Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-24-2009   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak: Brown is 'our kicker'

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6737607.html

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Tuesday that the team will not audition kickers in the wake of Kris Brown’s latest missed field goal in Monday’s 20-17 loss to the Titans.

“Kris is our kicker,” Kubiak said at his weekly press conference.

Brown missed a 49-yard field goal with one second left that would have sent the game into overtime. Two weeks earlier, Brown missed a 42-yarder in the final minute in a 20-17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

“(I’m) the reason we lose the game,” Brown said after Monday’s loss dropped the Texans to 5-5. “That’s hard for me to take. I need to go figure out what the heck is going on, and I need to figure it out pretty quick.”

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #2
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Brown is 'our kicker'

I've been waiting for this thread. You have to consider the guy's, "body of work", while in Houston. He's been a clutch kicker and in MY mind, he isn't responsible for either loss. YES, he's paid to MAKE field goals and he's obviously in a slump. The last time I checked, he didn't play defense, or offense. The TEAM lost last night, as well as Brown.

Last edited by Livid13; 11-24-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Livid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If only he'd shown the same commitment to Slaton, Kris Brown might not even be an issue right now.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
“Kris is our kicker,” Kubiak said at his weekly press conference.
I'm gonna take a respite in my dogging of Kubiak for a second. I think I can speak for all of us by recognizing the fact that Kris Brown is indeed our kicker. Nobody can accuse me of saying he is getting it all wrong.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #5
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is, his issue is mental. All kickers are pretty much the same. Some have better range than others, but finding kickers who make the easy kicks is simple.

The thing that separates great ones from good ones is how they perform in the clutch. Bringing FAs in for tryouts doesn't mean jack because in a tryout you can't have them in a clutch situation.

We're all mad at KB right now - I'm no different - but you're not going to do any better than him right now as far as FAs go. Now, once the season is over? Goodbye. Unless he suddenly gets his clutch mojo back.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Brown has been a great kicker for many of these years, however Brown has never failed miserably like this in two straight games where his kicks stopped us from tying up games. And he missed two important FG's last night as well and missed like one or two early on this year that he should have gotten. He clearly has not been the same kicker that he was in years past. It's time to find a new kicker. I don't think we can find one now, but in the off season we need to find a new one.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I liken kickers to golfers. No one can really explain why they get the yips, but they do. Sometimes it's mechanical but mostly it's mental.

I agree Brown choked the 42 yard in Indy. However, I'm not going to be as critical on a 49 yarder. 7 yards doesn't seem like a lot, but it is to a kicker.
Old 11-24-2009   #8
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

So there are no consequences? Texans are not even going to tryout potential new kickers? At all? Kris "hookit" Brown keeps his job and they don't even attempt to hold em accountable or even "scare" him of losing his job by having potential kickers to scare him "straight"? Kris Brown is officially our Brad Lidge.
Old 11-24-2009   #9
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid13 View Post
I've been waiting for this thread. You have to consider the guy's, "body of work", while in Houston. He's been a clutch kicker and in MY mind, he isn't responsible for either loss. YES, he's paid to MAKE field goals and he's obviously in a slump. The last time I checked, he didn't play defense, or offense. The TEAM lost last night, as well as Brown.
This is very true. Kris Brown was clutch for us when we were going 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, and already well out of the playoff race.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid13 View Post
Nobody has said that Brown plays offense or defense. He is paid to do one thing for this team: kick the ball.

The offense put him in position to do his job and he failed twice. And in the game before, as well.

Kubiak benches RBs who fail, but we don't have a backup kicker so we are stuck with him and his mental issues for at least the rest of the season. I just hope the offense realizes that we can't just settle for getting into field goal range now.
Old 11-24-2009   #11
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Falcons aren't afraid to apply a little pressure.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6737527.html
Old 11-24-2009   #12
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak needs to grow a pair. Bring in some kickers. Seriously.
Old 11-24-2009   #13
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 35244 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who's his holder now? Has this changed from last year to this year? I do know that the snapper has changed, with Bryan Pittman being released late last season. I have a mental picture that Brown has not kicked as well since Pittman's release. Has anyone else sensed this?
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I liken kickers to golfers. No one can really explain why they get the yips, but they do. Sometimes it's mechanical but mostly it's mental.

I agree Brown choked the 42 yard in Indy. However, I'm not going to be as critical on a 49 yarder. 7 yards doesn't seem like a lot, but it is to a kicker.
then why did dumb*** Kubiak not call a play with :08 left and a timeout in hand? why did he call the 'schaub fall in middle of hash' play. Kubiak is a big puhcee. Period. He plays scared and he plays not to lose.

Kubiak sucks and is a proven loser. I don't care where he went to school.
Old 11-24-2009   #15
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Whether Kubiak really thinks Brown is our kicker or not, do you expect Kubiak to come out saying Brown isn't our kicker in the middle of season? Not likely.

Yes, Brown missed crucial FG goals for last two games which made me really sick. However, he has been reliable in the past and to bring in FA right now to tryout is not going to help Brown's confidence level at all. I would assume our FO will take a hard look after this season.

Besides, bring FA to tryout and playing real pressuring game situation is the world of difference. FA kicker(questionable reliability) VS Mostly reliable kicker. I would take Brown for remainer of season.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 11-24-2009 at 07:46 PM.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

In other words that means

for now or the end of the season depending on his play
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #17
Esoom
Veteran

Section: 631
Rep Power: 257 Esoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
then why did dumb*** Kubiak not call a play with :08 left and a timeout in hand? why did he call the 'schaub fall in middle of hash' play. Kubiak is a big puhcee. Period. He plays scared and he plays not to lose.

Kubiak sucks and is a proven loser. I don't care where he went to school.
Kubiak called the same call that the vast majority of other coaches with a proven clutch kicker would have called in that situation. If he would have gone for it all and time would have ran out you'd be pissed at him for that as well. He made a logical call and Kris Brown choked.
Old 11-24-2009   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

What did the Colts do when Vanderjagt, the most acurate kicker in NFL History, started missing kicks and become unreliable?

They got the best Kicker in the league. The guy who who craps out SB victories with his kicks.

Brown has been good for us...competition never hurt anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Yes, Brown missed crucial FG goals for last two games which made me really sick. However, he has been reliable in the past and to bring in FA right now to tryout is not going to help Brown's confidence level at all. I would assume our FO will take a hard look after this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
What did the Colts do when Vanderjagt, the most acurate kicker in NFL History, started missing kicks and become unreliable?

They got the best Kicker in the league. The guy who who craps out SB victories with his kicks.

Brown has been good for us...competition never hurt anyone.
Brown has been good for us the past two seasons, but prior to that, was just about the worst kicker in the NFL (75% as a Texan from '02-'06). He has a career percentage of 77.8%, which ranks him in the bottom 25% of kickers in the NFL. The kickers that have similar numbers to him pretty much kick for miserable teams as well. Only a few of them have as much time in the NFL as Brown with such bad numbers.

Most kickers who have done what Brown has done get fired. This season, we have the worst kicker in the NFL. Over his Texans career, our kicker has been in the bottom 25% of the NFL. If he played QB, he'd be the equivalent of Shaun Hill or something.

Last edited by eriadoc; 11-24-2009 at 10:22 PM.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #20
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

^^All apart of making your team better. Who would have thought that we would have needed an uprade at the kicker position at the start of the season? We've been upgrading all over since Carr left. I like, but Kubiak is still doing some weird stuff.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read