Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-19-2009   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 Quarterbacks

Tier 1- Elite Prospects

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford, 6'4" 223 lbs
I dont care about the shoulder problems. Brees had one too, before New Orleans. Bradford has the best arm (close with Clausen) and he is a proven winner. He will be a pro bowl, franchise QB.

Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen, 6'2" 223 lbs
Clausen is a close second, something that cant believe I just said. Before the season, I was not so high on him as a prospect. He has been phenomenal this season, and will make a team very happy. He is just a little short, but he has a great arm and his decision making is getting better.

Tier 1 1/2- Very Good Prospects

Washington QB Jake Locker, 6'3" 226 lbs
Locker has been the most improved of these QB's in the last year. He is making better decisions, despite what the INT numbers say. He should still stay a year, learn a bit more, but he wont. He has a good arm, not elite, but better mobility than the top 2 guys.

Central Michigan QB Dan LeFevour, 6'3" 240 lbs
Underrated QB, excellent mobility and great accuracy. He has arm strength comparable to Colt McCoy, with an edge on mobility and accuracy. He would be perfect for the Texans offense, unfortunately it wont happen.

Texas QB Colt McCoy, 6'2" 212 lbs
McCoy is a very good college QB. I worry that he benefits from the system though. He has iffy arm strength, but pretty good accuracy and good mobility. 2nd round pick.

Florida QB Tim Tebow, 6'3" 245 lbs
Ah, Tebow. I dont think I need to say much, he has been the most talked about college athlete the last 3 years. His mechanics need work.

Tier 2- Good Prospects

Ole Miss QB Jevan Snead, 6'3" 215
Good arm, but questionably mental make-up. I see him as a 3rd round pick, he just seems to melt down too much. Think a poor man's Jay Cutler (from this season).

Houston QB Case Keenum, 6'2" 210 lbs
A system QB, but he has all the tools. Plus, he just seems like he is a leader. A mid round pick, might start in 2 years.

Tier 3- Solid Prospects

Cincy QB Tony Pike, 6'6" 226 lbs
I had him higher, but it looks like he is a product of the UC system. Tall, but injury prone, I am becoming less and less enamored with him as the season continues.

Florida State QB Christian Ponder, 6'3" 215 lbs
Mobile passer, started off hot but has cooled since. I dont like him before the 4th, but he will probably go in the 3rd because of his potential.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Quarterbacks

I say we take one late round 1. You can never have too many good QB's. And this year is loaded.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I say we take one late round 1. You can never have too many good QB's. And this year is loaded.
Wait, really? This was just because I was bored.
Old 11-19-2009   #4
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I would move Bradford, Tebow and McCoy down and Add Mallet to the 1 1/2 tier. I like Pike also and I would move him up.
Old 11-19-2009   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I would move Bradford, Tebow and McCoy down and Add Mallet to the 1 1/2 tier. I like Pike also and I would move him up.
Damnit, I knew I forgot someone. Mallet, yea, he would be in the 1 1/2. I could see moving Tebow and McCoy down a notch, but I really think Bradford will be the next big QB in the NFL.
Old 11-19-2009   #6
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Damnit, I knew I forgot someone. Mallet, yea, he would be in the 1 1/2. I could see moving Tebow and McCoy down a notch, but I really think Bradford will be the next big QB in the NFL.
He doesnt have a great arm, but he is damn accurate. I still think Clausen is the best overall
Old 11-20-2009   #7
was385
Rookie

I don't even know that I'd include Tebow in this. I think anyone who expects him to be a starting QB in the NFL will be sorely disappointed. IMO his best fit is going to be as a gimmick guy in someone's wildcat package but even then, I don't know if he's strong enough or fast enough to be all that effective in the NFL.

He's a great college player but he's a guy that really feeds on incredibly easy throws to his wide open playmakers. The fact is that even with the best receiving corps, you're not going to get wide open looks like the playmakers around him create and we all know it's a hell of a lot harder for a QB to run against the speed and strength of NFL defenders.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2009   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wait, really? This was just because I was bored.
Lol. Actually as long as Matt is on the roster we will never draft a QB higher than round 6. It would just be nice to plan for the future, and have an insurance policy on Matt.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

in no way do i see Tebow being an NFL quarterback. move him to H-back, or RB, or TE, or something. his mechanics, accuracy, arm strength, complete inexperience in a traditional offense...basically nothing about him says "NFL quarterback." he's going to get the Vince Young treatment and people will assume because he's a "winner" at the college level, that it'll translate at all to the NFL. oh well.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Florida QB Tim Tebow, 6'3" 245 lbs
Ah, Tebow. I dont think I need to say much, he has been the most talked about college athlete the last 3 years. His mechanics need work.
After watching VY add to the offense by his 3 and short ability, I am beginning to wonder if Tebow, or Jake Locker of Washington could be used as real QBs in the NFL. Mike Heimerdinger showed how the WCO can be tailored to a QB who runs.

You have to ask the guy to manage the game and not turn over the ball, and Tebow has been able to do that throughout his career. His mechanics will need to be altered, he has a big windup and he drops the ball to his waste. But 245 lbs QBs don't grow on trees.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
But 245 lbs QBs don't grow on trees.
unfortunately a QB's weight may be the most irrelevant attribution to his abilities.
Old 11-25-2009   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
unfortunately a QB's weight may be the most irrelevant attribution to his abilities.
Nuh uh. JaMarcus Russell is allsome.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

two of the best QB's in the league face off next Monday night. Drew Brees and Tom Brady. real physical specimens comin' out of college, those two!

although size is probably Tebow's biggest advantage, because if he were smaller, he'd have NO shot at being in the NFL. but thanks to his size, he may be able to switch to h-back, TE, linebacker, RB...whatever. at the most he can have some Pat White-type role in a creative offense like Miami's where they bring in a different QB once a drive or so and try to change things up.
Old 11-25-2009   #14
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I'd take Jake Locker and Colt McCoy over Jimmy Clausen any day.
SteveSlaton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
I disagree, one of the advantages David Garrard has is his size/speed. He can run through arm tackles better than a lite QB can.

Tebow is that kind of runner but with a little more quickness.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I disagree, one of the advantages David Garrard has is his size/speed. He can run through arm tackles better than a lite QB can.

Tebow is that kind of runner but with a little more quickness.
How often does Garrard run compared to how much he passes?

I'll take a guy like Brees or Brady who can't break tackles over a guy like Garrard or Culpepper.
Old 11-25-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
I'd take Jake Locker and Colt McCoy over Jimmy Clausen any day.
I would take Bradford over any of them.
Old 11-25-2009   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would take Bradford over any of them.
ditto
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #19
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see Tim Hiller, quarterback from Western Michigan, on your list so I decided to mention him. He's 6'5" 235-lbs and has a strong arm and compares to Matt Schaub in certain aspects. He dissappointed me yesterday when WMU played Ball State but overall he's had a decent career at WMU. He would be a good project QB for a team wanting to develop a QB for the future.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #20
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would suggest you watch the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec 22 to see the Oregon State QB Sean Canfield. 3,103 yds, 21 TD's, 6 INT's, 148 rating : 6'-4", 214 lbs, left handed passer known for never making the wrong decision in the red zone. Pocket passer who finds his open receiver and can hit him in stride. Smart player who occasionally will call his own plays - over riding the coach.

I saw him for the first time in the Oregon vs Oregon State game a few weeks ago and was really impressed. A senior, he'll probably rise from his mid-round ranking if he impresses during the post season games. Keep an eye on him, if he's still available in the 4th round.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read