Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2009   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is why we HAVE to win on Sunday vs. the Colts..

No team in football this season has endured the heartbreak that the Houston Texans have. Teams have had tough losses, but none rival the amount the 5-5 Texans have had. During Monday night's 20-17 loss against Tennessee, Houston kicker Kris Brown missed two 49-yard field goals, including one on the last play of the game. In Week 9 at Indianapolis, Brown missed a 42-yard field goal that would have tied the game and sent it to overtime. Then the Texans had a bye to stew about that tough loss before returning for the Monday night heartbreak.

Earlier this season, Texans running back Chris Brown fumbled just before he would have scored what would have been a game-winning touchdown against Jacksonville. And Brown also failed to get 1 yard on a fourth-and-goal play from the 1-yard line against Arizona, a play that could have sent the game to overtime. The Texans just as easily could be 9-1 as they are 5-5, but they have failed to convert in the red zone or in the clutch. Now they get a chance to redeem themselves Sunday versus the unbeaten Colts. It will not be easy. But none of the Texans' losses this season has been.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...dam&id=4689690
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is why we HAVE to win on Sunday vs. the Colts..

Quote:
The Texans just as easily could be 9-1 as they are 5-5
yep - a couple plays away in each of those games.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Dangerously close to 3-7 don't forget, but yeah...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #4
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown's TD against Jacksonville would've tied it, not won it. Still need to win though.
sometexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #5
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Dangerously close to 3-7 don't forget, but yeah...
Exactly but looking at the BIGGER picture here, but yea could've been easily in a bracket w/ the Browns and the Bucs this season...nah
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Its now or never time for Kubiak. He loses here, playoffs are pretty much out of the question which means he should be fired imo for not getting to the playoffs after 4 years as our HC. This season's theme has been missed opportunities with the Texans having the same problems they've had since the franchise's inception which is coming up with the plays at the end of games to get the win.
Old 11-28-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Its now or never time for Kubiak. He loses here, playoffs are pretty much out of the question which means he should be fired imo for not getting to the playoffs after 4 years as our HC. This season's theme has been missed opportunities with the Texans having the same problems they've had since the franchise's inception which is coming up with the plays at the end of games to get the win.
Let's get beyond the standard lines like, "coaches are measured by wins and losses" or "you are what your record is", etc... All of those statements have an element of truth in them when applied to the proper context. I am very frustrated right now that this team is no better than 5-5. But, I am very excited that this team has the ability to finish 11-5. Rick Smith, together with Kubiak and his staff, have developed a highly competitive and talented team. The ability displayed on the field goes beyond the player assessment and to player development. I don't think a reasonable owner can blow up a coaching staff/organization that has put together this talented and young of a team, developed them, and has the team playing hard for them.... particularly a year in front of a possible work stoppage. I don't expect nor would I agree with a regime change unless the team quits in December. While I share everyone's frustration to this point and disappointment if this team doesn't reach 10 wins, I just don't see that it is time to panic, despite of the weaknesses illustrated by Kubiak and staff to this point.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2009   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans don't win Sunday, they can forget about the playoffs.
They are currently 1-3 in the division, and if they lose to Indy OR Jacksonville,
then they lose ALL possible tiebreakers to them. It would be even worse,
should the Titans beat Indy and Jacksonville and finish 3-3 in the division.

Either way, the Texans MUST win Sunday, and if they do, Jacksonville
will be ANOTHER "must win." So, in summary...

If the Texans lose to the Colts OR Jags, it's goodbye 2009 playoffs.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
[b]During Monday night's 20-17 loss against Tennessee, Houston kicker Kris Brown missed two 49-yard field goals, including one on the last play of the game.
What? he missed 2 field goals in that same game?

But I thought it wasn't his fault that we lost the game.

I mean all things being equal.... if he had made the first filed goal... the score would have been 20 to 20.

& if he made that last field goal.. the score would have been.. this is too hard for me.

But I am certain, we did not lose that game because of anything Kris Brown did or did not do.

Twice.
Old 11-28-2009   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Let's get beyond the standard lines like, "coaches are measured by wins and losses" or "you are what your record is", etc... All of those statements have an element of truth in them when applied to the proper context. I am very frustrated right now that this team is no better than 5-5. But, I am very excited that this team has the ability to finish 11-5. Rick Smith, together with Kubiak and his staff, have developed a highly competitive and talented team. The ability displayed on the field goes beyond the player assessment and to player development. I don't think a reasonable owner can blow up a coaching staff/organization that has put together this talented and young of a team, developed them, and has the team playing hard for them.... particularly a year in front of a possible work stoppage. I don't expect nor would I agree with a regime change unless the team quits in December. While I share everyone's frustration to this point and disappointment if this team doesn't reach 10 wins, I just don't see that it is time to panic, despite of the weaknesses illustrated by Kubiak and staff to this point.
But, our record is what it is. We are 5-5.

We can't ignore that.

I had several people calling me this week. One was a sportswriter I'm good friends with. This person is very knowledgable about sports, and I trust their opinoin. This person's comment was: "You guys have a Super Bowl Quarterback."

And, my dad - who lives 1000 miles away - watched the game and called me. The first words out of his mouth were about our QB.

My point: Are we better than 5-5? Yes. We have a TOP SHELF QB who is ready to roll.

But, at the end of the day, our top shelf qb is 5-5.

That, unfortunately, is all that matters.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Bassicaly

WIn and we can move on

Lose and well i guess we can start talking about the NFL draft LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: This is why we HAVE to win on Sunday vs. the Colts..

...so we don't fall below .500

/thread
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Dwight Freeney will sit Sunday VS the Texans so thats one more reason for us to hope we can pull off an upset!

- "All I want for X-Mas is to see the Texans in the playoffs, is that too much to ask?"
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 226555 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
This team has shown me nothing to make me believe that they can rip off a six game winning streak. They have a chance to win any game they play now, which is a huge improvement over past seasons. They don't shoot themselves in the foot quite as often as they did last year. But they still don't score enough points, they still don't covert key 3rd downs, and they still find a way to lose. They are a 5-5 team.
Old 11-29-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
But, our record is what it is. We are 5-5.

We can't ignore that.

I had several people calling me this week. One was a sportswriter I'm good friends with. This person is very knowledgable about sports, and I trust their opinoin. This person's comment was: "You guys have a Super Bowl Quarterback."

And, my dad - who lives 1000 miles away - watched the game and called me. The first words out of his mouth were about our QB.

My point: Are we better than 5-5? Yes. We have a TOP SHELF QB who is ready to roll.

But, at the end of the day, our top shelf qb is 5-5.

That, unfortunately, is all that matters.
It is all that matters in regards to this season's playoff race. But, if you are assessing the future course of the team, you had better factor in other things besides just the win - loss record... and, that's my point. This season can be a disappointment without it meaning the removal of those ultimately responsible for the disappointment.
Old 11-29-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
This team has shown me nothing to make me believe that they can rip off a six game winning streak. They have a chance to win any game they play now, which is a huge improvement over past seasons. They don't shoot themselves in the foot quite as often as they did last year. But they still don't score enough points, they still don't covert key 3rd downs, and they still find a way to lose. They are a 5-5 team.
They haven't been outmatched since week one. That, to me, points to the potential of a very strong finish. Believe me, I'm not guaranteeing one, but I am not writing the season off before it happens... and, not just because of some silly fan loyalty but because this team is good enough to beat anybody and to dominate a few as well... St Louis and Seattle are wins in the bag. If we win the next two, we are sitting at 9-5. I'll mourn the season if that fails to happen. But, not yet!
Old 11-29-2009   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is all that matters in regards to this season's playoff race. But, if you are assessing the future course of the team, you had better factor in other things besides just the win - loss record... and, that's my point. This season can be a disappointment without it meaning the removal of those ultimately responsible for the disappointment.
WTF?????

Are you kidding me with this?

How many disappointments do we need? What will be this year's excuse. Last year, I reluctantly accepted 8-8 because, as was conventional wisdom, it was a "better" 8-8 than the 8-8 the year before. Last year, I ignored the win-loss record.

But, this year, the stars have aligned perfectly. There are no excuses for an 8-8 this year.

Again: We have a TOP NOTCH QB and a TOP NOTCH WR. Yet, we are 5-5.

That.Is.A.Problem.
Old 11-29-2009   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
They haven't been outmatched since week one. That, to me, points to the potential of a very strong finish. Believe me, I'm not guaranteeing one, but I am not writing the season off before it happens... and, not just because of some silly fan loyalty but because this team is good enough to beat anybody and to dominate a few as well... St Louis and Seattle are wins in the bag. If we win the next two, we are sitting at 9-5. I'll mourn the season if that fails to happen. But, not yet!
There is no such thing as "wins in the bag" for this team. If we can somehow beat both Indy and the Jags you better believe there's a high possibility that the Rams game is a trap game after all the effort the Texans will have expended to defeat two division rivals.

Plus, lets not forget that the Seahawks beat the Jags 41-0!!! I do not want to take a team that is capable of doing something like that to a team that beat us in our house very lightly and count them as a "win in the bag".
Old 11-29-2009   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then you have to ask yourself why are we looking up at Jacksonville and Indy? Why do we have a team that was 0-6 breathing down our necks?

Something's missing.

Personally, I think that something is up front in the offensive line. I don't think a coaching change is in order. The plays they've called in the aforementioned "heart-breaking situs would have worked with more push up front. I think upgrades in the middle of the O-line are in order.
With a better line, Chris Brown makes it into the endzone against AZ.
...and against Jacksonville
...Maybe Moats has a clear lane to run into the endzone against the Colts.
...Maybe Steve Slaton isn't suffering what seems to be the feared "sophomore slump".

Then again, maybe we are who our record says we are. The "almost there" guys. With a better O-line maybe we get over that "almost there' crap.

I sure would like to find out.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Then you have to ask yourself why are we looking up at Jacksonville and Indy? Why do we have a team that was 0-6 breathing down our necks?

Something's missing.

Personally, I think that something is up front in the offensive line. I don't think a coaching change is in order. The plays they've called in the aforementioned "heart-breaking situs would have worked with more push up front. I think upgrades in the middle of the O-line are in order.
With a better line, Chris Brown makes it into the endzone against AZ.
...and against Jacksonville
...Maybe Moats has a clear lane to run into the endzone against the Colts.
...Maybe Steve Slaton isn't suffering what seems to be the feared "sophomore slump".

Then again, maybe we are who our record says we are. The "almost there" guys. With a better O-line maybe we get over that "almost there' crap.

I sure would like to find out.

Exactly. We had a nice little 2nd place spot, but the Jags (a team that SUCKS with a coach that should have been fired two years ago) passed us. And, the Titans (a team that started 0-6) are on our asses like white on rice.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read