches. NO MORE.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
I mean a DC as head coach..grab Zimmer if that is the case
Old 11-30-2009   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
If Dick says it......don't do it.

Who cares what this ****stick says? I mean, seriously? I'd rather suck a fart from a dead chickens ass.
I was going to say if Dick says it, go for a Special Teams Coordinator.

Suck a what through a who???
Old 11-30-2009   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
Pokes are 8-3. Not too shabby especially considering Romo has had more than a few struggles and that their secondary has been a sivve at times.

I don't want a rookie head coach or the next big thing. I want someone who has already done it and can demand attention and respect throughout the organization and help energize the franchise and fanbase.

Guys like Cowher and Holmgren and yup, I am going to say it, Jimmy Johnson are guys that would come in and instantly change the whole mindset and perception of the franchise. Jimmy is too fond of Coronas and yachts to come back, but Cowher and Holmgren are both available.

We gotta jump on Cowher before Carolina comes calling. Carolina is the natural fit for him. Maybe McNair can use his Carolina connections to send a feeler out after the season if we fail to reach that testament to mediocrity 8-8.
Old 11-30-2009   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Justice
I'm not for hiring Bill Cowher...
That's all I needed to know about Dick. Reading anything else from this turd just drops my own I.Q. level, which doesn't need to take any more hits.
Old 11-30-2009   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Richie is as popular as ever in these parts ?
I dunno but I'm guessing he has in mind a Bill Parcells clone, that is a clone of the guy at that age when he was selected to coach the Giants back in the Day.
But can you imagine Parcells being too nervous to watch FG attempts by his own kicker during a game ? No, Kubiak just doesn't seem to have the steel in his balls or the quick wits to make the right moves when he's under the gun on Sunday afternoons.
Old 11-30-2009   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to chime in on this thread and state why I disagree with Richard Justice here.

First ask yourselves why we're firing Gary Kubiak. What is he missing that we're trying to find in a replacement coach? We've watched him coach for coming up on four years now and we know his team can play inspired football at times. We know he's imaginative and dedicated and capable of installing and running a powerful offense. What our team lacks is intensity, focus, direction, consistency, basically "leadership". Gary doesn't know how to get there. That's just "can't miss seeing it" at this point.

If you go get another coordinator you're bringing another man in who may or may not ever be able to provide that missing ingredient. We're all instantly on that guys bandwagon because Texans fans are desperate to see the corner turned. There are no ironclad guarantees however.

Who's coaching Pittsburgh right now? Who's coaching Indianapolis? The names of the predecessors are well known to me and yeah, I know the current coaches names but I didn't when they were hired to replace Dungy and Cowher.

Both of those men consistently won and established a winning tradition and mindset before leaving. The Belichick coaching tree, the Parcells coaching tree, there are reasons why people go back to these guys time and time again. No, not everybody that follows these coaches gets it right. That's true but the two men who followed Cowher and Dungy inherited a team that already knew everything it took to win. They inherited a system and a core set of beliefs that made their jobs much easier than that. Would you want to hire either of these guys away from Pittsburgh or Indianapolis if you could? Probably.

So why would anyone hesitate to hire one of the men who built the foundation that one of these guys succeeds on? If Dungy were available he'd be snapped up a moment and rightfully so. Cowher has a .623 winning percentage and a pair of Super Bowl trips. Dungy has a .668 winning percentage and a single Super Bowl trip. Both have rings.

Cowher won for 15 years. He knows how to win. If he stays 5 years here and is given the freedom to do what he needs to then there's no reason not to expect him to right this ship. More than that it's likely that if he does succeed our next head coach following Cowher's departure would come from inside our own organization. Instead of taking a chance on whether or not somebody elses coordinator is ready to step up why not hire a known quality head coach who will more than likely groom his own successor?
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

FWIW, Gary Kubiak was a product of the Mike Shanahan winning tradition in Denver.
Old 11-30-2009   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Cowher won for 15 years. He knows how to win. If he stays 5 years here and is given the freedom to do what he needs to then there's no reason not to expect him to right this ship. More than that it's likely that if he does succeed our next head coach following Cowher's departure would come from inside our own organization. Instead of taking a chance on whether or not somebody elses coordinator is ready to step up why not hire a known quality head coach who will more than likely groom his own successor?
Great point Herv. Cowher could go that far towards solidifying and legitimizing our franchise. You hire from within when you have success not when its convenient or cheap like hiring Bush from within. Bush has been OK but don't tell me Gregg Williams wouldn't have turned things around more. he would have like he did with a far worse defensive outfit in the Saints.

Another side note is that the offense is generally looked at as something that Kubiak has improved. Without a doubt, but Lil'Shanny has had a part in it too and he may not be part of Kubiak's staff next year if his dad gets a job and I am sure he will. That means we get a new OC next year either way or Kubiak has to focus more on that when he is already deficient as a Head Coach at game management, clock management, replay/review decisions, and at ingame/halftime adjustments.

And it is nice to not hear the 3-4 to 4-3 argument. Its football. 3-4 teams need to add a few true NTs and a few OLBs to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Smith and Mario could play DE in the scheme and could be better suited. It could force Mario to use more moves and handwork than just bullrushing or running yourself out of the play.

I don't read RJ because, even to me, his manboy love with VY is too much. Not an Astros fan either..so no RJ

and now that I read that he doesn't think the Texans should hire Cowher....I am glad I don't read him. Hearing him on 1560 tell tired old baseball stories about Baltimore Orioles players is enough RJ for me.
Old 11-30-2009   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Until Bob McNair makes a splashy hire, I am going to believe that the next hire (assuming that Kubiak is actually fired), will be a different version of the Caper/Kubiak solid man with good football experience. Not that Cowher is not that type of guy, but the at every turn, the Texans have almost shown an aversion making the highest of profile maneuver.
Old 11-30-2009   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
FWIW, Gary Kubiak was a product of the Mike Shanahan winning tradition in Denver.
Yes he was but as I said not every coach coming up from a successful tree is going to be capable of continuing that succeess.

We're not talking about hiring another assistant though. We're talking about hiring a guy who essentially "founded" on those successful coaching trees.

I don't understand why anyone would hesitate to do that. When you've never won anything at all how can there be resistance to a coach who wins consistently. He won with Bubby frigging Brister for crying out loud. He won with Kordell Stewart. Generally speaking he finds a way to win and all we do is find a way to lose.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The Elway tradition of winning

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read