Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2009   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default It's Time To Start Antoine Caldwell

And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL. I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?
Old 11-12-2009   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's Time To Start Antoine Caldwell

I kinda got the impression that Caldwell was targeted as a possible takeover for White hopefully here soon. I think the thinking s that the duo of Myers and Caldwell are better than the duo of Caldwell and white?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If Caldwell can't beat out a total scrub loser like Chris Myers, that makes me really worried about Caldwell.
Old 11-12-2009   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I am will to try White or A.C. to take the place of Myers he just gets pushed into the back field all too often.
Old 11-12-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

No time for "growing" until the playoffs are out the window imo
Old 11-12-2009   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL. I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?
Good post, must spread the rep.

I, admittedly, am no fan of Myers. But, the coaching staff has continually defended the starting status of Myers to a degree that makes no sense. A center's play probably has more effect on an O line's performance as a whole than any other single position. It affects the consistency of both the run and pass play success. With a breakdown of the center play, there is a direct funnel to the RB and the QB, certainly something that we have seen more than enough in critical situations.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 11-12-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: sp
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers is decent in pass pro and keeps the line in check fairly well. His run blocking is a joke, goalline/power/in space doesn't matter he can't push a guy over to save his life.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2009   #8
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Good post, must spread the rep.

I, admittedly, am no fan of Myers. But, the coaching staff has continually defended the starting status of Myers to a degree that makes no sense. A center's play probably has more effect on an O line's performance as a whole than any other single position. It affects the consistency of both the run and pass play success. With a breakdown of the center play, there is a direct funnel to the RB and the QB, certainly sometime that we have seen more than enough in critical situations.
I just have a hard time questioning the decisions made for a unit that is led by Alex Gibbs.
Old 11-12-2009   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
No time for "growing" until the playoffs are out the window imo
Let's say no playoffs this year then we have not seen if A.C. is the real deal or not. He is going to have to show his skills soon or later. You have younger O lines then Houston who are playing better.
Old 11-12-2009   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I am a fan of Antoine Caldwell. I think he's going to be a top member of our OL for years to come. I've seen flashes this year where he has shown just how good he can be.

However, he's not there yet. And I think after last year's handling of Duane Brown, the staff feels like they can balance Caldwell's growth the same way. It's perplexing, but in hindsight, the coaches weren't going to replace Myers at any point anyway, I don't think. They find greater value in what he does than we do as fans. And I'm not blind to what Myers does well. On the stretch plays, screens, and tosses, he can get out and do some great blocking at the second level. He moves well. It's just my opinion that these assets don't outweigh his inability to block at the first level. I guess the coaches differ with me on that, so OK. I'm no professional.

Furthermore, with the injuries to the guard position, Caldwell is going to see all his time at guard this year. I expect he'll continue to get better, and next year he'll be a starter on the line.

Last edited by eriadoc; 11-12-2009 at 06:17 PM.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I just have a hard time questioning the decisions made for a unit that is led by Alex Gibbs.
How have you enjoyed our run game thus far?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #12
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they make Caldwell the permanent answer at center. That is what he was originally drafted for and that is where it seems to me that he will fit best over the next 10 years or so.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #13
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL.I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?
Thoughts one and two on why the Texans do not make the change.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

This does not have to be a move for A.C. I am game for anyone but if you're happy with Myers getting blown off the LOS then have at it.
Old 11-12-2009   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Thoughts one and two on why the Texans do not make the change.
Staring one new player should not hurt so much that we miss the playoffs then try White or someone anyone.
Old 11-12-2009   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure Gibbs hasn't enjoyed it either!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I just said it another thread, but may be more appropriate here - I would not mind seeing them work on a goal line package with Caldwell at Center.
Old 11-12-2009   #18
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Not at all. Point being, Alex Gibbs resume speaks for itself. Not to mention Slatons decision making has been atrocious compared to last year.
Old 11-12-2009   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I just said it another thread, but may be more appropriate here - I would not mind seeing them work on a goal line package with Caldwell at Center.
I'd like to see a GL package with AJ and Walter at WR, two TEs lined up to block (Dreesen and Hill), Casey at FB, and Leach at tailback. Imagine the options you'd have from a setup like that.
Old 11-12-2009   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
If Caldwell can't beat out a total scrub loser like Chris Myers, that makes me really worried about Caldwell.
Kubes is notorious for not playing his young guys, and regretting it later. See Diles.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read