Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2005   #21
LBblitz
Veteran

Acquiring franks would be a major boost to an already powerful offense. DD would continue to flourish and Carr would probably enjoy the reliable goaline hands.
LBblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #22
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default new targeted free agent bubba franks?

the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculated on Thursday that the Texans might have interest in tight end Bubba Franks. The five-year veteran had been deemed a transition player by the Packers, due a one-year salary of $2.095 million if no long-term contract is signed.

In using the transition tag on Franks, the Packers retain the right of first refusal if he signs an offer sheet from another team. The team would have up to seven days to match the offer or allow him to move elsewhere.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

-----------------------------------------

ofcourse its all still speculation at this point but i have to wonder with miller,bruner ,and joppru in the mix is franks worth the pick and the money?

i dont think so.

if carr can get a little better protection this year from the line i believe our te will emerge once again as a threat downfield.

(admin note: sorry bout that...guess i was in a rush to get it out there after reading the article...thanks for the merge.)

Last edited by powda; 03-11-2005 at 10:46 AM.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #23
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

sounds like everyone has given up on bennie joppru...tough break for that kid
Old 03-11-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If they didn't think Joppru was worth keeping they would have released him last year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #25
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its time for Joppru to come in and play like the 2nd round pick he is. Its do or die for BJ.

It will kinda be like having 2 second round picks this year with BJ on the field.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #26
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i have to wonder with miller,bruner ,and joppru in the mix is franks worth the pick and the money?
Do you mean the 2nd round pick we used on Joppru because transition tag does not warrant any picks if we get him...we just have to give an offer and GB has to either match it or not...

I think grabbing Franks would be helpful...especially if we end up freeing up more cap space after the ILB situation...In my mind Miller or Bruener could become expendable if we upgraded with Franks.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #27
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

as a transition tag player dont we lose a 1 if we were to sign franks because thats the round he was drafted in?

perhaps i have that confused with a restricted free agent. please correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-11-2005   #28
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Read this...I don't think we have to give any picks

Link
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #29
powda
Hall of Fame

appreciate it. maybe i didnt have enough coffee this morning yet to know that. didnt realize i was foggy on the matter. thanks.
Old 03-11-2005   #30
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
If they didn't think Joppru was worth keeping they would have released him last year.
When you havn't even seen your 2nd round draft pick play from the get go, you really have no choice but to wade it out.
Old 03-11-2005   #31
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Joppru - Current status: Injured
2004: IR
2003: IR

As a physical speciman he certainly had the skills and talent to be a great TE. Now dont get me wrong - I think he still "Could be" a great TE but the injuries over the last 2 years and the fact he has never played in any of those games for those two years put a whole lot more IF's in his direction at this point. Essentially I feel he has to change some things in his game plan and get himself back to the game of football if he is to ever compete again. The longer time away the harder it will be for him and granted up to this point the staff has shown some faith in him obviously -otherwise he wouldnt still be keeping a roster spot. But honestly if he never plays a down and/or gets injured again in camp or pre-season how long do you think that will continue?Why would they continue to keep him around as a cap hit that never plays. It would be cheaper to cut hi mand put him on the practice squad for that matter as he is not an effective player.

We cant wish Joppru on the field anymore than we could Bosselli when he went thru the same thing. And just like then, there comes a time when the management and coaches have to make a judgement call - IMHO think that time comes this year for Benny. He certainly has the talent, but IMO you dont keep a perrinial injury prone player - it doesnt make good football sense to me nor does it do the guy much good in his long term life. Some guys just cant take the beating at the pro lvl. I hope he can make a believer out of me and a lot of folks by proving he was worth the pick we used on him.

If Benny can get healthy and if he can rehab himself into playing shape and if he can still compete and if he can make it thru a camp and if he can play during the regular season without being injured again he should get a chance to compete for a spot.

But honestly - thats a whole lot of IF's for me.
Old 03-11-2005   #32
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I wouldn't mind if Joppru came back strong AND we signed a FA TE of note (like Franks). Teams are really emphasizing the TE these days.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #33
no81
Rookie

I guess Matt Murphy isn't listed under TE anymore?
no81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #34
NeViKaN
Rookie

Japa who? And who said draft a tight end. Been there done that. I say give Bradford back to GB and we'll just try another player from them. Do we get a trial period on this one? JJ?
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #35
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Matt Murphy - never really seen him play for us except on some kickoff returns and punt returns as a hands guy for the most part - Not really an active TE on the roster since he was signed. Been pretty much a practice squad kind of guy for us and situational player. Certainly has not shown himself thusfar to be the answer for us at TE.
Old 03-12-2005   #36
no81
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
Matt Murphy - never really seen him play for us except on some kickoff returns and punt returns as a hands guy for the most part - Not really an active TE on the roster since he was signed. Been pretty much a practice squad kind of guy for us and situational player. Certainly has not shown himself thusfar to be the answer for us at TE.
Murphy hasn't had a chance to show us what he's got so far. I liked what he did in the preseason. Also, I don't see them Signing B.Franks, they need to figure out what they are going to do with Joppru.
Old 03-28-2005   #37
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default Franks, Gardner

Texans | Could Pursue Franks - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:38:24 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Houston Texans might be interested in Green Bay Packers transition player TE Bubba Franks, who has yet to make any free agent visits this offseason.

Are the Texans interested in Bubba Franks now? I think Bubba would be a great pickup because he is experienced and has played very good for Green Bay.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Rod Gardner? The Texans need a 2nd WR and Rod would be a great WR to play along side AJ.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #38
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Id do my best attempt at a back flip if we signed Bubba Franks
Old 03-28-2005   #39
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also, has anyone heard anything about Rod Gardner? The Texans need a 2nd WR and Rod would be a great WR to play along side AJ.
I'll take Bubba Franks anyday of the week but no thanks I'll pass on Gardner...
Old 03-28-2005   #40
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

50/50 has terrible hands, hence his nickname.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read