Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 11-26-2009   #41
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will another Texans game be shown in Austin this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY 4 LIFE View Post
I absolutely comprehend that. The majority of people in the state of Texas and most of Austin feel the same way when rooting for the Cowboys.

It's the Texan fans that dont see the other side. Nobody would blame FOX7 if they showed the Cowboys over the Titans (which they do), because there are more people that would watch the Cowboys game.
Uuuummmmmm..........

FOX has to show NFC teams per the agreement with the NFL. When a visiting team from the AFC plays on an NFC teams turf, the AFC team gets to decide if they do CBS or FOX.

Flip that around for CBS. They have an agreement to carry all AFC games. If the visiting team to and AFC team is from the NFC, the game may be on FOX instead.

So, there is no way that the Possum Squallor Hootinanies from Bumblescum Mountain could solely be on FOX.

Now, if Rudy got traded to an NFC team, then you and the cowboy fans could duke it out.......much to my enjoyment.

Besides, how do you not realize what an absolute joke college ball is? No playoffs? As far as I'm concerned all national championship teams are fraudulent when there are 2 or 3 other undefeated teams that did not even get a chance. That's some fairy assed $hit right there. If any college team thinks they are that good, they ought to be playing "REAL" teams every week and not poof ass games like UT vs. Saint Mary and the Blind U.

That's why the NFL will ALWAYS outrank college both in ratings, amount of fans, money, competition level, you name it.

Here's the cut and dry reason why the Texans should ALWAYS be on TV here in Austin. Austin is a small little piss ant town in the grand scheme of things and a ton of the population here is from Houston. We are in Texas. We are 150 mile from Houston. As an Austinite, you have no claim to pro sports, and you never will....it's as simple as that. So, no one here will tell you what college ball should be on TV. Just enjoy it for the 12 or 13 weeks you get it. Then on Sundays, when the big boys play, go play disc golf, jog around town lake, hit magnolia cafe, ride your 20 speed bike on the feeder of MoPac near William Cannon because you think your Lance Armstrong, stop by half price books for any free hippie propaganda, maybe stop by gas pipe on your way home and leave the NFL teams to us ok?

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing

Last edited by HTown2ATX; 11-26-2009 at 04:30 PM.
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #42
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't know so much about pro teams having more fans than college teams. There are some massive college stadiums and for the most part they are filled to the rafters every game. Michigan I think regularly has attendance close to 100K. Texas is what 80 or 90K per game? Tennessee has a huge stadium too.

College football IMO has the more rabid fan than pro ball does.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #43
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 13450 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your loss
don't cha understand......i got peterson on my team.......gotta root for him....i'm being a fan of the player!

Old 11-26-2009   #44
VY 4 LIFE
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 VY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVPVY 4 LIFE was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I really don't know so much about pro teams having more fans than college teams. There are some massive college stadiums and for the most part they are filled to the rafters every game. Michigan I think regularly has attendance close to 100K. Texas is what 80 or 90K per game? Tennessee has a huge stadium too.

College football IMO has the more rabid fan than pro ball does.
Try 101K.

You can hate on college ball all you want, and that's fine. Fact is that more people in Austin would watch a former star over the NFL team 150 miles away.
VY 4 LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #45
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Try 101K.

You can hate on college ball all you want, and that's fine. Fact is that more people in Austin would watch a former star over the NFL team 150 miles away.
I was the one DEFENDING college ball. Not sure I understand why you quoted my post...
Old 11-26-2009   #46
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's funny that you would say that! You're right though.
Shaft75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #47
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was the one DEFENDING college ball. Not sure I understand why you quoted my post...
Titan fan.

They haven't exactly shown their brain cells this last week. Did you know if it weren't for Tennessee volunteers we might have LOST at the Alamo??
Old 11-26-2009   #48
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Titan fan.

They haven't exactly shown their brain cells this last week. Did you know if it weren't for Tennessee volunteers we might have LOST at the Alamo??
Yea I think you're right.

Now that I've opened the subject it is kind of weird to me how the college stadiums can be so large and they're just jammed while the NFL stadiums are built so much smaller.
Old 11-26-2009   #49
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now that I've opened the subject it is kind of weird to me how the college stadiums can be so large and they're just jammed while the NFL stadiums are built so much smaller.
Not really. Many many many many many many many seats inside the stadium are free for students. They pack 'em in with student sections which can be and usually are quite large. Football's a big draw for generating school spirit.

I think that Reliant Stadium is significantly larger than Darryl Royal Stadium yet Royal holds more than Reliant. That's because Royal and most college stadiums have bench seats. Bench seats also allow stadiums to pack in more people per square inch. NFL stadiums generally have bucket seats to go along with cup holders and whatnot.
Old 11-26-2009   #50
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

NFL has blackout rules. The bigger the stadium, the less likely the game will be sold out and the less likely it will be televised within a 90 mile radius. They don't want them too big.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #51
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Try 101K.

You're having a major disconnect with reality on alot of your arguments here.

On the one I first responded to, I shot down your whole thing about the Hoot's vs. Cowboys as far as ratings. That cannot happen due to the AFC/NFC difference on FOX as a network.

And I guarantee you that if Rudy and his jockstrap moved to an NFC team (therefore FOX where the Cowboys play) there would be ABSOLUTELY NO DEBATE THAT THE COWBOYS WOULD BE ON TV OVER WHICHEVER TEAM RUDY AND HIS BELOVED JOCKSTRSAP WENT TO.

This is because at this point, the smart fans and fans that may have moved here from reality (a.k.a. anywhere outside of Austin) will recognize that college was played yesterday on saturday, now it's time for the big boys to play.

The part I highlighted you should take into consideration too. He is a FORMER star. He's no longer in college and is definitely, at least for now, not a star in the NFL. So, the RUDY Oil Rub and bed set needs to go back in the closet for now.

As far as college fans vs. pro fans, I think that's up for debate personally. Yes, there are a ton of rabid college fans....GOD love 'em all too. But, let's face it, outside of maybe 15 or so schools, there is a huge drop off on loyal, drooling, dedicated fans. Please don't try to sell anyone on all 119 teams in Div 1 NCAA ball are hardcore about teams like North Texas, San Jose State, etc. On the other hand, you have 32 teams, with 32 cities and more than likely therefore 28 states or so that are dedicated to PRO football.

Riddle me this. Every major sport, even college ones and semi pro ones have what one thing in common?

*DING DING DING* PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!

What does college football NOT have??

*DING DING DING * PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!

Did you hear that the BCS actually hired Ari Fleisher (spelling....no I'm not looking it up./..) the former G.W. Bush spokesperson to be their spin miester on why the BCS is good for you comrade? LOL. What a joke. All politics aside....what a friggin' joke. The whole nation hates that damn thing.

The bottom line is that all other cities in the country see "regional" broadcasting of NFL games. This is not something out of the ordinary. I know yall think Austin is special. But, just because Austinites love wearing their berrets while they sip lattes at galaxy cafe blogging on their iBooks planning their next ride on their 20 speed bike in busy traffic in their full "Discovery Team" suit, doesn't mean this city really IS special. As far as CBS goes, now that the scheduling cannot be dictated by some random douche who just wants to "sniff" the old times and put Rudy on TV here, it looks like REALITY will finally hit Austin which I think is the root of alot of this tension.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing

Last edited by HTown2ATX; 11-26-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2009   #52
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
NFL has blackout rules. The bigger the stadium, the less likely the game will be sold out and the less likely it will be televised within a 90 mile radius. They don't want them too big.
Ok..I forgot about that because we just don't have blackouts here. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2009   #53
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Titan fan.

LMFAO!

I forgot about that! Thank GOD for the inbreds.

Old 11-26-2009   #54
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont think you guys can comprehend the fact that some people would rather root for a person over a piece of clothing.

Thank god that most of Austin feel this way.
Most in Austin don't feel that way and are mostly like me. They do root for clothing and it is burnt orange and white. I root for clothing on Saturdays and Sundays. If a player changes to clothing that I don't like I stop rooting for him.

Now if you are against clothing and are turned on by a player without clothing, well then to each his own. Watching a bunch of nude guys running around does nothing for me. I am sure you would have done anything to be at this party ...

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #55
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Titan fan.

LOL, I missed that. Who posted that?

When I was in South Carolina some Tennessee guy was bragging about how Texas was mainly settled by and founded by Tennesseans. He started talking about how brave they were fighting Indians, Mexicans, etc.

I told him that I was aware of all of that as those were my ancestors. My family migrated from Tennessee in the early 1800's and became Texans. However I reminded him since he was still living in Tennessee his ancestors must have been cowards that stayed behind and remained Tennesseans. He wasn't too witty and didn't have a come back for that.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #56
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
LOL, I missed that. Who posted that?

When I was in South Carolina some Tennessee guy was bragging about how Texas was mainly settled by and founded by Tennesseans. He started talking about how brave they were fighting Indians, Mexicans, etc.

I told him that I was aware of all of that as those were my ancestors. My family migrated from Tennessee in the early 1800's and became Texans. However I reminded him since he was still living in Tennessee his ancestors must have been cowards that stayed behind and remained Tennesseans. He wasn't too witty and didn't have a come back for that.
Here you go. Post #135 is the history lesson. Enjoy...lol.
Old 11-26-2009   #57
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Here you go. Post #135 is the history lesson. Enjoy...lol.
LMAO.....again.

Thanks for the re-post.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read