Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bubba Franks

Hottoddie

Veteran
Since Green Bay has decided to use the Transition tag on him, we could get him without having to give GB any compensation.

With the Transition Tag, GB retains the right to match any offer he receives.

However, according to Fox Sports.com, GB is approximately $11 million over the projected cap of $85-86 million. Even if they're able to restructure Wahle's contract, they'll still be right at, or above, the projected cap.

If we strike early, like we did with Todd Wade, we might be able to catch GB with their pants down. We might have to pay a little more than we should, but what would a TE like Franks be worth to the Texan's offense?

So, how much are top 10 TE's going for these days? Any thoughts?

GREEN BAY'S CAP STATUS

CAP STATUS: The team is several million dollars over the expected 2005 cap, but some of that has to do with guard Mike Wahle's $11.3 million cap number, which will be addressed before the start of free agency. Once Wahle is dealt with and all the restricted free agents are tendered, the team will be right at the $85 to $86 million cap limit, leaving little room to play in free agency.

MOVING ON: In addition to Wahle, whose free agency is imminent given the $11 million salary written into his contract this year, the club is facing the departure of three other starters: guard Marco Rivera, tight end Bubba Franks and linebacker Hannibal Navies. Wahle and Rivera appear to be an either/or situation. Wahle is younger, more athletic and bound to hit it big on the open market. Rivera is older and more injury prone, but he rarely misses a play, is consistent and was selected to a third straight Pro Bowl this year. Chances are both will be allowed to test the market, and Rivera will eventually be retained. Franks is bound for the open market, but the club will be competitive with its offer once he gets there because it has no replacement. A transition tag is an option if the personnel department doesn't like the free agent and college options. Franks is a vital part of the team's running game and it would have to be assured it could at least replace that part of his game if it let him go. Navies is expendable and probably will only be re-signed at a reasonable price. Linebacker is going to be a priority in the draft, and the club will be looking for a younger, quicker replacement. Of the restricted players, running back Najeh Davenport will receive the most interest, and the club might have to tag him with a first-round tender to make sure he doesn't sign somewhere else. He could be trade bait as well. Run-blocking tackle Kevin Barry could receive interest because if the club assesses him the low tender, he can be signed with no compensation.

ACTION PLAN: New G.M. Ted Thompson is not a big fan of free agency and would just assume save his cap money and then spend it on someone else's players. Don't expect the club to make a big splash in the market. In fact, Thompson probably will be looking to clear cap space for the future and might pass on re-signing some of the players Mike Sherman would have paid big money for in the past. To date, he has made no overtures toward re-signing any of them. His toughest decision will be with Wahle, who is one of the top guards in the league. Thompson comes from the school of thought that you don't pay big money for guards, and so he probably will release Wahle and accept the $11 million cap credit. If Wahle doesn't break the bank in free agency, he could return, but more than likely he'll sign somewhere else. This is a team with a lot of money invested in its starters and very little cap room to maneuver, and it's time to make some tough personnel decisions. In addition to weighing the prospects of keeping Franks, Thompson will probably seek a pay cut from safety Darren Sharper, whose cap number is $8.6 million. If Sharper refuses, he probably will be released, which would create a huge void at the safety position. If Thompson does venture into free agency, it will probably be at the safety, linebacker and guard positions. Anyone he signs would be a low-end free agent able to be a stopgap starter and contributor on special teams. Thompson has to provide new defensive coordinator Jim Bates with some of the players he needs to succeed, but expect the majority of them to come through the draft.

If we offered a 5 year deal at 4 mill/yr and a 5 mill signing bonus, I doubt they could pull together the $$ to over come it. I THINK those $$ are about in line with what a TE of his stature would command. Then if Bennie comes back strong we have a VERY good thing at TE and should be able to move the sticks consistantly down the field by either passing to a WR or TE on 3rd or we should be able to run well. Moving the sticks fits with Dom Capers type of game. Burns clock and moves down the field to get points. Works for me.

Are they counting on Bennie to come in and start over Breuner and Miller, or do they just expect him to play this season but not start?

LikeABoss said:
Are they counting on Bennie to come in and start over Breuner and Miller, or do they just expect him to play this season but not start?

I would expect him to come in and compete for the starting job.

CC said that he wasn't going to make any big FA deals and I think that Bubba Franks counts as that. I have to agree with BuffSoldier and say that he is on the downside of his career, though, he probably has a couple of years left in him.

What do yall think will happen to Bruener? How long is his contract or is it possible that he may be released?

Why on earth would we spend $4 million a year for a TE not named Todd Heap, Tony G., or Antonio Gates?

Bubba Franks is defended by a safety or sometimes a LB in the passing game. There are only a very few TEs that aren't liabilities in the running game but require double coverage or sometimes a CB to cover them. Franks is definitely not one of those and $4 million per year is way too much to spend on him.

dalemurphy said:
Bubba Franks is defended by a safety or sometimes a LB in the passing game. There are only a very few TEs that aren't liabilities in the running game but require double coverage or sometimes a CB to cover them. Franks is definitely not one of those and $4 million per year is way too much to spend on him.
Notice how whenever the Texans get into the red zone, they find a way to crumple up and get a TO or FG.

The strength behind Franks is that he is a red zone TE. If the Texans were to get him for that reason, it wouldn't be too shabby to see Carr-to-Franks called more often that Brown-for-the-FG.

Let's not forget that the Packers are a power running team that also uses 3WR sets that employs receivers similar to ours, and that Favre is the most reckless QB[not that it's bad, but does make for some awesome plays] to have ever graced the NFL, and we really can't tell if Franks is a passing game liability outside of the red zone.

Let's not forget.... Franks is from the U! The Texans need one of those Miami studs. :heh:

gg no re said:
Let's not forget.... Franks is from the U! The Texans need one of those Miami studs. :heh:

Well we've already got one player from the U (AJ), but I'm guessing you meant we need more players from the U.

ya know AJs first year he was really quiet, but last year he showed a little spark in his game, i say him handlin some players after the play was over !!!

ThaShark316 said:
Texans | Could Pursue Franks - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:38:24 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Houston Texans might be interested in Green Bay Packers transition player TE Bubba Franks, who has yet to make any free agent visits this offseason.

hmmmmm... :hmmm:

heres the story...its @ the bottom of the page...

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/mar05/308259.asp

Make it happen Cass :thumbup

Franks - IMO he's a major upgrade over anybody we haev currently on the roster at the TE position.

Miller - great hands - but has been lost in the offense the last 2 years
Bruener - Bruising blocker, but the defense looks for run anytime he steps out
Joppru - IMO-Unless he can start almost every game this year- I cut him

Everyone else thats played limited minutes in the TE role has shown no ability to come in and own the position. Until we sign somebody who does - I think the position is open game for anyone. IMHO cant see the staff standing pat with the TE core past this year. Honestly I think we will see new faces and changes in camp this year and next year at TE unless Joppru, Miller or anybody else can turn into the next Sharpe or Tony G.

Acquiring franks would be a major boost to an already powerful offense. DD would continue to flourish and Carr would probably enjoy the reliable goaline hands.

the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculated on Thursday that the Texans might have interest in tight end Bubba Franks. The five-year veteran had been deemed a transition player by the Packers, due a one-year salary of $2.095 million if no long-term contract is signed.

In using the transition tag on Franks, the Packers retain the right of first refusal if he signs an offer sheet from another team. The team would have up to seven days to match the offer or allow him to move elsewhere.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

-----------------------------------------

ofcourse its all still speculation at this point but i have to wonder with miller,bruner ,and joppru in the mix is franks worth the pick and the money?

i dont think so.

if carr can get a little better protection this year from the line i believe our te will emerge once again as a threat downfield.

(admin note: sorry bout that...guess i was in a rush to get it out there after reading the article...thanks for the merge.)

Its time for Joppru to come in and play like the 2nd round pick he is. Its do or die for BJ.

It will kinda be like having 2 second round picks this year with BJ on the field.

i have to wonder with miller,bruner ,and joppru in the mix is franks worth the pick and the money?

Do you mean the 2nd round pick we used on Joppru because transition tag does not warrant any picks if we get him...we just have to give an offer and GB has to either match it or not...

I think grabbing Franks would be helpful...especially if we end up freeing up more cap space after the ILB situation...In my mind Miller or Bruener could become expendable if we upgraded with Franks.

as a transition tag player dont we lose a 1 if we were to sign franks because thats the round he was drafted in?

perhaps i have that confused with a restricted free agent. please correct me if im wrong.

appreciate it. maybe i didnt have enough coffee this morning yet to know that. didnt realize i was foggy on the matter. thanks.

Vinny said:
If they didn't think Joppru was worth keeping they would have released him last year.
When you havn't even seen your 2nd round draft pick play from the get go, you really have no choice but to wade it out.

Joppru - Current status: Injured
2004: IR
2003: IR

As a physical speciman he certainly had the skills and talent to be a great TE. Now dont get me wrong - I think he still "Could be" a great TE but the injuries over the last 2 years and the fact he has never played in any of those games for those two years put a whole lot more IF's in his direction at this point. Essentially I feel he has to change some things in his game plan and get himself back to the game of football if he is to ever compete again. The longer time away the harder it will be for him and granted up to this point the staff has shown some faith in him obviously -otherwise he wouldnt still be keeping a roster spot. But honestly if he never plays a down and/or gets injured again in camp or pre-season how long do you think that will continue?Why would they continue to keep him around as a cap hit that never plays. It would be cheaper to cut hi mand put him on the practice squad for that matter as he is not an effective player.

We cant wish Joppru on the field anymore than we could Bosselli when he went thru the same thing. And just like then, there comes a time when the management and coaches have to make a judgement call - IMHO think that time comes this year for Benny. He certainly has the talent, but IMO you dont keep a perrinial injury prone player - it doesnt make good football sense to me nor does it do the guy much good in his long term life. Some guys just cant take the beating at the pro lvl. I hope he can make a believer out of me and a lot of folks by proving he was worth the pick we used on him.

If Benny can get healthy and if he can rehab himself into playing shape and if he can still compete and if he can make it thru a camp and if he can play during the regular season without being injured again he should get a chance to compete for a spot.

But honestly - thats a whole lot of IF's for me.

I wouldn't mind if Joppru came back strong AND we signed a FA TE of note (like Franks). Teams are really emphasizing the TE these days.

Japa who? And who said draft a tight end. Been there done that. I say give Bradford back to GB and we'll just try another player from them. Do we get a trial period on this one? JJ? :heh:

Matt Murphy - never really seen him play for us except on some kickoff returns and punt returns as a hands guy for the most part - Not really an active TE on the roster since he was signed. Been pretty much a practice squad kind of guy for us and situational player. Certainly has not shown himself thusfar to be the answer for us at TE.

U4ikrob said:
Matt Murphy - never really seen him play for us except on some kickoff returns and punt returns as a hands guy for the most part - Not really an active TE on the roster since he was signed. Been pretty much a practice squad kind of guy for us and situational player. Certainly has not shown himself thusfar to be the answer for us at TE.

Murphy hasn't had a chance to show us what he's got so far. I liked what he did in the preseason. Also, I don't see them Signing B.Franks, they need to figure out what they are going to do with Joppru. :boxing:

Texans | Could Pursue Franks - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:38:24 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Houston Texans might be interested in Green Bay Packers transition player TE Bubba Franks, who has yet to make any free agent visits this offseason.

Are the Texans interested in Bubba Franks now? I think Bubba would be a great pickup because he is experienced and has played very good for Green Bay.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Rod Gardner? The Texans need a 2nd WR and Rod would be a great WR to play along side AJ.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Rod Gardner? The Texans need a 2nd WR and Rod would be a great WR to play along side AJ.

I'll take Bubba Franks anyday of the week but no thanks I'll pass on Gardner...

Franks would be great in the red zone for us, and I would love to have him...

I say no on Gardner, though...We already have Gaffney and he's very similar to Gardner...

Definately an upgrade over the Breuner Miller Shuffle. not only that it frees us up to have a very threatening 2 TE set with Franks and Miller. Not big on FA but this would be filling a big need, and also providing insurance incase Joppru is a complete loss.

I saw this headline in early march, but have not found any evidence to support the rumor thereafter....

that being said, id love to get franks!!!!!

I don't mind Gardner, I would take him but i wouldn't give him the amount of money he probably wants, but he does come up big sometimes, but he does drop alot to.

I dont take Gardner for any price. He Doesnt get open and when he does he lives up to his nickname. He would prolly add to Carr's Int total and would definately not take away from the doubling of AJ on the other side. Gardner is just an underachieving JJ Stokes Type of player. Big Slow and doesnt physically manhandle corners like he should be able too.

Also all this Rumor Mill for Franks is dated Mar. 10,?!?! If Houston was generally interested in Franks we would have signed him by now. It would be nice but thats nearly 3 weeks old news. Unless there is more recent rumors, you can count on franks being wrapped up somewhere else.

Back