Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2009   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What the problem is?

Where do you even begin to point? Consistency is the stuff of champions and we're sorely lacking that. Do you look at Kubiak and his staff? Do you look at units? Individuals? Some combination of everything? I look at the problems and wonder when, WHEN will something be if not better...then at least different?

Kubiak and Smith have brought in some good vibes to a team that had exactly none of that going on. Smith brought in a system of scouting that has brought in talented player after talented player. Mistakes have been made in F/A but for the most part getting the right players in has been a great success. Kubiak has coached up player after player but it seems no level of production has brought any overall success....why?

The staff is starting to really bug me. I'm all for 'my guys' but those guys need to bring the pain. Gibbs has been completely underwhelming, Shanahan seemed to fit every part up until OC where he has gone completely left, lets not even mention Smith, Bush has been an okay influence thus far, Kollar has done nothing and boy Gibbs has had at least a little success with not much talent. That's not a championship staff in my view.

So is it units? OL has a player or two I feel have something of a future but otherwise they are the worst entity of the offense. RB was never a strength even when Slaton was doing Stevie Wonder. DL has had more resources put in it than any other unit and they are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. No pass rush, little run stopping power. LB saves the D in my opinion but that's because we have a former DROY and a damn good candidate for the next DROY. The secondary looks better than it ever has with good FA additions but hampered by injuries and a shattering ego where do they look for a much needed lift?

Is it individuals? Schaub has been everything we needed but Slaton hasn't. AJ hasn't had a 10 reception game in a few. OD was lights out but now he's just out. JJ took the next step and Walter took one back. Kasey Studdard has no business on a football field, Chris Brown either. Mario has fallen completely short of his expectations, Okoye with him. Smith has been a solid player but Cody is a stop gap. Cushing, Demeco and Diles have saved the day from where I sit. Pollard was a godsend, EW with him. Reeves has had a stellar year but Dunta...my god what is he still starting for?

The only consistency I see is that we win one game and then lose one game. It's on the players for having such up and down individual performances but overall I feel like it's a Kubiak problem and I've defended him for long enough. This isn't a call for Kubiak's head (right now anyway) this is a call for a bunch of individuals to pull together as a TEAM and start living up to hypes, expectations and big talk.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What the problem is?

Proof positive of a very young team. That's not an excuse, it's just reality.
Old 11-25-2009   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensively, this team is becoming a strength.

Offensively, the loss of Pitts, Chris Myer's Ankle, and Brisiel, have really
hurt this team. You can not underestimate the loss of our interior OL,
especially a healthy Chester Pitts, to our offense. Schaub is showing
why Smith and Kubiak gave away the second round of the '07-'08 drafts
for him, but our backs can't run through that crap we call an interior
OL.

This team is REALLY another season away, IF they don't crater on Kubes the
rest of the season. The true question is...

Does this team have 5 more wins left in it? They were 3-7 at this time last
year. One could argue that our kicker has cost us at least THREE wins
so far this season. We have the Colts, Jags, Seahawks, Rams, Dolphins, and
Patriots left. The Colts game is a MUST WIN. After that, we ain't
talkin "playoffs" no more.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest, do we have any veteran leadership? I heard a guy call into the eric winston show and bring up 4th qtr scoring by our offense. Believe he said we only had 45 pts so far, think it was 21 in buffalo and a bunch of nothing in six or seven games. Seems like we can never pull away. We're competitive, we just can't close it out.
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It's harder for teams to take the step from .500 to a playoff team than it is to take a team from a 3-4 win team to a 8 win team. To become a playoff team you have to beat playoff teams, at least sometimes. Kubiak 5-16 against AFC South, so until we start to play better vs better teams (consistently) will will stay stuck in the muck. We still have time to take that next step (this season) but this week is a MUST WIN vs the Colts or the season is basically over for all intents and purposes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Until we get into the playoffs, I will continue to ***** and moan about it. However Texan Bill is right, they play like the youngest team in the NFL.

I think we are headed in the right direction, just moving a heck of a lot slower than I want.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Three parts to this offense. AJ, Owen Daniels, and Steve Slaton. That's last years high-octane formula.

We lost Slaton from day one to this "funk" he's in but that's fine. Not great but fine. We can roll with our monster WR and TE and pass like crazy so that's what we did.

When we lost Owen Daniels though we really got into trouble. AJ's awesome but without a running game and without Owen Daniels ability to find and take advantage of the openings AJ creates we're just not that tough to keep in check. Dreeson and Casey can't do it. Casey might be another Owen Daniels in a year or two but he's rookie right now and he's not ready.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Until we get into the playoffs, I will continue to ***** and moan about it. However Texan Bill is right, they play like the youngest team in the NFL.

I think we are headed in the right direction, just moving a heck of a lot slower than I want.
Which IMO, reeks of poor coaching. I've been on Kubiaks side since day one, but watching inconsistent play every week is really starting to wear on me.

I'm tired of saying we're headed in the right direction too. To be headed in the right direction you have to be headed some where. We're going in circles and always ending up in the same place we started. If getting to be a playoff team takes bringing in a new coach, then so be it. We've freakin waited this dadgum long, why not another year or two?

I feel better now.
Old 11-25-2009   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe its us when the offensive is on the filed maybe we at to be a little more quite ........ were we could here a pin drop dropping
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #10
IndyColts#1
waterboy

From an outsiders view, part of it is having a young team, but it's more about having leadership in the right places. The Colts are one of the youngest teams in the NFL and have been for several years, but they have leadership in several key places with Freeney, Saturday and Manning.

Schaub is a very good QB, but needs to take the next step in his maturation process. He has a tendency at times to go deep a little too often instead of taking the short pass when the deep ball isn't there. You have to have good depth to get thru all of the injuries and that requires being good at finding talent in the undrafted free agents. The Colts have played most of their games without three of four starting DB's. Yet the D is playing better than anytime in recent history because of some FA's.

It won't be long before the Texans are on the positive side of the W column. I just hope it doesn't start this Sunday.
IndyColts#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah on that last third down he tried to throw the ball to AJ over like 3 Titans when Leech was wide has open in the check down a 8 yad pass iam sure Big ass leech could have ran the other 4 to the outside for the First down

If its reallly not there like 3 Guys all over AJ dont throw to HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Three parts to this offense. AJ, Owen Daniels, and Steve Slaton. That's last years high-octane formula.

We lost Slaton from day one to this "funk" he's in but that's fine. Not great but fine. We can roll with our monster WR and TE and pass like crazy so that's what we did.

When we lost Owen Daniels though we really got into trouble. AJ's awesome but without a running game and without Owen Daniels ability to find and take advantage of the openings AJ creates we're just not that tough to keep in check. Dreeson and Casey can't do it. Casey might be another Owen Daniels in a year or two but he's rookie right now and he's not ready.
I can get with this, would like to add however the Texans lack of playmaking ability is due to poor pass protection, which Schaub needs, to get the ball more to Andre Johnson in long developing routes.

Happy Thanksgiving
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #13
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Which IMO, reeks of poor coaching. I've been on Kubiaks side since day one, but watching inconsistent play every week is really starting to wear on me.

I'm tired of saying we're headed in the right direction too. To be headed in the right direction you have to be headed some where. We're going in circles and always ending up in the same place we started. If getting to be a playoff team takes bringing in a new coach, then so be it. We've freakin waited this dadgum long, why not another year or two?

I feel better now.
bada booom bada bing... i took a days rest from even coming to the forum after monday night.. im not gonna lie i was angery... and the past 2 days have been pretty shitty cause im in a bad mood after that game..

coaching is what it comes down to.. especially on the offensive side of the football.. we have 2 weeks to prepare and monday night comes and we only put up 17 points when we have a great offensive attack... i could see early on that slaton was on fire in the game but yet kubiak and kyle continued to use chris brown... why?? he has absolutly no burst at all.. he is terrible... so unless we go 10-6 i want kubiak outta here... kyle is to young to be in charge of an entire offense... should have kept him as a positional coach for awhile.....

by the way cushing and pollard are my favorite texans now lol... and antonio smith was a great addition.. love the way these guys play.... none stop fire and trash talking.. need alot more players like them.. oh and smiths little elbow to mawai(sp) was freakin awesome lol
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pickle View Post
by the way cushing and pollard are my favorite texans now lol... and antonio smith was a great addition.. love the way these guys play.... none stop fire and trash talking.. need alot more players like them.. oh and smiths little elbow to mawai(sp) was freakin awesome lol
Antonio Smith is a scumbag. I didn't see it at the game but I just rewatched the match I had on DVR and lost all respect for this fool.

Old 11-25-2009   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColts#1 View Post
From an outsiders view, part of it is having a young team, but it's more about having leadership in the right places. The Colts are one of the youngest teams in the NFL and have been for several years, but they have leadership in several key places with Freeney, Saturday and Manning.

Schaub is a very good QB, but needs to take the next step in his maturation process. He has a tendency at times to go deep a little too often instead of taking the short pass when the deep ball isn't there. You have to have good depth to get thru all of the injuries and that requires being good at finding talent in the undrafted free agents. The Colts have played most of their games without three of four starting DB's. Yet the D is playing better than anytime in recent history because of some FA's.

It won't be long before the Texans are on the positive side of the W column. I just hope it doesn't start this Sunday.
All 3 guys you mentioned as leaders are all salty vets. The closest the Texans have to anyone like that is AJ and he's not a very vocal kind of leader. He leads by actions. Who would be next on the Texans? Maybe DeMeco. Schaub, while not young, is for all intents and purposes is in his 3rd year.

If Dunta were a leader, I wouldn't be following.
Old 11-25-2009   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Antonio Smith is a scumbag. I didn't see it at the game but I just rewatched the match I had on DVR and lost all respect for this fool.
What did he do?

edit...nevermind
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Mawae gets a cheap shot from Antonio Smith
Posted by Mike Florio on November 23, 2009 11:09 PM ET
NBC's Rodney Harrison thinks the Titans are the dirtiest team in the league. Those in the league think that Titans center Kevin Mawae is its dirtiest player.

For at least one play, Mawae has been one-upped.

During the fourth quarter of Monday night's game, Texans defensive end Antonio Smith applied a wicked elbow to Mawae's midsection, right in front of the umpire. Smith drew a flag, the Titans picked up 15 yards of field position, and Smith surely will be facing a stiff fine.

On the very next play, Mawae drew the ire of Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, via an apparent chop block. Specifically, it looked as if Mawae tried to go low on Okoye while Okoye was engaged up high by the right guard.

As to Smith, we've got a feeling that his explanation involves an allegation of something that Mawae did to him before Antonio put his elbow into the lower portion of the NFLPA president's torso.
Mawae gets a cheap shot from Antonio Smith
Old 11-25-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

lol, I just watched that...Mawae looked like he stumbled...he got back up to continue his block....but it looks better when the press says it looked like a chop block. I've never seen a guy try to chop someone and stay upright to engage his man.

Old 11-25-2009   #19
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is players aren't stepping up and making the plays we need to win. Dunta, Kris Brown, the other Chris Brown, Slaton's fumblitis, Mario. We need guys to lead on the field. That and a new center.

You have to like how we compete. Schaub may throw a stupid interception, Dunta may drop an easy intereption, we may be down 21-0 at halftime but I've never seen the team quit. But, it's about making the plays to win.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #20
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure what Antonio Smith's deal was but he mentioned in the post game quotes about guys not playing "honorable" or something like that.

I've always found it funny/strange that the league's "dirtiest player" is also head of the NFLPA. Maybe it's the "do whatever it takes" attitude that will help with negotiations?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read