Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2005   #1
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

Default trade down in the draft??

Many people have Spears or Johnson as their top picks for the draft but what about trading down? I saw on ESPN's draft mock that they have Mark Clayton dropping out of the top 25. I hate OU but that guy has some sticky hands. Anyone think that the Texans can get a defensive stopper and a good WR by trading their spot?
twinkletwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on who is available at 13, and who is desperate to grab that person.

If Williams, DJ, or one of those hot DBs are open, I'm sure the Texans can get extra picks to grab that d-stopper and WR by trading down.... but I'm sure if that were to happen, Casserly & Co. would have to hide from the public for a _very_ long time....
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

With the weakness in this year's draft, there won't be any trading down . . simply because all the rest of the teams picking ahead of us also want to trade down.

You'll see the normal trading from the 2nd round on down, but I would be shocked to the core if any trading were done in the first. In order to trade down, you first have to find some sucker that would trade up. In this weak draft, that would get a GM in big trouble.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldnt be surprised to see someone pull something like we did last year. using their first then trading up to get another first.

Once you get past the top 15 or 20.. I think you kinda hit a plateau.. you have similar talent from late in the first till midway in the third. So in that area.. people arent gonna mind trading down so much.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #5
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Marcus]With the weakness in this year's draft, there won't be any trading down . . simply because all the rest of the teams picking ahead of us also want to trade down.

You'll see the normal trading from the 2nd round on down, but I would be shocked to the core if any trading were done in the first. In order to trade down, you first have to find some sucker that would trade up. In this weak draft, that would get a GM in big trouble...

This draft isn't as good as 04 or have the potential of 06, but it isn't bad. The CB and RB crop is very deep. DL, LB, WR, QB depth isn't bad. I think that 13 is a great spot, especially if some team really likes someone that could go in the middle of round 1.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read