Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2009   #1
Kal
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Kal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Review of the Texans Offense to Date - Article

http://www.profootballfocus.com/arti...les&arc=&id=66

Been a while since I've had time to post on this forum, because I've been working on stuff like this for Pro Football Focus. I got together with our analysts and we talked about the Texans Offense in the first of a two parter (part two is on the defense and will be up tomorrow)

Anyways, feel free to criticise away but if nothing else it can kill a few moments as we wait for the big Monday night game.

(Hopefully this isn't a shameless plug but if it is seen that way, apologies and I'll understand it being taken down)
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Review of the Texans Offense to Date - Article

It's an accurate evaluation but pretty much what has already been said. Sorry, but I do not think it brought anything new or interesting to the front. Rather like a copy & paste of another article. If you were just posting here with your thoughts, I'd be more lenient.
Old 11-17-2009   #3
50boys
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It's an accurate evaluation but pretty much what has already been said. Sorry, but I do not think it brought anything new or interesting to the front. Rather like a copy & paste of another article. If you were just posting here with your thoughts, I'd be more lenient.

Well I thought it was a good read.
50boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tough crowd. I think he's saying that he wrote the article. That's bringing something to the table with his thoughts.
Old 11-17-2009   #5
Kal
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Kal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a fair enough assessment, but then we can't really make stuff up just to be more interesting :p

Perhaps it may be useful if I use this thread to post links to other articles regarding teams the Texans fanbase won't have seen so much of? I'll have the Jags one done before the end of the week and that may be more interesting.
Old 11-17-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read, although a few points:
Myers got manhandled by Kris Jenkins against the Jets. That was the worst performance for a center Ive seen in a long time.

A lot of D Browns pass protection woes have come from Schaub holding the ball for too long. Its easy to see he's given up a lot of QB pressures, but in many of those instances, its on Schaub and not Brown. Theres no way you can block a guy like Freeney for 10 seconds repeatedly
Old 11-17-2009   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I would like to add, even though it was partially implied in the article.

The running game bogging down was also due to the fact that the receivers did not do a good job run blocking either.

To recap and compare to last year:
- The guards do not block as well.
- The C does not block as well.
- The tackles block better.
- The TEs do not block as well.
- The receivers about the same (they have always been below average in run blocking as compared with other teams).

The RBs do not perform as well as last year, due to fumbling.
(And Slaton is not as explosive as he was last year).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2009   #8
Kal
Rookie

We've got Schaub down as responsible for 4 sacks this year so I would agree to an extent he needs to take some blame for it, but Brown has (from my viewing) struggled in recent weeks after a strong start.

I didn't think Myers did too badly against Jenkins (outside of getting slapped upside the head on one play) on for the most part neutralised him. Jenkins was an interesting player in games this year. The commentators are really quick to jump on anything good he does so it makes it seem, at times, like he is playing better than he actually is. I think the Texans game was one of those from him because outside of a few flashes he didn't do much (offered some containment in the run game, but blanked the stat sheet other than a hit)
Old 11-17-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
We've got Schaub down as responsible for 4 sacks this year so I would agree to an extent he needs to take some blame for it, but Brown has (from my viewing) struggled in recent weeks after a strong start.

I didn't think Myers did too badly against Jenkins (outside of getting slapped upside the head on one play) on for the most part neutralised him. Jenkins was an interesting player in games this year. The commentators are really quick to jump on anything good he does so it makes it seem, at times, like he is playing better than he actually is. I think the Texans game was one of those from him because outside of a few flashes he didn't do much (offered some containment in the run game, but blanked the stat sheet other than a hit)
It's good to learn about evaluations from a non-Texans fan!
Old 11-17-2009   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Interesting, and thanks for the clarification. A lot of times fans have a memory of individual plays, and weeks later, apply it to the whole game.
Old 11-17-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

It's not surprising considering the competition across the way.

The Bengals have Odom and the emerging Michael Johnson.
The Niners have Justin Smith (RDE) and Haralson (ROLB) in a 3-4
The Bills have Schobel.
And of course, the Colts have Freeney.

All these guys are having good year.
Old 11-17-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a fair enough assessment, but then we can't really make stuff up just to be more interesting :p

Perhaps it may be useful if I use this thread to post links to other articles regarding teams the Texans fanbase won't have seen so much of? I'll have the Jags one done before the end of the week and that may be more interesting.
Kal, I am responding to your post rather than the two others as I want to say I am not slamming you. When someone such as Texanschick or AJ(Alan Burge @ examiner.com) or others have active blogs or write for a dotcom like Houston profootball or the Chronicle, I usually take their opinions a bit more to heart than someone who posts frequently on this MB (such as myself). No reason for it that is just me. When you say that AJ is having a good year and give his stats, my thought is so what? I can get that from the fish wrap. Put more of your own thoughts or personality into it. Saying the Dline was an issue but is now doing better against the run is ok but so what? Tell me that you think so and so in free agency may be looked at or Purdue DT Mike Neal could be helpful in the draft and why.

You want me to go to your link then give me a reason to go back again. Steve
Old 11-17-2009   #13
Kal
Rookie

Thats perfectly understandable. I guess we're offering something (in terms of Texans analysis) that isn't that much use to you. The Texans isn't a great eaxmple because they're a pretty transparent team to analyse, but maybe when you're looking at other teams the analysis will be more informative.

Where we, as a site, are coming from is that we analyse performance so getting into being hugely predictive is becoming more subjective. Now with our articles we can get into that, but that's maybe something to develop into whereas right now I guess its more analytical if that makes sense.

Still, thanks for the feedback, it will help me try and make future pieces more diverse
Old 11-17-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
One thing I would like to add, even though it was partially implied in the article.

The running game bogging down was also due to the fact that the receivers did not do a good job run blocking either.

To recap and compare to last year:
- The guards do not block as well.
- The C does not block as well.
- The tackles block better.
- The TEs do not block as well.
- The receivers about the same (they have always been below average in run blocking as compared with other teams).
The RBs do not perform as well as last year, due to fumbling.
(And Slaton is not as explosive as he was last year).
Our Recievers are some of the better run blocking guys around. Also, huge difference in Slatons explosiveness.
Old 11-17-2009   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Much appreciated, thank you!
Old 11-17-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Excellent info.
Old 11-17-2009   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Our Recievers are some of the better run blocking guys around. Also, huge difference in Slatons explosiveness.
Alright Bull, let me rephrase this!

We run the ZBS and put our receivers in some tough spots, taking on a DE or an OLB on the cut back run.

That hurts them as far as run blocking goes around the LOS.

(Upfield, yes, they do a much better job.)

So why do they keep Walter and Anderson around the LOS?
There's a method to the madness.
They serve as pawns to block in the running game, but they can cut block an unsuspecting DE or OLB, giving them something to think about the next time around.

But most of all, they can slip out and make a good catch; it's part of the chess match.

It's just too bad that in the running game, they look weak in blocking around the LOS!
Old 11-18-2009   #18
Kal
Rookie

I couldn't find an edit option so figured I'd do a little bump for the Defense and Special Teams Review
Old 11-18-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I couldn't find an edit option so figured I'd do a little bump for the Defense and Special Teams Review
Based strictly on numbers and end results, I would agree pretty much with the assessments.

But there are also circumstances that need to be considered, let's say, to explain why Dunta "seems" to be "terrible" in run support.

1. If he was to drop back deep into a 3-deep zone, it would take him longer to get back to support the run. That would make it harder for a DB to get to the runner. On the other hand, Reeves drops into a short zone and is closer to the LOS to support the run.

2. The receiver's on Dunta would concentrate solely on blocking him whereas the receiver on Reeves could run a deep route, trying to lure away both Reeves and Pollard. There are times that Reeves would simply pass off the receiver to Pollard and therefore was in better position to support the run.

3. There are also times when Reeves couldn't get there until after the LB or safety has already make the tackle (he does not even have a chance to miss the tackle. On the other hand, Dunta gets off of the block to get there and slow down the runner (even if he misses the tackle) to allow another defender to finish he job.

Things like that...
Old 11-18-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Alright Bull, let me rephrase this!

We run the ZBS and put our receivers in some tough spots, taking on a DE or an OLB on the cut back run.

That hurts them as far as run blocking goes around the LOS.

(Upfield, yes, they do a much better job.)

So why do they keep Walter and Anderson around the LOS?
There's a method to the madness.
They serve as pawns to block in the running game, but they can cut block an unsuspecting DE or OLB, giving them something to think about the next time around.

But most of all, they can slip out and make a good catch; it's part of the chess match.

It's just too bad that in the running game, they look weak in blocking around the LOS!
David Anderson on a DE NEVER makes any sense to me. I get you now. Down field and on DB's, they are very good run blockers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read