Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-22-2005   #1
Dannyboy81
Rookie

Default Anyone think we need a new head coach???

Everyone knows that the texans are blessed with talent on both sides of the ball for being a three year team in the NFL. I think with all of the talent we got on offense theres no excuse to not be in the playoffs!! Capers decision calling during the game always kills me!!
I think this year is a make or break year for this guy. I love our general manager for putting a good team and a promising offense together but Capers to me is the weakest leak to the team. He'll probably be a better G.M. assitant or scout assistant but not the coach!!!!!! Anyone else think we need a new headcoach?? If so . . . who???
Old 02-22-2005   #2
wiley2002
Veteran

Let's wait until a year from now before we start answering that question. But since you asked I'll give you my opinion. Definately not Jeff Fisher because I know there are Texans/Oilers fans alike that have just as many ill feelings towards him like they do the flaming tacs' owner.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

no
Old 02-22-2005   #4
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy81
Everyone knows that the texans are blessed with talent on both sides of the ball for being a three year team in the NFL. I think with all of the talent we got on offense theres no excuse to not be in the playoffs!!
Why don't you talk to the talent you mentioned about that? Fumblitis lost us games 2 games right from the start of this year, not Dom Capers. Then with playoffs on the line, maybe our team (read, the talent) wouldn't have napped through the Browns game to end the season. At 10-6 with a 8-4 conference record, we would have been the #5 seed in the playoffs.

That's life, though. No point getting upset about it. DD seems to have gotten ball control back - I guess someone managed to coach that problem out of him - so we shouldn't expect such disappointments next year.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #5
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

This is their year to produce, if they can't make the playoffs this year then I think it will be time for a regime change. . . I'd like Capers to remain a coach on the team, just not as head coach.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #6
Paragon Blue
Veteran

1 more year
Paragon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll go along with the general assembly on this one...this is a year for finding out what direction the team is going in and also a big one for the coaching staff. In the NFL you don't get many years to produce a winner like they did in the old days with Landry. So I do think Coach Capers is under a microscope this year.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2005   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as capers goes up in wins, he will be the coach. Remember, this is a 5 year plan. So dont be surprised to see Capers coach next year, if we dont make the playoffs. He does need to get at least 7-8 wins though.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
As long as capers goes up in wins, he will be the coach. Remember, this is a 5 year plan. So dont be surprised to see Capers coach next year, if we dont make the playoffs. He does need to get at least 7-8 wins though.

Please don't say 5 year plan. Nobody is untouchable for 5 years. 7-8 wins won't cut it next year. I'd say 9-7 is the bottom line.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #10
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Please don't say 5 year plan. Nobody is untouchable for 5 years. 7-8 wins won't cut it next year. I'd say 9-7 is the bottom line.
If the team shows improvement like they did this year from last year the coachs will not be fired even if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Casserly and Bob Mcnair totally believe in the 5 year plan, thats why ALL the coachs got extentions last offseason!!!

Get off Capers and the coachs for atleast 2 more years. The coaching staff has show impovement every season and I have no reason to see that they won't improve again this upcoming season!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy81
Everyone knows that the texans are blessed with talent on both sides of the ball for being a three year team in the NFL.
You see . . . that's where you're wrong, right there. Everyone does NOT know that, because it's not the case.

There are two different mindsets at work here. The group that wants the coaching staff fired, and cries every week about game-planning and playcalling, think for some odd reason, that the Texans players were all pro-bowl caliber, talent wise, and should have won the Super Bowl in their first year of existance.

Then there is the group that recognizes that patience is required to build a football team, and that continuity is the best thing.

Let us all give thanks that Bob McNair is a member of the second group.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I don't see this overall talent that you speak off. We have some great pieces with AJ, Dunte, Babin and Carr. I just don't see the talent on the O-line (including TE) or the front 7 on defense. Babin played very well for a rookie converted DE.

Personally I think there are some weak links on the team. McKinney struggled last year. Foreman has never been much better than a functional ILB. We still don't have a multi-dimensional TE (I'm holding my breath on Joppru). We are likely losing Bradford and that leaves a big void at the #2 WR slot. Walker, Payne, Glenn, Coleman and Sharper didn't look as solid last year. Wiegert went from our best overall lineman in 2003, to one of our 2 worst (starters) in 2004.

My point is that while we are gaining new talent, we are losing it too. Don't overestimate the talent this team has. Rose-colored glasses don't have a place when one is trying to be objective about talent.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #13
rhc564
Veteran

Default Trying to understand

:woot There are a couple things I'm trying to understand here-- first, for you
5 yr people. We are 60% into the 5 yr plan and still have a ton of problems,
with virtually every posistion on the team either needing an upgrade or
added depth. There is only 1 year left to get everything right so that we
are a playoff team beginning with the 5th year. That's right. The 5 year
plan is running out of time and still has a lot of work to do---too, we are
too far into this 'playoff in 5 yr scenario' for any back peddling. I sense
some of you are going to begin changing this plan to 'just' winning, with
playoffs further down the road-- others, including team reps, will say there
never was a 5 yr plan!

Second, what kind of talent do we really have and do we have the coach-
ing in place to motivate/develope whatever talent there is?

Another year. OK. I can accept that. I'm just wandering if everyone
realizes the importance/magnitude of this 4th year as it leads into the
'glorious' 5th year. This team better make some right decision/choices
now because there is no room for error. The clock is ticking...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #14
Gilly
Rookie

Default New coach

Capers is not the problem. we need a new play caller more than we need anything. I remember getting sick to my stomach in the forth quarter everyweek when play calling lost the game. I say give Capers more time and see what happens.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #15
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
There are a couple things I'm trying to understand here-- first, for you 5 yr people. We are 60% into the 5 yr plan and still have a ton of problems, with virtually every posistion on the team either needing an upgrade or added depth.
Here's my run down of what we've got that will (probably) still be here for yr5:

QB (2)- Carr, Ragone
RB (3)- Davis, Wells
FB - Baxter
WR (5) - Johnson, Gaffney, Armstrong, Starling
TE (3) - Joppru, maybe Miller
LT - Wand (team seems to believe)
LG - Pitts
RT - Wade
Various OL depth

Offensively we'd need to do something about the TE, C and RG starters by Yr5. OLine depth is OK today, its the starters who are questionable. 1 WR, 1 RB and 1 TE need depth. Total players needed: 6

RE - Smith
Various DL depth
OLB (3) - Babin, Peek, Orr
ILB (3)- Sharper? Wong? (Age)
CB (3)- Robinson, Faggins
S (3)- Earl, Coleman?, Simmons

Defensively we need NT and LE at the line, depth is OK. ILB needs two players. CB needs a #2, FS needed. Total players needed: 6 + assume 2 of Sharper/Wong/Coleman are done = 8

Leaving special teams out of the picture, we need about 14 players to have every position set with solid depth. A few holes can be dealt with (even Super Bowl teams have weaknesses). Assuming we find 5 players in each draft, we have 10 of 14 right there, meaning we're easily within reach of deep-playoff-contention with 2-3 FA pickups.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #16
Dannyboy81
Rookie

Still think we have talent on the offensive side with wr, rb, pass-catching TE, and qb!!! On D we have playmakers on 3 aspects of it. Walker, Sharper, and Glenn/Robinson. In my opinion . . . the coaching staff needs to produce more productivity with the players we have now. I just dont think the coaching staff/head coach has the mind set to do that. We're blessed with the kind of potential our offense has but just need to get them working on all cylinders. I say if we are not in the playoff hunt at the end of the season we should take on a new head coach. Thats just my opinion!!

I think consistentcy is the main issue on both sides of the ball. And in my opinion . . . . . the coaching staff is to blame. We are aren't that bad of a
team. A play or two there in a couple of games during the season and we could have been talking about playoffs!!!!!! Thats just my take on it though.
Old 02-24-2005   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep the coaches for 2 more years.. unless the Texans just fall flat on their face. This was a team that was built from street free agents and boarderline NFL players 3 years ago and we have improved conciderably. this team struggled with a change in the blocking scheme last season.. I couldn't imagine what a change would do to the offensive/defensive philosophies at this moment.. The game is just starting to slow down for the young guys

Face it we probably would have made the playoffs this season if it weren't for key injuries to the OL .. a few years back... and our development as a team would be leaps and bounds ahead of where we are... Ryan young and Boselli...and let me throw in an injury to Joppru... 2 out of 5 guys on the OL that were expected to solidify a line for at least 4-5 years out.. and a TE that was supposed to be a complete one (that can block and catch)... weren't in the plans... IF those guys could have stayed healthy, we'd be talking about how much fun it was to be in the playoffs.

Defensively... I still expected more out of the Veteran group on that side of the ball , ever since day one...and that is the part of the team, I thought would be better at this point .. Walker has been a disappointment to me and the one that I like Payne has been a suprise, yet injuries have slowed him down.

Now I am not making excuses for the coaches and the injuries are part of the game, all teams have them..The injuries take a greater toll on a team that is freshly starting team and hasn't been able to get depth in areas that are needed.. There is still a big drop off in production when a 1st teamer gets hurt and the 2nd teamer steps in and I don't know if anyone could expect a team to fill ALL their needs in just 3 drafts.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
If the team shows improvement like they did this year from last year the coachs will not be fired even if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Casserly and Bob Mcnair totally believe in the 5 year plan, thats why ALL the coachs got extentions last offseason!!!

Get off Capers and the coachs for atleast 2 more years. The coaching staff has show impovement every season and I have no reason to see that they won't improve again this upcoming season!!
I didn't say anything about playoffs. As a matter of fact 9-7 probably wouldn't make the playoffs in the AFC.

As far as improvement in year 3 it was bittersweet. The point has been made over and over again that something was missing this year vs. the previous 2. They played with less "heart". The offensive line took a step backwards by shuffling players to new positions and going to zone blocking. The offense looked flat and uninspired most of the time. TE's were under utilized. The defensive line is getting old fast and didn't look good or play well this year.

About getting off Capers. I don't think he is head coach material. Never have. He is an excellent dc. I won't even bring up Palmer and Fangio other than to say I don't care for them. Fangio has it a little easier because he can rely on Capers.

I am a big fan of the Texans. Just because I don't like the coaching staff doesn't make me less of a fan. I grew up watching the Oilers in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. I stuck with them through some lean years. I'm no bandwagoner. I'm here for the long haul with the Texans. I will say what I think though.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Keep the coaches for 2 more years.. unless the Texans just fall flat on their face.
This is the "fish or cut bait" season for the coaches. Capers signed a 5 year deal & none of the assistants are signed past '06. McNair will either give Capers & staff an extension following the '05 season or look for a new coach. He won't force the staff to play through a lame duck season in '06 where they're coaching for their jobs. That's a move a 3rd class owner, like Red McCombs, would make.
Old 02-24-2005   #20
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Thumbs up

A quick check on the dial - yep I see were at year #4 with the Fire Capers thread.

This year though could be some changes if Capers & Co cant get some better results from the personel and compete for a playoff spot.

Love the team and the guys - would love even more to see them all succeed, but the writing may be on the wall by mid season if were not competing for the division and playoffs by the end of the year. Some hard choices for McNair this year esp if the team starts off slow again. Lots of places to improve and a long term plan in place has made growth pretty stable, but honestly I look for the kid gloves to come off this year for everyone. Scrutiny from the media to the fans will be turning up the heat on the team, coaches or Ownership this year for results.

my 2 yards worth
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read