Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-23-2005   #1
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up Packers designate Bubba Franks as their transition player

Click the linky

Moving to limit the mobility of one of the franchise's top young performers, the Green Bay Packers on Monday evening designated five-year veteran tight end Bubba Franks a "transition" player, ESPN.com has confirmed.

As a transition player, Franks, 27, can negotiate with other clubs. If a team signs Franks to an offer sheet, Green Bay would have seven days either to match the offer or to allow its starting tight end to move on. Matching the offer sheet would compel the Packers to accept the terms of that proposal. If they opted not to match, the Packers would receive no compensation from the club that signed Franks.

I think we should make an offer, it wouldn't hurt and if the Packers decide not to match we get a complete TE without having to give up any players or draft picks
Old 02-23-2005   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

It couldnt hurt, the worst that could happen is we could end up with a Pro-Bowl "Dual Threat" tight end.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
I think we should make an offer, it wouldn't hurt and if the Packers decide not to match we get a complete TE without having to give up any players or draft picks...
Considering the lack of depth at TE in this draft, I agree. But, I'd wait & see if the Colts release Marcus Pollard before I signed Franks to an offer sheet. I think Pollard would be an easier sign and is pretty close to Franks in ability.
Old 02-23-2005   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Aren't the Texans on record as saying they want Joppru to come in this year and play? Let me rephrase that....do you think they would even think of acquiring a TE? I know he's been injured all along but I thought they said he was ready to play.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #5
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Aren't the Texans on record as saying they want Joppru to come in this year and play? Let me rephrase that....do you think they would even think of acquiring a TE? I know he's been injured all along but I thought they said he was ready to play.
I don't know man, I was just making a suggestion geesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
But, I'd wait & see if the Colts release Marcus Pollard before I signed Franks to an offer sheet. I think Pollard would be an easier sign and is pretty close to Franks in ability.
Is Marcus Pollard a good blocker? I always thought he was just a good receiving TE
Old 02-23-2005   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
Is Marcus Pollard a good blocker? I always thought he was just a good receiving TE
He's a decent blocker, and a pretty good receiver. Without a doubt he's a better blocker than Miller, and a better receiver than Bruener.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=LikeABoss]I don't know man, I was just making a suggestion geesh

Why so sensitive? I just said I didn't think they'd go for a TE since they had Joppru and I think they said he was ready to play. If he's not that was a total waste of a 2nd round pick.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2005   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Personally, I think Joppru will be ready to play and contribute next season. However, this shouldn't stop us from getting a decent, versatile TE for those 2 TE sets they'd like to be running.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Personally, I think Joppru will be ready to play and contribute next season. However, this shouldn't stop us from getting a decent, versatile TE for those 2 TE sets they'd like to be running.

I agree. A reasonably priced FA or a guy drafted around the 3rd round would be good IF IF IF Joppru is ready to play. If not, we need to up the ante with a more expensive FA or higher draft pick. Not sure we should use our 1st rounder (kind of like the idea of a CB there), but it will need to be a higher pick.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read