Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2009   #1
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 54 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre's touchdown production?

What is keeping johnsons touchdown production so low? he only has 4 tds right now and i see other recievers like miles austin, randy moss, reggie wayne, vincent jackson, brandon marshall and they have 7 or more each. I personally think Andre is better all around reciever than those guys but yet has the same amount of touchdowns as rookies like austin collie, jermey maclin, and peircy harvin? Why does andre disapear in the redzone, or what is keeping him from getting those td's. Is it Schaub? i am clueless right now.
Old 11-16-2009   #2
qman_tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 80 qman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respectedqman_tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre's touchdown production?

I dont know what to tell about you the TD's. Lesser big play opportunities? What I know is he will be the leading receiver again after the Monday night game againist the Titans.
qman_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think alot of it has to do with the production that OD was giving us when he was on the field. When we get into to the redzone we saw alot of throws to OD in the middle of the field that would take us to the 1 yard line. I think some of it has to do with Schaub but it's not a bad thing. Look at how Schaub distributes the ball around. He doesn't just target 1 or 2 receivers.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

We never seem to target AJ inside the 5 yard line. The 2 point conversion against Buffalo is the only time I can remember us throwing the ball to him inside the 5 this season. It seems like we use him as more of a decoy when we get close.
Old 11-16-2009   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

In the Bears game at the end of last season I got really excited because we actually threw him the ball in the redzone and he got 2 tds. Unfortunately, we've gotten away from that for whatever reason. AJ could be the most effective redzone WR in the NFL with his sheer size but we decide for whatever reason not to run a fade route and let him get it!!!

I think a previous poster was onto something about OD. When we do pass in the redzone its usually to the TEs. Kubiak has probably coached Schaub to not force things IN THE REDZONE (the only time Schaub will actually listen it appears) and with a shorter field its easier to put 2 guys on AJ. I hope we take more chances with AJ in short yardage. It was ridiculous that he was on the bench at the 1 yard line in the Cardinals game...there's no reason to have your best player on the bench with the game on the line!!!
Old 11-16-2009   #6
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure we will see a little more of him in the red zone now that OD is done for the year. TDs are just stats though, I don't really care who gets them as long as we are being efficient in the red zone as a team.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

last week against Indy or the week before AJ ran a route from the right side of the field toward the middle. Both the CB and the S followed him. Moats ran from the backfield to the right corner of the endzone all alone. AJ completely drew the coverage away from Moats and left him wide open.

We see this a lot with AJ in the red zone. Other teams take him away, opening up other people.

We're scoring 24 points a game. Who cares who scores them
Old 11-16-2009   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I'm sure we will see a little more of him in the red zone now that OD is done for the year. TDs are just stats though, I don't really care who gets them as long as we are being efficient in the red zone as a team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We're scoring 24 points a game. Who cares who scores them
Not to pick on you, but people who hold that opinion now will be arguing vehemently for AJ 10+ years from now when his HOF candidacy comes up. I get what you're saying, and from a team standpoint, I agree. But sometimes a program can use a few accolades along the way. AJ is our first legitimate HOF candidate, and the TD argument will be used against him. And if the Texans never win a SB during his career, the TD production may well be the one thing that keeps him out for a while.
Old 11-16-2009   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not to pick on you, but people who hold that opinion now will be arguing vehemently for AJ 10+ years from now when his HOF candidacy comes up. I get what you're saying, and from a team standpoint, I agree. But sometimes a program can use a few accolades along the way. AJ is our first legitimate HOF candidate, and the TD argument will be used against him. And if the Texans never win a SB during his career, the TD production may well be the one thing that keeps him out for a while.
Great point, and obviously we would all love to see that happen, but I don't think we should be forcing the ball to him in the red zone just for that reason.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #10
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I doubt they would go by stats alone...besides, his receptions and yards are something thats also quite eye popping not to mention he has probably been the best WR in the league for what four years now? People will also be inclined to point out how he spent three years with Carr as his QB...Aj's numbers are stellar...AJ's highlight reel is impressive...if AJ keeps up his receptions and yards for another four - five years+ then he will be fine.
Old 11-16-2009   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Great point, and obviously we would all love to see that happen, but I don't think we should be forcing the ball to him in the red zone just for that reason.
I don't think we need to force anything. I think he can be a productive member of the red zone offense just like other teams that have stellar WRs. See Reggie Wayne's game winning TD last night.
Old 11-16-2009   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

So line AJ up as a TE. Or I don't know, just throw him the gaddam ball.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre gets more attention than any of those receivers mentioned in the original post

Andre is getting triple covered with OD out now, that means a corner a safety and a linebacker are bracketing him

That gives Schaub a small window to throw into and that window gets even smaller the closer you get to pay dirt
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Andre gets more attention than any of those receivers mentioned in the original post

Andre is getting triple covered with OD out now, that means a corner a safety and a linebacker are bracketing him

That gives Schaub a small window to throw into and that window gets even smaller the closer you get to pay dirt
That's true, but AJ's lack of TD production has gone on his entire career, both pre- and post-Kubiak.
Old 11-16-2009   #15
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLwowski View Post
What is keeping johnsons touchdown production so low? he only has 4 tds right now and i see other recievers like miles austin, randy moss, reggie wayne, vincent jackson, brandon marshall and they have 7 or more each. I personally think Andre is better all around reciever than those guys but yet has the same amount of touchdowns as rookies like austin collie, jermey maclin, and peircy harvin? Why does andre disapear in the redzone, or what is keeping him from getting those td's. Is it Schaub? i am clueless right now.
I think it has a lot to do with how many pass-catchers we have on offense. KW, OD (before his injury obviously), AJ, Dressen, JJ, AD all very capable of catching TDs. And that's not even counting Slaton and Leach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read