Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2009   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rush Defense Analysis

First 3 games:

rushing attempts: 99
rushing yards: 615
yards per rush: 6.21
20 yard or longer runs: 7*
*2 long runs in the first game, 2 in the second, 3 in the third. 1 of those long runs was a WR reverse and another was a QB scramble.

Last 6 games:

rushing attempts: 111
rushing yards: 363
yards per rush: 3.27
20 yard or longer runs: 2*
*both long runs came by way of WR reverses of 20 and 29 yards.

I still read articles/scouting reports talking about how we can be gashed and how we are giving up 4.7 yards per carry but if ever numbers like those were not accurate descriptions of a defense this is it(FO and ESPN I'm looking at you). This tiny little sample doesn't even take into account all the big screen plays we were giving up early.

With regard to the Chris Johnson thread: Are we going to completely shut him down? No, he is probably the best back in the league at the moment. Heck, he might even rip off a few big ones. Is he going to go off for 284 total yards again? There is just no way in hell. This is really looking like a great match up that is going to be a lot of fun to watch.
Old 11-18-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rush Defense Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
First 3 games:

rushing attempts: 99
rushing yards: 615
yards per rush: 6.21
20 yard or longer runs: 7*
*2 long runs in the first game, 2 in the second, 3 in the third. 1 of those long runs was a WR reverse and another was a QB scramble.

Last 6 games:

rushing attempts: 111
rushing yards: 363
yards per rush: 3.27
20 yard or longer runs: 2*
*both long runs came by way of WR reverses of 20 and 29 yards.

I still read articles/scouting reports talking about how we can be gashed and how we are giving up 4.7 yards per carry but if ever numbers like those were not accurate descriptions of a defense this is it(FO and ESPN I'm looking at you). This tiny little sample doesn't even take into account all the big screen plays we were giving up early.

With regard to the Chris Johnson thread: Are we going to completely shut him down? No, he is probably the best back in the league at the moment. Heck, he might even rip off a few big ones. Is he going to go off for 284 total yards again? There is just no way in hell. This is really looking like a great match up that is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

You gotta listen to the Bernard Pollard interview on 1560. He convinced the guys that he'll get less than 54 yards. .... I may be in love?!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You gotta listen to the Bernard Pollard interview on 1560. He convinced the guys that he'll get less than 54 yards. .... I may be in love?!
Just listened, almost too much excitement to take on a Wednesday. Get here already Monday.
Old 11-18-2009   #4
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love that he says 54 yards not 50 or 60. BP must have majored in mathmatics in college!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I love that he says 54 yards not 50 or 60. BP must have majored in mathmatics in college!!!!!!
BP didn't say 54, the guy on the radio had a bet.

BP was pretty shocked at limiting him to 54 actually
Old 11-18-2009   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Just listened, almost too much excitement to take on a Wednesday. Get here already Monday.
I know I'm going to sound like a Debbie downer, but IMO, talk is cheap. Show me on the field. I no longer want to hear it, I want to see it.

Sure, it makes for good interviews, but I'll wait until after the game to feel giddy.
Old 11-18-2009   #7
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I know I'm going to sound like a Debbie downer, but IMO, talk is cheap. Show me on the field. I no longer want to hear it, I want to see it.

Sure, it makes for good interviews, but I'll wait until after the game to feel giddy.
It is good to see that we have a winning mentality though. You are right though, we have to turn this into results.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2009   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Go search for a thread I created a while back called:

"If Bernard Pollard plays as Good as He Talks, He's Gonna Be A Stud Safety."

This dude has talked this way since he GOT here. I have YET to see
anything on the field to the contrary. Right now, he's as credible as
Muhammad Ali. He talks a big game, but MAN does he back it up!!!
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #9
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

It's funny but many people on this board were commenting after first 3 games, that if we took out the long runs, the yards per game would be 75 ypg. In the last 6 games, we have taken away the long runs, and lo and behold the average ypc and ypg have plummeted. I think Pollard has helped, but the defense has also figured out how to play cohesively. My feeling is that if our d plays like it has for the last 6 games, we will look a lot better in this game against the Titans than we did against them the last time.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #10
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else get in trouble today for knocking the piss out of someone? Just me?
Old 11-19-2009   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Anyone else get in trouble today for knocking the piss out of someone? Just me?
Curious, what was the size of the bail ?
Old 11-19-2009   #12
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Curious, what was the size of the bail ?
I just had to let them knock the piss out of me after.
Old 11-19-2009   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough
Old 11-19-2009   #14
Ckw

Quote:
I hope it wasn't a "drop the soap" kind of thing...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read