Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What the players are doing during the bye

For those without Twitter, I wanted to post what the Texans players have been saying on there since the Indy game and update everyone on our Texans' bye week plans

Zac Diles:
"headed back to cali..."
"Just got on the plane...first stop in Phoenix for a short lay over..."
"Finally back in Cali..."
"Just hit the freeway leavin SoCal headed to go see the moms...this is gonna be a loooong drive"
"Damn....why does it have to be raining in my home town...good ol Tulare haha..."

twitter.com/zd54 (for more on Zac)

Duane Brown:
"Much needed bye week this week. Tough loss yesterday about to learn from the film and get a workout in. Have a good monday everyone"
"At 2-a-days Sports Bar. A bunch of us showed up for Owen Daniel's bday and surprised him while he was on his radio show."
"Up early gettin this last practice in before we're off for some rest and relaxation!!! Hope you all are having a good Tuesday!"
"At the Galleria getting some things for Vegas this weekend"
"About to check out this Bears-49ers game and get my stuff together for Vegas tomorrow."

twitter.com/76ondalef

James Casey:
"Kylie and I with Dennis Miller last night at the Boys & Girls Country Heritage Award Dinner." link to the picture -> http://twitpic.com/p9p3k
"We also got to sit at the same table with Bagwell and Biggio. What an amazing time and organization."

twitter.com/jamescasey86

Mario Williams: (his comment is my personal fav out of all)
"arrrggghhhhh"

twitter.com/superjit90

Andre Johnson:
"Chillin at the Lakers and Rockets game"

twitter.com/johnson80

Steve Slaton:
"Be in the 215 tommorrow"
"713 warmer then 215. Gonna enjoy the break"

(for anyone curious, SS hadn't posted a thing on his for like 2 weeks, not coincidentally after he got benched)

twitter.com/ThaDoubleS

Brian Cushing: (his comments are also my fav)
"We should have won today! We made the right adjustments at half and I would have traded our bye week for the win today!"
"Leaving for LA tomorrow to train at USC. I got my hands on some game film (of the Titans) to study for our next home game on Monday Night!"
"Hanging out with my college LB'cker coach Ken Norton Jr. He's helping me fine tune my LB'cker play in the NFL playing for the Texans."

twitter.com/briancushing56

Connor Barwin:
"My bye week has officially started so I'm back on the Twitter all week....flight got delayed but should be in Chicago by midnight."
"Good times at niketown with the family....ready for a home cooked dinner now."
"Mashed potatoes, country ribs, corn, baked beans, and cucumbers and creme....smack you in the mouth! On my way to the Bus for the night."
"Back in the NATI....ready for a great weekend!"

twitter.com/cbarwin

Eric Winston:
"Watching the Sunday night game with the wifee. I hate feeling like this! We had our chances"
(this one is really funny lol)
"No shot! Id have a heart attack! RT @txngirl: do you ever read any of the msg boards, or does it tick you off too much?"
"Just dead. 2 min is exhausting! RT @RexRaveR I saw u laying on the ground after the missed kick. U ok or just wind let out of your sails?"
"Heading to Ft. Lauderdale this weekend for some relaxation. Looking forward to it"
"Ft. Laudy here I come!"

twitter.com/ericwinston

Enjoy!

I'll update what everyone is up to if anything significant is tweeted
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What the players are doing during the bye

Thanks for posting that! Good read.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Interesting to read Cushing is the only one that's stated from the list of players he's spending the week getting ready for the Titans. On the one hand i'm ecstatic that he's such a hard working player but on the other hand the players need their bye weeks for the stretch run and I hope he doesn't burn himself out late in the season when we need him to come up big for us.

I'm all for working hard but over the course of an NFL season and with the hours that i'm sure a player like him puts in week to week your body and mind need a break. Especially since he's essentially had no offseason when you include all the draft preparation he had after his last college football season.
Old 11-12-2009   #4
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 4784 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

<< don't forget about Kris brown you guys.
Old 11-12-2009   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Interesting to read Cushing is the only one that's stated from the list of players he's spending the week getting ready for the Titans. On the one hand i'm ecstatic that he's such a hard working player but on the other hand the players need their bye weeks for the stretch run and I hope he doesn't burn himself out late in the season when we need him to come up big for us.

I'm all for working hard but over the course of an NFL season and with the hours that i'm sure a player like him puts in week to week your body and mind need a break. Especially since he's essentially had no offseason when you include all the draft preparation he had after his last college football season.
I agree and he's a rookie so he has no idea how important the bye is for non-football reasons (rest and more rest).

It wouldn't surprise me though if he's doing all that because he doesn't want to do anything else lol. I remember in a combine interview he was asked what he does off the football field and he said something like I don't do anything I stay in the house and don't like to party and whatnot. I think this kid eats drinks and sleeps football and I'm sure every day of the offseason he'll be working out watching film and studying the playbook. It just seems like that might be his nature, he's very dedicated and a border-line workaholic.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I agree and he's a rookie so he has no idea how important the bye is for non-football reasons (rest and more rest).

It wouldn't surprise me though if he's doing all that because he doesn't want to do anything else lol. I remember in a combine interview he was asked what he does off the football field and he said something like I don't do anything I stay in the house and don't like to party and whatnot. I think this kid eats drinks and sleeps football and I'm sure every day of the offseason he'll be working out watching film and studying the playbook. It just seems like that might be his nature, he's very dedicated and a border-line workaholic.
Dude wants to be the best NFL linebacker of all time. Out of a bunch of bad asses, he is a bad bad mans. There's lots of hard working athletes, but few who are both very talented and very devoted to working hard.

He doesn't drink alcohol or soda, and gets prepared healthy meals of 4500-6000 calories a day. He hates missing lifting days (I worry about overtraining some with that one), and his first big purchase after he signed his contract was a portable hyperbaric chamber for rapid healing.

He was one of the best linebackers in the country coming out of high school, and traveled across the country to play for USC because he thought it would best prepare him to be great on the NFL level.

It is both great and hard to be that dedicated to one thing.
Old 11-12-2009   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the thread M5K.
On Cushing, he needs to get himself a girlfriend, take up golf, something ?
Understand the poor guy doesn't even drink ? Intense is good but not too intense and everyone needs to have a diversion from their work, whatever it might be ?
He's a multi-millionaire at 22 - kickback and lightin up just a little, OK boy ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2009   #8
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Thanks for the thread M5K.
On Cushing, he needs to get himself a girlfriend, take up golf, something ?
Understand the poor guy doesn't even drink ? Intense is good but not too intense and everyone needs to have a diversion from their work, whatever it might be ?
He's a multi-millionaire at 22 - kickback and lightin up just a little, OK boy ?
Be careful. We wouldn't want him lighting up with Ricky Williams or somebody like that...
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cush wants to be great.

He's got the desire and is willing to make the sacrifices to be great.

If he stays healthy the skies the limit for him. IMO

I'm so glad that Smithiak drafted him.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #10
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing probably sleeps with a football next to him.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i could go ring andre2k's doorbell, but i don't want to be a creeper.
Old 11-13-2009   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
I would not doubt it. Seriously.

Please note that Duane Brown also mentioned looking at game film of the Colts loss. I'm sure most of them did some sort of glancing at the Colts film before the break.

Cushing is a robot alien trapped inside the body of a mythical creature.
Old 11-13-2009   #13
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
I hear his bed is made of turf, complete with chalk lines and a goal post for a headboard.
Old 11-13-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that Cushing is still working during the break. When you established yourself as a pro bowl player year in and year out then you can take a break.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #15
50boys
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5802

More updates on what players will be doing.
50boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #16
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

That guy is a machine. The last thing I am is worried about Brian Cushing being able to keep going.
Old 11-13-2009   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
That guy is a machine. The last thing I am is worried about Brian Cushing being able to keep going.
Well he's had a history of injuries dating back to college. I think a large reason for that is because he pushes himself too hard. Everyone is vulnerable to burning out mentally much less physically.
Old 11-13-2009   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The guys that end up being great always keep their eye on the prize with workouts, etc. My new Men's Health has an article on Freeney. His workouts are crazy. In the hills, pushing tractor tires, jumping through them, running with them chained on his body. Makes you realize where he gets the burst, etc. I know he is a Texans enemy but it is a good read if you want to see inside how these NFL guys train. Just thought of this reading about Cushing.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0030281eac____

Quote:
A 100-POUND TIRE IS BIG, but a 200-pounder looks like it's going to spring up and roll over you--a uniquely uncomfortable sight when you're close enough to kiss it.

Freeney steps up to the tire, drops into a deep squat with a flat back, and then explodes up and flips the tire into the air. After it lands, he jumps laterally into it and back out again, moving from left to right and then right to left. That's 1 rep. He does 10.

After that, he grabs a 25-pound sledgehammer, stands on top of the tire, and pounds away. How's that for stress relief? "Lifting heavy objects yields excellent physical results, but even more, it stimulates your mental game," Capretta says.

If you've never attacked a tire before, don't try it without a trainer. You can gain the same results indoors with free weights: Deadlifts use the same movement. To add conditioning, as Freeney does with the hammer, immediately follow a deadlift set with 30 to 60 seconds of jumping rope.

Now it's my turn. "It's all mental," Freeney reminds me as I bend at my hips, grab the tire, focus--and flip it over. He was right: You can't look at a big object and think it's too much. That's failure.
Old 11-15-2009   #19
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Lol at Shaun Cody -

"I have a lot of plans for my bye week: finding a good book, cuddling up to a fireplace, and indulging my intellectual side. (I'm) heavy into poetry and other things in the arts."
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer and Metal View Post
I hear his bed is made of turf, complete with chalk lines and a goal post for a headboard.
Does he have players, refs and cheerleaders in there too?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read