Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2009   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Getting away from the running game

At halftime the Texans were up 20-7, and they were enjoying their best running game of the season outside of the Bills game. We ran it 19 times in the first half with alot of success.

The Colts had no idea what we were doing. You got an idea of just how successful and dangerous this offense can be when we can actually run the ball successfully and keep the defense honest.

We come out in the second half and just completely abandon the running game. We ran 3 times in the 3rd quarter and 2 times in the 4th. We even had success in the second half running it but we just quit. The game wasn't to a point where you had to pass the ball on every down until after Schaub got strip sacked.

For years I have been hearing Kubiak say "we just got away from the running game", or "we should have run the ball more late in the game". I understand that Kyle Shanahan is the OC, but if he is getting away from what opened up your offense in the first half than you need to tell him how to do his job.

This falls right down on Kubiak IMO. I have seen this happen so many times that I am just tired of it. There are so many things that have happened that lead me to believe that Kubiak is just not committed to the run game. It's not just the playcalling. He picks OL that can't run block to save their lives. He has never gone out and tried to acquire a capable set of RBs.

I don't think Schaub had a great game, but honestly he is being set up to fail. We have become extremely predictable late in games. We throw on EVERY SINGLE DOWN. Your QB will throw INTs and get stripped if you do that, NFL defenses are too smart.

In the 4th quarter, the Colts weren't even playing the running lanes, they were just rushing the passer. There was 14 minutes left in the 4th and we got the ball. We ran for a nice 12 yard gain on 1st down. We ran again on the next first down for 1 yard and that would be our last run play of the game. At that point in the game, it was 20-14.

Next possession, it is 21-20 and we throw to Leach, then on the next play Schaub gets pressured and throws an INT.

Next possession, still in the ball game. 8 minutes left. 28-20.

1st and 10 at HOU 20 M.Schaub pass short middle to K.Walter to HST 27 for 7 yards (P.Wheeler) [G.Brackett].
2nd and 3 at HOU 27 M.Schaub pass short right to J.Casey to HST 32 for 5 yards (J.Lacey).
1st and 10 at HOU 32 M.Schaub pass short left to V.Leach to HST 36 for 4 yards (P.Wheeler).
2nd and 6 at HOU 36 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short left to S.Slaton to HST 44 for 8 yards (C.Session; T.Jennings).
1st and 10 at HOU 44 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short middle to J.Casey to IND 44 for 12 yards (M.Bullitt).
1st and 10 at IND 44 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short left to A.Davis to IND 37 for 7 yards (J.Powers). PENALTY on HST-E.Winston, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at IND 44 - No Play.
1st and 20 at HOU 46 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to D.Anderson.
2nd and 20 at HOU 46 (Shotgun) M.Schaub sacked at HST 46 for 0 yards (R.Mathis). FUMBLES (R.Mathis), RECOVERED by IND-R.Brock at HST 37. R.Brock to HST 37 for no gain (M.Schaub).

Pass on every play!

You cannot win in the NFL if you do not commit and succeed in the running game. Period. Kubiak has shown he will not. He has left us no choice.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Getting away from the running game

i think we tried to run in the second half but they were just shutting or run game down

and we just tried to play the cards we are good at passing the ball

things got out of control and before we knew it we were down two TD then we had no choice but to pass
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand and it was a complete mystery to me why our approach to winning this game changed so drastically from one half to the next. This is why Kubiak is not head coach material. He literally gets away from what he will tell you is exactly what they need to do and he does it every single game practically. Now granted Shanahan is calling plays (so we're told, no choice but to accept that) but how can somebody time and again be this far off of what they need to do to win and continue to be allowed to operate without any correction?

This is very similar to Dom Capers, 3-4 "Master Shifu" handing the reigns to the defense over to Vic "I'm a clown" Fangio and then seemingly never again having any input into what they're doing. Why did we have a coach with a defensive reputation like that if he's going to let a stooge DC run the thing into the ground? If Kubiak is this offensive guru from whom people all around the league borrow from then why isn't he running our damned offense? It's not like his game management got any better when he quit running the offense. It's just as bad as it always was. If he's going to pick one side of the ball to say "Here, you got this" then let it be Frank Bush's defense.

Unless he's fine with this in which case he again is screwing up and needs to go.

How Bob McNair can sit through this I will never know.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

with our soft O line

i wouldnt run the ball either TBH
Old 11-29-2009   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i think we tried to run in the second half but they were just shutting or run game down

and we just tried to play the cards we are good at passing the ball

things got out of control and before we knew it we were down two TD then we had no choice but to pass
Nope.

3rd quarter. 1st possession.

1st and 10 at HOU 17 S.Slaton left tackle to HST 20 for 3 yards (A.Johnson).
2nd and 7 at HOU 20 S.Slaton right end to HST 32 for 12 yards (M.Bullitt).
1st and 10 at HOU 32 M.Schaub pass deep middle intended for A.Johnson INTERCEPTED by A.Bethea at IND 17. A.Bethea to IND 17 for no gain (A.Johnson).

We were running effectively and we take a deep shot where Schaub and Johnson weren't on the same page.

3rd quarter. 2nd possession.

We run Chris Brown once for 4 yards.

4th quarter. 1st possession.

1st and 10 at HOU 22 C.Brown left tackle to HST 34 for 12 yards (A.Johnson). IND-R.Mathis was injured during the play.
1st and 10 at HOU 34 C.Brown left tackle to HST 35 for 1 yard (G.Brackett, A.Johnson).

As I said earlier, this is our last run play of the game. They didn't shut our run game down at any point of the game.

Go here and look at the play-by-play. We ran the ball very well throughout the day.
Old 11-29-2009   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

it was our last run play becasue 4 and 1 yard gains isnt going to cut it and keep pace with mannings scoring

running is all good and stuff in the 2nd half when u have are good lead i still think our o line would have cooled off anywayz if we continued to run the ball

thoes 4 and 1 yard games would have turned into 0 and 2 yrd gains then that stat sheet would have really looked dumb
Old 11-29-2009   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
with our soft O line

i wouldnt run the ball either TBH
Usually, I would agree with you but in this game we were dominating them with our running game when we actually ran the ball. Consistently, we were getting 6 yards, 9 yards, 3 yards, 4 yards. I think we had two 2 yard gains, and one 1 yard gain in the whole game.

Quote:
it was our last run play becasue 4 and 1 yard gains isnt going to cut it and keep pace with mannings scoring

running is all good and stuff in the 2nd half when u have are good lead i still think our o line would have cooled off anywayz if we continued to run the ball

thoes 4 and 1 yard games would have turned into 0 and 2 yrd gains then that stat sheet would have really looked dumb
Are you even reading the play-by-play I am posting? We ran for 12 yards on first down on our second to last run play.

Your not grasping what I am trying to show.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2009   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

also u got to account running the ball would have eaten up some clock and in the 2nd half we needed all the time we could get

Look iam for running the ball but when u have Brown getting losts of touches which ill go on the record i hate brown

and your down buy 14+ points ill be the first to tell u Screw running the ball gunsling it

i dont care if we have 4+ yards average per carry
Old 11-29-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
also u got to account running the ball would have eaten up some clock and in the 2nd half we needed all the time we could get

Look iam for running the ball but when u have Brown getting losts of touches which ill go on the record i hate brown

and your down buy 14+ points ill be the first to tell u Screw running the ball gunsling it

Ok, agree to disagree.

8 minutes left and we are down by 8 points. Best scenario is that we run the ball effectively and drive down the field, eat the clock, score a TD, and get the 2 point conversion.

Passing the ball on every play does not give you the chance to do that at all. Even if we do pass it every down and score a TD, then get the 2 point conversion, we would have given Peyton the ball late in a tied game.
Old 11-30-2009   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

There were games earlier in the year where Andre was effective at the start and then languished as not much more than a decoy for the rest of the game. I don't know if the Texans coaches over-analyze things and outsmart themselves, but they certainly play a role in shutting down their own offense.

Kubiak: We will run the ball.
Shanahan: They know we will run the ball.
Kubiak: But we know they know we will run the ball.
Shanahan: But they know we know they know we will run the ball.
Kubiak: But we know they know we know they know we will run the ball.
Shanahan: But they know we know they know we know they know we will run the ball.

Kubiak: Better call a pass.
Old 11-30-2009   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We were leading going into the 4th quarter. Running the ball keeps the ball out of Manning's hands. We absolutely screwed the pooch by not running the ball. Heck, we probably should have run the ball more in the first half.
Old 11-30-2009   #12
Norg
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
We were leading going into the 4th quarter. Running the ball keeps the ball out of Manning's hands. We absolutely screwed the pooch by not running the ball. Heck, we probably should have run the ball more in the first half.

we were i thought it was tied or near getting tired

either way we played poorly the entire 2nd half maybe we could have ran the ball we didnt ge a chance 2 not when drives were cut short by Mattys 2 INT and one fumble in the 2nd half
Old 11-30-2009   #13
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we were i thought it was tied or near getting tired

either way we played poorly the entire 2nd half maybe we could have ran the ball we didnt ge a chance 2 not when drives were cut short by Mattys 2 INT and one fumble in the 2nd half
...but the Texans could have been running on those plays...
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
...but the Texans could have been running on those plays...
could shoulda woulda

i guess iam not has Confident in our running game has u
Old 11-30-2009   #15
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
could shoulda woulda

i guess iam not has Confident in our running game has u
But the coach is doing a fine job? Ooooooook.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #16
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak plays not to lose and since the running game had produced fumbles in the past, Kubiak got scared and didn't show any trust in his players to run the ball...thus, we got pass happy and thus we lost the game making turnovers in the passing game anyway as we went along. Kubiak isn't my coach anymore and he needs to go because he has no confidence in his players.
Old 11-30-2009   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Texans View Post
Kubiak plays not to lose and since the running game had produced fumbles in the past, Kubiak got scared and didn't show any trust in his players to run the ball...thus, we got pass happy and thus we lost the game making turnovers in the passing game anyway as we went along. Kubiak isn't my coach anymore and he needs to go because he has no confidence in his players.
I don't think that is why. We were running effectively in THAT game, and there is probably a higher probability of throwing a pick or fumbling when you throw it every down, compared to running the ball.
Old 11-30-2009   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We got one dimensional in the second half and it played right into the Colts' best asset on defense which is getting pressure and forcing mistakes. Even without Freeney, if you don't give the Colts a reason to think you're gonna run they WILL pin their ears back and they WILL force your QB to make mistakes.

Its beyond me as to why the coaches who always harp on the running game decide to abandon it when its working at its best...
Old 11-30-2009   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
We got one dimensional in the second half and it played right into the Colts' best asset on defense which is getting pressure and forcing mistakes. Even without Freeney, if you don't give the Colts a reason to think you're gonna run they WILL pin their ears back and they WILL force your QB to make mistakes.

Its beyond me as to why the coaches who always harp on the running game decide to abandon it when its working at its best...
It's a Kubiak Monday Presser Classic don't you know. "We should have run the ball more" gets a lot of play.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Texans View Post
TexansSeminole is right. We ran the ball well enough to keep the Colts guessing. Any body who didn't see that yesterday shouldn't critic game plans.

The same thing happened agains the Titans. Except we ran it better against the Colts.

Against the Titans, we were getting them for 5 & 7 yards, staying on schedule, and converting easy third downs.

Against the Colts, Chris Brown broke one for 12 yards.

After the pic 6, we were only down by 8, & they abandon the only game plan that works against the Colts.

Up until then, it was turn-overs & penalties that took us from manageable third downs to definite passing situations.

an INT to end our first possession of the second half.

a False Start by Chris White to take us from 3-6 to 3-11 on our second possession.

two incomplete passes (after 2 runs for a total of 13 yards) to end our third possesion.

We give the ball back to Manning here, 11:04 left in the 4th Qtr, and we're still up by 6.

We get the ball back with 8:24 minutes to go, down by 1. Two plays into this possession, Matt throws the Ball to Sessions for an easy touch down.

Still we get the ball back with 8:04 left in the game, we're down by 8. There is no reason why we shouldn't have tried to run the ball at least once in the next 8 plays.

If we caught them in some goofy defense that we wanted to take advantage of, I could see it. But then, we'd have to go no huddle, and we didn't.

We just blew it right here, because of the sidelines..... not the running game, or any percieved lack there of. We ran the ball well in this game.

91 yards in the first half.

5 run plays in the second half for 32 yards, do the math.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read