Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2009   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How are we going to stop Chris Johnson?

easier said than done but this time DeMeco must account for VY @ all times so the rest of the defense can come together & stop CJ
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #22
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

these are some "ideas"

Old 11-15-2009   #23
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: How are we going to stop Chris Johnson

You do not stop CJ you only stop the huge plays or try to. CJ is going to do his thing just don't give up many big gains and you will be just fine. CJ isn't going to win the game the Titans are as a team and what that means is you shutdown every player besides CJ and you should win the game. The key word being should all the have to do is use the tools they are known for having such as the pass and an improved D. I look for our run game get going early on in the game hopefully but as far as the D is concerned everyone juist stay alert out there and no missing silly tackles. I look for the team to come out fired up next Monday night after coming close to win in Indy for the first time ever in franchise history. This is their chance to go out on MNF in front of the entire nation what we have been seeing all season long that slowly but surely we are becoming for real and a true force in the AFC South once and for all. We aren't quite the laughing stock of the NFL that we once were anymore bottom line. GO TEXANS BEAT THOSE MEATBALLS ON PRIMETIME TV
Old 11-15-2009   #24
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

VY and CJ are no different (and may be worse) than Vick + Warrick Dunn were back in the day. Poor Crumpler, ironically, going from one situation to the exact same one later on.

Vick is and was faster than VY and Dunn was just a tad slower than CJ.

I don't think it will be difficult to gameplan for them. I hope they try the option. Our LBers are very fast. The Bills run defense is terrible, Moats had close to the same yardage that CJ did
Old 11-15-2009   #25
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris johnson reminds me of deion. He's not great. Just has GOD GIVEN speed. VY is an afterthought. CJ is the key to the win streak. We have done well against the run but now is the time to step up against the best rb in the league.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #26
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what. Living here in Austin, at this point, I'm focused on shutting down Rudy.

I am so freaking tired of the leg humping, jock swinging, mouth breathing yocals who keep calling for the Hootinanies to be on TV over the Texans.

Seeing the score today and the fact that now sausage boy has been ON the team (I refuse to say LEAD the team) to 3 straight wins only fuels my never ending hatred for the Hoot's.

I am not calling for some illegal hit or career ending injury. But, if MW plants him so friggin hard that he has to leave the game, I am satisfied regardless of what C. Johnson does.

I'd even take a loss as long as that **** sausage boy Rudy looks like ****.

Sorry.

I know what I have said may make no sense in regards to making the playoffs. I have stated before, I can debate and be level headed about any opponent, accept the Hoot's from Bumblescum Mountain. I'm blinded by hatred for them and only hope the worst for that franchise now and forever!

If the Hoot's beat us on MNF, I literally may need to seek professional help.

If the sausage king looks like a friggin hall of famer AND the Hoot's win, hell, I may just need to stop watching football. (JK) My blood pressure is already too high for my age.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #27
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the best thing to do is make sure you pop him . Get three good hits on him every time he touches the ball and take the starch out of him .

As far as Vince goes , get a big lead . VY has put life in the Titans but the last two games their defense sealed the deal with a TD .
Old 11-15-2009   #28
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Take a page from the movie Airplane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_GJk...eature=related
Old 11-15-2009   #29
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
He's gained 100 yards rushing for his fourth consecutive game and went over 100 yards both rushing and receiving against the Bills. He shredded our defense last time out but our D looks much improved now. Its time we find out just how much improved.

If we shut down CJ, we shut down the Titans. They've won 3 in a row but they still have the same strengths and weaknesses as a team. With Vince in at QB they are playing more to their strengths which is the running game and getting CJ the ball more overall which imo is key to their 3 game winning streak. But they're still suspect in pass defense and I see no reason why Schaub wouldn't shred their secondary like he did last time.

If our run D shows up and puts on yet another stellar performance and our CBs and OLBs stay home in the flats to take out CJ on the screens then I think we'll have a momentum building victory on MNF!!!

Then hopefully we'll carry that momentum all the way to the playoffs!!!

We've got the bye week to fix our weaknesses as a team and heal up some nagging injuries for some of our players (Mario, Cushing). Plus we've had an extra week of prep to figure out how to slow down that little speedster in Tennessee!!!
Give him a serious case of Cushlash. He needs to hit him so hard it knocks the gold off his teeth!!!
Old 11-15-2009   #30
Gymrat2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 27 Gymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedGymrat2005 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its Simple, Contain. Force him Inside where all your help is

Last edited by Gymrat2005; 11-15-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Gymrat2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #31
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

THere is this guy called

Chris Johnson i hope we have a plan to stop him ........ :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #32
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
They got Lendale, Chris Henry, and CJ in 3 consecutive years. They used 2nd round picks on the first 2 and then a 1st on CJ. I think people were making fun of how much they were investing in the RB position. The only bust of the group was Henry though so its hard to argue IF you have the OL already figured out to get plenty of capable RBs.

The lack of a running game is going to make it hard for us to finish close games this year. Hopefully next year we invest heavily in a true feature back and some interior OL help. I hope Caldwell develops and one of the other guards sticks around, but I would really like to find someone better than Chris Meyers at center. When we take care of that we'll be able to get a yard when we need to and win the close games and/or run out the clock to prevent another Colts comeback victory

PS: Did anyone else move interior OL/RB to the top of their Texans needs board after we went 3 and out after Pollard's 2nd INT in the 4th quarter with a 4 point lead. We then gave the ball right back to Peyton and the Colts got the game deciding td. Imagine if we had the ability to run out the clock...

If you didn't. I expect its because you already had it up there after the Jags/Cards 1 yard and a cloud of fail fiascos.
I watched Chris Johnson in his last college bowl game, and I thought "This is the first time I have seen this guy...but he looks pretty freaking good."
Old 11-16-2009   #33
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Hit everybody and let the paramedics sort them out.
Old 11-16-2009   #34
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

My gameplan would be having Pollard and Cushing on short zones on either side of the field with Demeco playing a lot of middle zones. Rushing VY has got to happen. Mario has got to turn it on because I don't think he has this year. 1 deep, E-willie should be enough over the top help against a weak passing game. Gang tackle, don't let the fleet of foot have 1 inch that he doesn't deserve.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We need quick scoring from offense to put us ahead and solid tackling from defense. I think linebackers will be the key to stopping Johnson. The DTs will slow him and it is up to Ryans to pop him. His avg should be cut below half; we just do not want to be focused on him and allow someone else to get long score on us.
Old 11-16-2009   #36
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

The line has been doing a great job as of late. The interior line has had a tough time in the past getting to the second level against faster LBs (which is why guys like Gary Bracket usually make it difficult for CJ) but they did really well against Patrick Willis as the game wore on in San Fran, so it will be interesting to see what kind of impact Ryans has on the run game.

Does Cushing usually line up on the right or left or is it depending on the offensive formation?
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #37
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

he usually lines up across from the TE
Old 11-16-2009   #38
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
WE stopped him the last time we played them, except for some long gashes. But we were getting gashed anyway the first 3 games, until Frank Bush modified the scheme, and now were shutting down the run well.

But yes, Chris Johnson is key. The VY nutsack lickers can hum all they want, but I want to see what he can do if the running game is shutdown.
That is like saying that Japan won WW2 except for that whole atomic bomb thing.

I guess the Carr nutsack lickers can hum all they want about the VY nutsack lickers but at the end of the day one guy is a winner and one guy (your guy) is a total loser. you have no credibility marcus so why don't you go lick Carr's sack again. It won't be the first time.
Old 11-16-2009   #39
TITAN1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I watched the whole Titans/Bills game.

Here's the three main ways they used Chris Johnson:

1. Screen passes. With VY back there, you have to choose whether you send the house to get to VY...or, do you maintain discipline and watch the edges for the screen pass to Chris Johnson? But even maintaining edge discipline is scary because VY could just run to the opposite side of the field and burn you.

That's why I hate this MNF game: VY sat and sat and sat, and the team wilted so badly under Kerry Collins that it gave VY the confidence boost to get out there and start playing the way he had been. Plus, they now have Chris Johnson who completely throws a monkey wrench into the game-planning against VY.

2. The freaking OPTION play. They line VY over center, mis-direction at the snap with VY reversing his direction and running an option with Chris Johnson waiting for the pitch. The Bills ran up and tackled VY but not before he pitches VERY wide to Chris Johnson who is already running at about 75% throttle at that point. Turns on the jets, and he's busting off a big play.

Good luck to our defense trying to figure this one out. Because VY could easily call (in the huddle) a fake option where the TE and WRs fake a run block...VY pulls up and stops running the option...and then takes two steps back and throws the ball since our LBs and DBs are moving up in anticipation of stopping the option run. Just like in college.

3. Chris Johnson lines up as the lone RB, deep behind VY. At the snap, Chris Johnson runs a huge "circle" pass route where he goes around the end of the tackle and then circles his way in-between the LBs and the DBs as the WRs and TEs then begin blocking the LBs and DBs.

They are calling some pretty nice plays for VY and CJ, which exploit the over-pursuit of the defense while minimizing the need for VY to recognize coverages.

When VY threw the ball vs. Bills, he did well IF it was a very short throw to a very open WR--Something like a check-down that Carr was in the habit of doing. VY missed a very easy TD throw to Crumpler. He also overthrew his WR and got it picked by Baird who read VY the whole way, with VY failing to remember that you can't lock your eyes onto one guy from start-to-finish.

So what we have, IMO, is an offense built around putting the ball into Chris Johnson's hands any way they can. And using VY not in the traditional role of a pure pocket passer, but rather in the role of the college QB who dares teams to come up and get him while then dumping off to screens or option runs to exploit the over-pursuit.

I hope Cushing is on his game. We need him to shadow VY and basically make VY always be thinking "Where is Cushing?" at all times during each play.

This game, IMO, just got a whole lot more interesting than it looked during week 4.
This says it all!
Here's to a great game!
TITAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #40
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
he usually lines up across from the TE
So strongside or Sam. Bulluck and Thornton stay put...

I'm interested to see how Cushing does against Stewart with the line playing well. That'll be a good match-up for a long time.

Last edited by Bulluck53; 11-16-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read