Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2009   #1
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 74627 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Henry

Ok, now that Larry Johnson mania is dead on TT, I decided to dig deeper into our current practice squad options. I didn't know much about Chris Henry so I decided to do some investigating. I found some pretty amazing stuff on Chris Henry. Check this out:

"Height 5 ' 11.3 "
Weight 230 lbs.
Speed 4.40 ( Combine )

Graduation Year 2007
Birth Date 6/6/1985
Jersey # 19
Current Position HB
Projected Position HB
CDS Projected 2007 NFL Draft Round 3
Member Projected 2007 NFL Draft Round 3

Stats
Season Year GP GS Att Rush Yds Avg Rush TDs Rec Rec Yds Avg Rec TDs Fum Lost
'03-'04 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
'04-'05 11 --- 56 159 2.8 2 --- --- --- --- ---
'05-'06 11 --- 34 119 3.5 --- --- --- --- --- ---
'06-'07 12 6 165 581 3.5 7 21 197 9.4 1 ---

Overview
Chris is widely considered the second best "big back" in the draft with Louisville's Michael Bush's surprise announcement that he will not seek a medical RS year. Chris was recently spotlighted and interviewed here at condraft.com and can be found under our interview section. Chris comes out after his Junior season where he saw his first substantial action in his college career. He had to sit behind the Broncos Mike Bell and several underclassmen this year before taking over at midseason. Production was not impressive early in '06 as the Wildcats started 3 freshman and 2 sophomores along the offensive front. Look at what he did over the latter part of the year once that group had gelled for a look at his real talent and ability.
Strengths
Let's state the obvious: Chris is HUGE. He is 6-1, 235, and still runs a legit 4.4 40 time. He is a physical specimen. Henry has no problem picking up the blitz, and if nothing else will be a very good 3rd down back in the NFL. However, many, including myself, think he can offer a lot more to an NFL team. Chris is a downhill runner, and uses his incredible size to carry defenders for the extra 2-3 yards. Henry is also a very good receiver out of the backfield, providing a safety blanket for QB Willie Tuitama all season. Chris shined at the combine, probably the most talked about player there, finishing in the top 5 of all RB's for his 40 time(4.4), broad jump(10'7" ), 3 cone drill(6.96), and vertical leap(36").
Weaknesses
A huge weakness is his lack of college production. 859 CAREER rushing yards and a career yard per carry of of just 3.4. Chris had to sit behind some very good running backs ahead of him and never really established himself among the younger guys. All scouts really can go off of is his potential and postseason workouts.
Projection
Chris may be the best big back in this year's draft, however, due to lack of college experience and production, I see him sliding a bit. With great Combine workouts, Chris solidified himself as a first day pick and may even move to the high 2nd round. Amazing for a player with so little experience in college."

Maybe some of you are more familiar with him, and why is just a practice squad guy. His 4.40's speed with that size is unbelievable. As bad as our backfield has been, I could see giving him a legitimate chance and seeing what he does. Any thoughts?
Pollardized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #2
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Henry

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. He is a great athlete, but just a bad football player.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #3
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 74627 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian View Post
Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. He is a great athlete, but just a bad football player.
See, that's what I was wondering. I mean, 4.4 speed on that frame should equal at least a decent RB. Maybe he just needs some coaching. The physical attributes are there. Maybe he needs to toughen up a bit. Have him and Cushing play a little one on one every day or something.
Old 11-11-2009   #4
vanknights2002
Rookie

I been saying it a lot but I want A. Foster to get the shot. In the off season it looked like he had the job until he got hurt. They rushed him back and look good not great in his only preseason game. The other reason is that he's a one cut back that played in the SEC when all Tenn could do was run the ball. He hurt his knee and then had a off year his senior year. If he would of can out last year he would of been a 3 or 4 rounder.
vanknights2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #5
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian View Post
No such thing as a bad pro football player. Some are just ALOT better than others.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
No such thing as a bad pro football player.
Victor Riley. Corey Bradford in Detroit.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
See, that's what I was wondering. I mean, 4.4 speed on that frame should equal at least a decent RB. Maybe he just needs some coaching. The physical attributes are there. Maybe he needs to toughen up a bit. Have him and Cushing play a little one on one every day or something.
He is an ideal experiment for the ZBS. If he can be coached and has a little discipline, Gibbs can't teach him how to run in the scheme. It's generally a very simple key and one cut. It doesn't require the vision or balance that many schemes do for RBs to be successful
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2009   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
No such thing as a bad pro football player. Some are just ALOT better than others.
David Carr. Chris Myers. John Busing. Bad football players.
Old 11-11-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Fred Bennett

Vince Young
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Fred Bennett

Vince Young
And Fred Bennett once picked off VY so that tells you something lol
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 265137 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You never know, sometimes that guy who didn't do anything in one place turns it around on his second stop once he understands what he's facing (life after the NFL). Sometimes they never put it all together.

He's got to "practice" his way off the practice squad first though. I think if he'd impressed anyone yet then he'd have worked his way up to the regular roster by now. There have been a couple of opportunities to move him up and nothing so far.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #12
Pollardized
Division Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You never know, sometimes that guy who didn't do anything in one place turns it around on his second stop once he understands what he's facing (life after the NFL). Sometimes they never put it all together.

He's got to "practice" his way off the practice squad first though. I think if he'd impressed anyone yet then he'd have worked his way up to the regular roster by now. There have been a couple of opportunities to move him up and nothing so far.
That kind of scares me about Kubes. It seems in the past our coaching staff has been reluctant to make a change until it's seemingly too late (See David Carr). I know Slaton was great last year, but my boss doesn't pay me for what I did last year. If I don't produce now, I'd be gone. Some coaches (and fans) are quick to point out what a player DID previously. If the production is not there now, a change must be made. I run an AC company, if a technician or installer is doing a good job and producing, I keep him employed and pay him. If he stops producing I have to tell him to produce or face the consequences. When he doesn't change, I'm forced to make a change. The new person may look like he can set the world on fire, but I really won't know until I try him. I've hired guys that looked like great prospects who turned out to be turds. I've hired guys who looked borderline turdish, and they turned out to be great assets. Point is you just don't know until you take a chance.
Old 11-11-2009   #13
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No such thing as a bad pro football player.
Matt Stevens.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #14
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

This guy isn't good, just an athele, but when you put the pads on he isn't a real football player.
Old 11-11-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreRulz View Post
This guy isn't good, just an athele, but when you put the pads on he isn't a real football player.
I agree.

Some guys get drafted just because of what they can do in shorts. Henry is one of those guys. He has never been successful as a football player, not even in college.

He was drafted because he was big and fast. They hoped he could play, but he can't.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
That kind of scares me about Kubes. It seems in the past our coaching staff has been reluctant to make a change until it's seemingly too late (See David Carr). I know Slaton was great last year, but my boss doesn't pay me for what I did last year. If I don't produce now, I'd be gone. Some coaches (and fans) are quick to point out what a player DID previously. If the production is not there now, a change must be made. I run an AC company, if a technician or installer is doing a good job and producing, I keep him employed and pay him. If he stops producing I have to tell him to produce or face the consequences. When he doesn't change, I'm forced to make a change. The new person may look like he can set the world on fire, but I really won't know until I try him. I've hired guys that looked like great prospects who turned out to be turds. I've hired guys who looked borderline turdish, and they turned out to be great assets. Point is you just don't know until you take a chance.
The texans have already taken the chance with Chris Henry by giving him any type of job. In your business, he is the equal of a seemingly bright kid, who only made good grades in one or two classes in tech school (college), had failed after a reasonable time with another AC company (titans), and had not distinguished himself working as an assistant to your senior techs( practice squad). Sorry, you would be not managing/in business long sending that guy to my house to do an install/repair. I would rather a guy who has a history of performing who needs to fix parts of his game, than somebody with no history of performing. My guess is that those guys you take a chance on are further along and shown more than Henry has either in college or the pros.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read