Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-22-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default So Much Cap Space

Quote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=34
CAP STATUS: One of the benefits of being a new franchise is not being around long enough to get into salary-cap trouble. The Texans have managed the cap well and are $14 million to $16 million under the 2005 cap.
I really didnt think that we had that much space open. I know that we still are going to go after Payne and probably Faggins, but what would that bring us down to, like 10 to 12 million? That is still enough space to sign a good receiver in FA before the draft.

How much would it cost to get Laverniouse Coles, Plexico Burress, Jerry Porter, Joey Galloway, or Derrick Mason.

If we signed one of them we would still probably have like 8 to 10 million left over for rooks.
Old 02-22-2005   #2
wiley2002
Veteran

Don't go spending too much because we should be having some key players coming up to the end of their contracts in a year or two.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
Don't go spending too much because we should be having some key players coming up to the end of their contracts in a year or two.
Yeah, I know just thinking wishfully.
Speaking of thinking wishfully, you never know, with the good attitudes on our team, we might be able to be that type of team thats good enough for players to resign for less money, and stay in a hunt for a SB, but I doubt that happens next year unless we kill in free agency and the draft.
Old 02-22-2005   #4
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

I say we should build the team through the draft like the Baltimore Ravens did, and if any good veteran free agents want to play for the Texans at a decent price then I say grab them, but if not we should be developing the young talent that we already have and acquire through the draft. But we have to make sure we are picking the right players that will make actually make the team and contribute on the field when asked upon them, but I'm not too sure the Texans have been doing that though
Old 02-22-2005   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

The Ravens went after TO but didnt get him, plus the Ravens didnt make the playoffs this year. But I still think that it was a good example.
Old 02-22-2005   #6
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
The Ravens went after TO but didnt get him, plus the Ravens didnt make the playoffs this year. But I still think that it was a good example.
Please believe the Ravens will be back in the playoffs very soon. Their only weakness is on offense primarily the WR position, and fixing the O-line, which both could be done through free agency or through the draft because they are 20 million below the salary cap. They are not in the rebuilding process though.
Old 02-22-2005   #7
wiley2002
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I know just thinking wishfully.
Speaking of thinking wishfully, you never know, with the good attitudes on our team, we might be able to be that type of team thats good enough for players to resign for less money, and stay in a hunt for a SB, but I doubt that happens next year unless we kill in free agency and the draft.
I see where you're coming from but I just don't want to see the Texans end up the way Dallas did after all those FA they picked up in the 90s. I want to see the Texans remain a dominant force for years to come. So far they have shown me that they can. This season should prove who's worthy and who's not.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2005   #8
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

14 to 16 mil?

I thought it was like 2 mil or 3 mil maybe.
Old 02-22-2005   #9
Dannyboy81
Rookie

I dont know . I think we can be 50 mil under the cap but we still wont make the playoffs. We dont play consistent and our playcalling is mediocore at best.
Its not the players but the system instead!! Its gets me mad just mentioning how much money we have or what draft picks we got. Still think we need a new head coach!! Capers can stay but not as headcoach . Anyone follow me????? Give me feedback please!!
Old 02-22-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I follow you.. but dont agree with you. Capers has yet to show me that he isnt a good head coach. We have line problems.. get them fixed..and then lets see where we are. If we have the talent and we are playing well.. but the playcalling is losing the game for us.. then we know who to fire.

As things are.. its not Capers that is losing the game, its our Oline and our Dline.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Thoughts:

ok.. we are 14-16 under the cap. lets assume we resign Payne & Faggins. and lets assume that that costs us 4 million (maybe a little low.. we will see.)

Now.. there are some other plays im sure we are gonna want to resign.. and maybe pick up a couple "no namers" from around the league.. so lets assume we spend 4 million more on that (again.. maybe a little low)

So.. that would leave us with 6 to 8 million in cap space. Enough for ONE good pickup. Who do you think it could be? Im gonna say LaMont Jordan. We have wanted him forever and the jets are having cap issues.. as much as they want to resign him.. signing a backup RB probably wont be their highest priority.

Hes a franchise RB. We need a franchise RB. DD is great but unreliable with his injuries. Lamont Jordan.. god I hope we get him.

*crosses fingers and wishes on a shooting star*
Old 02-22-2005   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19807 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget that the rookie pool has to come out of the $14-16 million as well.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

ahhh.. yah thats right.. forgot about that. well shoot. Maybe if Casserly is very persuasive heh.
Old 02-22-2005   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they will also be raising the cap to around 85 Mill. If that isn't already factored into the 14-16 number, then we could get Jordan and still have space for the newbees. There are a couple of centers and gaurds that are FA's that should we get either as starters (hope) or quality backups.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #15
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

I think the 2 guys we need to target are LB Edgar Hartwell(Bal.) and C/G Ben Hamilton (Den.) Both would be great to get, but 1 would make me happy.
Old 02-23-2005   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I see a franchise tag coming to Jamie Sharper's future next year.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #17
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
I really didnt think that we had that much space open. I know that we still are going to go after Payne and probably Faggins, but what would that bring us down to, like 10 to 12 million? That is still enough space to sign a good receiver in FA before the draft.

How much would it cost to get Laverniouse Coles, Plexico Burress, Jerry Porter, Joey Galloway, or Derrick Mason.

If we signed one of them we would still probably have like 8 to 10 million left over for rooks.
Ain't it amazing what 3 weeks or so will do? I mentioned this in another thread and was blasted as not knowing what I was talking about. The cap is very complex and I sure don't claim to be an expert. However, as I understand, the $14 m is our wiggle room for 2005. Draft picks and free agents not picked in draft must come out of that as well as any free agents we keep or select. Still $14 m is a lot of change. Keep in mind, there are always borderline guys on the team who could be cut if needed. Football does not have guaranteed contracts and some of those guys have small signing bonus if any and would not impact cap. I think if you have a shot at a good f/a that can be a starter or above avg back up, you go for him. You can't say well that effects how much cap space avail in following years. To me that's like saying, do not draft a player that is a potential starter cause his salary effects future years. Of course it does. That's how we get better. While free agency and the draft are basically **** shoots, at least you have a pro track record with a f/a. I like building with younger guys but if you can sign a guy who can be a player maker for 2+ years , I say negotiate.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I see a franchise tag coming to Jamie Sharper's future next year.
I think it will be a top priority for CC to sign him to a deal before we need to place the franchise tag on him. Hopefully he'll be able to finish up his career as a Texan.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #19
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

Yeah I dont purport to know anything about the cap either but I heard last night that the Rockets were paying Matt Moloney 200gs a year until he is 75. Not to say that this was a particularly good deal, but can teams in the NFL come up with the same creative solutions? If so the cap is roadhump more so than a roadblock.
twinkletwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #20
erickwsmom
Rookie

And I think he wants to also.
erickwsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read