Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-24-2009   #1
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Brown the featured back??

Why was C. Brown toting the rock for a majority of the rushing touches last night?? Where the hell was Moats? Why not use a Moats/Slaton combination?
I'm not saying that would have made use win the game but i'll never understand why Kubiak does what he does.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #2
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Brown the featured back??

Man Chris Brown is garbage i don't know why the texans have this thing for a guy how has been bust i just don't get it.
Old 11-24-2009   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Chris Brown toting the rock wasn't the biggest problem in the run game. He didn't have a bad game... I know what the stats say, a 3.3 avg, but check the play by play.

We should have ran the ball more.

Together Slaton & Brown only had 16 rush attempts combined.

80% of our offense was through the air.

We played like we were down 21 points or something.
Old 11-24-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Chris Brown toting the rock wasn't the biggest problem in the run game. He didn't have a bad game... I know what the stats say, a 3.3 avg, but check the play by play.

We should have ran the ball more.

Together Slaton & Brown only had 16 rush attempts combined.

80% of our offense was through the air.

We played like we were down 21 points or something.
We aren't a good running team. OUr O line is a horrible run blocking team, and we're already at a disadvantage in the running game when our HC puts our worst RB in there to play most of the game.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #5
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Which is why Kubiak's ass is soon to be out.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #6
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 76006 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG! I kept screaming at my TV last night......"Why the F-_K is Brown in the game!?!"

No really....

I know that he was not the reason we lost or anything and our run game sucks, but even IF he finds a lane, he's slow and will get caught. Should have taken our chances with Slaton or Moats.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it's doubtful, but I hope one of the fairy's we have for reporters can get to the bottom of this during the PC today. Why did Brown receive the bulk of the carries? Why did we suit up 4 RBs when we only played 1 1/2 of them.
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Brown was the feature back because someone can't admit that they were wrong to bring him in. So they gotta keep jamming him down our throats.

By "someone" I mean some combination of Kubiak and Alex Gibbs. My guess is that Gibbs has been jumping up and down screaming for Brown to get in the game.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX
I know that he was not the reason we lost or anything and our run game sucks, but even IF he finds a lane, he's slow and will get caught. Should have taken our chances with Slaton or Moats.
Not getting first downs was a big part of losing the game. Giving most of the carries to the short yardage back and keeping the ball out of the hands of the back who is a better runner/far better pass catcher was a big part of not getting first downs.

It mattered.
Old 11-24-2009   #10
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
We aren't a good running team. OUr O line is a horrible run blocking team, and we're already at a disadvantage in the running game when our HC puts our worst RB in there to play most of the game.
Last night we had some pretty good runs tho. Probably the best all year aside from the game against Roflalo, so it's puzzling why we ran so little. Surprisingly, I must agree with TK here.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

When we were all fussing about Slaton vs. Moats just a few weeks back I wanted Moats to start because he was a dependable surrogate for Slaton and because I thought that Slaton needed the time off to get his head right. I never thought Moats was better than Slaton and didn't think Chris Brown even factored into the conversation. Frankly I don't know why he's on the team at this point.

We really have no choice at the juncture but to play Slaton and to hope he can get back on track.

Our offense really boils down to AJ, Owen Daniels, and Steve Slaton. When all three are firing on all cylinders then we're great. each of them creates opportunities for the others and for other players like Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, and Vonta Leach. We lost Slaton early on to this funk he's in and had to more or less abandon the idea of running regularly. Our offense suffered but we've got enough talent to still be productive. We became a pass-happy team and could still do some damage.

Take Owen Daniels away though and now we're missing two out of three legs. We need Slaton to come back now to his 2008 form. We can't do this with AJ, Dreeson/Casey, and Chris Brown. It doesn't work anymore. Brown isn't a credible threat. Dreeson and Casey are easy to keep under control.

Steve Slaton, we need you to step back up and bring your "A" game with you. We aren't going to find another truly dangerous running back anywhere else.

When Owen Daniels went down we essentially are back to where we were in 2006. We've got AJ and a bunch of guys who don't scare anybody. Jacoby is scary but without credible threats in the running game and without a dangerous TE like Owen Daniels to keep people honest our wideouts can be more or less taken away. AJ can't do it alone. He's great but nobody can do it alone.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Chris Brown was the feature back because someone can't admit that they were wrong to bring him in. So they gotta keep jamming him down our throats.

By "someone" I mean some combination of Kubiak and Alex Gibbs. My guess is that Gibbs has been jumping up and down screaming for Brown to get in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
When we were all fussing about Slaton vs. Moats just a few weeks back I wanted Moats to start because he was a dependable surrogate for Slaton and because I thought that Slaton needed the time off to get his head right. I never thought Moats was better than Slaton and didn't think Chris Brown even factored into the conversation. Frankly I don't know why he's on the team at this point.
Just a couple of obvious examples but it took 4 years and 60 mil guaranteed in TWO contracts to figure out Carr couldn't play. Last year they watched Brandon Harrison play awful football all year long and then they projected him as a starter in '09, so it took two friggin' years to figure out he couldn't play in the league. I figure it will take every bit of 3 years to figure out that Brown is just Jon Wells/Stacey Mack at this stage of his career. You have teams in the fast lane of the NFL and then you have the Texans putting down the feeder road...happy, and shiny.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #13
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown looks like a three toed sloth from the hand off till he gets to the LOS. Maybe it's because he's 6'3". I've seen Matt Turk scramble from a bad snap and look like a KR compared to Brown.
Old 11-24-2009   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Brown looks like a three toed sloth from the hand off till he gets to the LOS. Maybe it's because he's 6'3". I've seen Matt Turk scramble from a bad snap and look like a KR compared to Brown.
True but you have to take into account thatt Turk is scared to death when that happens. I'll never forget the look on his face the first time I saw him take off with a bad snap. I couldn't stop laughing. Fear will make a man faster than he might normally be.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If you can run Chris Brown you can run Arian Foster. I'm just saying.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Just a couple of obvious examples but it took 4 years and 60 mil guaranteed in TWO contracts to figure out Carr couldn't play. Last year they watched Brandon Harrison play awful football all year long and then they projected him as a starter in '09, so it took two friggin' years to figure out he couldn't play in the league. I figure it will take every bit of 3 years to figure out that Brown is just Jon Wells/Stacey Mack at this stage of his career. You have teams in the fast lane of the NFL and then you have the Texans putting down the feeder road...happy, and shiny.
I obviously agree with you since I've been banging the Steve Slaton drum for a while now, but I think we'll see more of Chris Brown. Apparently Kubiak is impressed with him, and his start was the result of bye week self-study. I applaud the self-study; I'm less sanguine about the conclusion reached.

Quote:
Well, we went back and studied ourselves,” Kubiak said about the coaches self-scouting during the open date. “The times that we gave Chris opportunities in our offense, we were very impressed with what he had done. We played very clean football when he was in there, which we did last night.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6738258.html
Old 11-26-2009   #17
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6739907.html

I think I want to cry now.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd really like to see what Arian Foster can do. We already know what Chris Brown CAN'T do. And what happened to Moats?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I obviously agree with you since I've been banging the Steve Slaton drum for a while now, but I think we'll see more of Chris Brown. Apparently Kubiak is impressed with him, and his start was the result of bye week self-study. I applaud the self-study; I'm less sanguine about the conclusion reached.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6738258.html
I thought this before the play Chris Brown stuff this week, but the single biggest weakness in the Texans is their self-scouting. Smithiak does a decent job in the draft and finding spare part players, but just miss things that fans and the so-called experts see when evaluating the team. Some of these misses are not exactly covered up either.

BTW, besides the "obvious" with Chris Brown is that when he is playing the Texans lose the threat of a potenital big play. With Daniels out and Slaton on the side lines there is only one big play guy in the line-up, so the Texans are forced into the 12 play drive mode. usually in the NFL you get only one or two of those in a game which leads to 17 point games where you depending on your kicker. The NFL is a league of explosive plays and when a team can't make those they won't win in this league.
Old 11-26-2009   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I thought this before the play Chris Brown stuff this week, but the single biggest weakness in the Texans is their self-scouting. Smithiak does a decent job in the draft and finding spare part players, but just miss things that fans and the so-called experts see when evaluating the team. Some of these misses are not exactly covered up either.

BTW, besides the "obvious" with Chris Brown is that when he is playing the Texans lose the threat of a potenital big play. With Daniels out and Slaton on the side lines there is only one big play guy in the line-up, so the Texans are forced into the 12 play drive mode. usually in the NFL you get only one or two of those in a game which leads to 17 point games where you depending on your kicker. The NFL is a league of explosive plays and when a team can't make those they won't win in this league.

I don't want to read too much into what Kubiak said, and I don't know if what was printed was just a snippet of his answer, but he sounded pleased with Brown's performance against the Titans. That is bothersome to me.

You are right about the big play ability. Slaton has run just as well or better as Moats and Brown, and before they benched him they had started working to get him the ball in the open field via the short pass. These passes to Slaton may be where the big plays from the running back position are to be found, given the state of the offensive line. Slaton gives the Texans their best chance to win. He seemed secure with the ball the few time he had it agaisnt the Titans too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read