Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default What adjustments will we make over the bye week?

Personally, I am thrilled that we are taking our bye this week. On the one hand it would've been nice to have had it last week to get an extra week to prepare for the Colts but at the same time I think it was nice to see 1 game without OD so that the coaching staff would be better equipped to review what needs to be done to make up for his departure to IR.

Plus we get a week for Mario and Cushing to heal their nagging injuries so they can hopefully practice every week for the stretch run.

AND

We get an extra week to make sure we're on our P's and Q's for a huge division game on MNF against the Tacks. This is nothing short of a must win. We lose this game we're effectively out of the hunt because we're no longer in control of our own destiny. That would give us 4 conference losses out of 5 and a very likely possibility we could lose 4 more (road games at Jax and Mia and tough opponents at home Indy and NE). We need to beat Tennessee and i'm happy we get an extra week to "get right".

Last year we didn't have a bye week and we managed to do well down the stretch. This year we get one at an excellent time and I hope our team makes the most of it.

Things i'd like to see addressed over the bye week:

1) Schaub's 1 or 2 WTF decisions per game. We've gotta figure out how to keep him from making these decisions!!! That 1st INT could've effectively ended the game...why would you throw it in triple coverage that early in the game and give it right back to Peyton in our territory? Luckily the D held them to a FG but that was the margin by which they beat us. If we're gonna win the tough games down the stretch and avoid surprises against the teams we should beat (Tenn, the NFC teams) we've gotta get rid of those WTF decisions by Schaub.

2) Fumbling at the RB position. Every RB on the active roster has lost a fumble that effectively cost us the game. Brown VS JAX, Slaton in a number of games...too many to list and you could argue the one against NYJ ruined any chance we had at capturing momentum, and now Moats @ Indy. These turnovers are unacceptable and its a wonder we're above .500 with the amount of times we've given the ball to the other team already. The only stat that is a better predictor of winning and losing is the final score so we need to get this fumbling problem under control!!!

3) How to replace OD. They were on track this week by spreading it out to the WRs but it was obvious, especially early in the game, that Schaub was struggling without OD in the lineup. Would he have forced that throw to AJ that resulted in the 1st INT if he had OD as an option? Who knows, but the fact is if we dont replace his production we dont have a shot at the playoffs. I'd like to see us use more screens with Slaton and Moats. We had great success with it against Cincy but I guess the Colts D speed snuffed it out. We need to find a way to get that facet of our O back or some other way to distribute OD's touches.

4) Defense has to reign in those penalties. I know it comes with being aggressive but if a penalty keeps the opponent's drive alive that is unacceptable. 13 penalties and I think 9 were on the defensive side of the ball last week. Even if the refs were flag happy that is too many especially the number of presnap penalties. Its simply unacceptable to give the offense free yards especially after all the improvements the D has made while the ball is actually snapped!!!
Old 11-10-2009   #2
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What adjustments will we make over the bye week?

Crazy as it sounds, gameplan for Vince Young. We need this game, and we should win it, but more importantly we REALLLY REALLY need to win this one. I recommend Brian Cushing spying on Vince the entire game.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Get Dreessen, Casey and Hill into the groove, someone has to wear ODs shoes for the rest of the season!
Old 11-10-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
2) Fumbling at the RB position. Every RB on the active roster has lost a fumble that effectively cost us the game. Brown VS JAX, Slaton in a number of games...too many to list and you could argue the one against NYJ ruined any chance we had at capturing momentum, and now Moats @ Indy. These turnovers are unacceptable and its a wonder we're above .500 with the amount of times we've given the ball to the other team already. The only stat that is a better predictor of winning and losing is the final score so we need to get this fumbling problem under control!!!
We are 5-1 when Slaton fumbles the football in a game. How exactly has he had game losing fumbles that are too many to count?

The only game he fumbled in that we lost was the Jets game, and we never had a chance in that game
Old 11-10-2009   #5
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

Just get the team staying in grove, playing well for a whole 4 quarters.
Go over the basics and good things will happen.
Old 11-10-2009   #6
50boys
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer

I'd like to see them do what it takes to play a complete game, that's all.
50boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We are 5-1 when Slaton fumbles the football in a game. How exactly has he had game losing fumbles that are too many to count?

The only game he fumbled in that we lost was the Jets game, and we never had a chance in that game
You're letting him off the hook.

Remember the first decent drive in the second qtr when it looked like we were starting to pick up steam? Slaton fumbled - at the Jet 15 - the only time we had managed to get the ball into the redzone in the first half. At the time the Jets only led 3-0. We could have at least tied the score, if not gone ahead 7-3! That turnover gave momentum back to the Jets after we were finally moving the ball on their defense. That fumble changed the whole complexion of the game.

Oh and did I mention they converted that fumble into 7 pts?? That's at least a 10 pt turnaround if not 14!

So yeah, I count that as a game-losing fumble.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Fix the running game! We have had successful running plays but they haven't generally been the ZBS plays. I'm hoping we see a more diverse ground game coming out of the bye week... more traps, sweeps, weakside pitches, draws, etc... almost every big run this season has been from those plays.

Deluan Robinson more involved in the DT rotation. I think Amobi would be more effective if he played fewer snaps. And Deljuan, always seems to be in the backfield when he's in the game.

Incorporating more blitzing from the secondary, particularly at CB.

Nickel packages with Mario and A. Smith lined up as DTs. I think having those guys in the QBs face would make things very difficult. Barwin hasn't been great, but he can speed rush the edge and force the QB into the pocket and Bulman can set the other edge.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

1) I would love to see us improve on disguising our blitzes. I know that we had to simplify our D after the first couple of games, but I think we are ready to throw in a wrinkle or two into our game plan. It just seems that our Blitzes get picked up a lot.

2) I could be wrong with this, but it feels like our O starts slow in most games. I would like to see us come out with a screen pass to Slaton, or a couple runs to at least move the sticks a time or 2 on our first possesion.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not about Slaton's fumbles giving us a winning record or however you want to look at it. The Raiders, and Bills game could've been losses against another team with a decent offense. The San Fransisco game was way too close for comfort because of a Slaton fumble. That's why this has to get corrected because we are going to be playing some offenses.

I would like to see us add new wrinkles to the defense now. It's fine and dandy that we have had success with our base package and being pretty vanilla. However, that was needed when we were struggling and some of the offenses we face down this stretch are going to make us pay for it. Let's introduce something new and take the rest of the teams by surprise.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
It's not about Slaton's fumbles giving us a winning record or however you want to look at it. The Raiders, and Bills game could've been losses against another team with a decent offense. The San Fransisco game was way too close for comfort because of a Slaton fumble. That's why this has to get corrected because we are going to be playing some offenses.

I would like to see us add new wrinkles to the defense now. It's fine and dandy that we have had success with our base package and being pretty vanilla. However, that was needed when we were struggling and some of the offenses we face down this stretch are going to make us pay for it. Let's introduce something new and take the rest of the teams by surprise.
We dominated the Raiders and the Bills. "What ifs" dont matter.
The SF game was close because our defense stopped playing at halftime
Old 11-10-2009   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Priority #1:
Minimize the turnovers.
In each and every game that we've lost you can point to a turnover that killed us. Whether it's Schaub throwing a pick or a RB fumbling to kill a scoring opportunity, we can't stand this sort of thing and expect to make the playoffs.

you know, there was a time I used to pray our defense could hold the other guys to 24-28 pts/game. my thinking was, if we could just hold the other guys to 24 pts, our offense can put up 30. Well, guess what, over the last five games the defense has done just that. Plus we've shutdown the run.
Our defense is doing their job.
Time for the offense to wake the hell up and hold up their end of this deal on a week-in/week-out basis.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
Crazy as it sounds, gameplan for Vince Young. We need this game, and we should win it, but more importantly we REALLLY REALLY need to win this one. I recommend Brian Cushing spying on Vince the entire game.
I don't want to take his skill set lightly. However, good tackling is the main requirement when playing a QB and RB combo like that. Fortunately, the Texan defense has become one of the 2 or 3 best tackling teams in the NFL. I'd say the key is having a healthy Cushing, Ryans, Pollard... and, keeping Fred Bennett away from the field!

If we tackle and don't give them a lot of short fields, the Titans can't move the ball 70+ yards on us. VY simply isn't an accurate, consistent enough QB to make enough plays with his arm to sustain and finish drives.
Old 11-10-2009   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Perhaps I misspoke when coupling the statement "too many to list" with fumbles lost that cost us a game. You were correct that we are 5-1 when Slaton fumbles, but you are incorrect when you claim that we "never had a chance" in the Jets game.

As another poster mentioned, the game was only 3-0 and who knows what happens if he holds onto the ball and we at least tie the game in that drive. Could be the momentum shift needed to have helped us win the game.

I stand by the statement that the league leading fumbler Steve Slaton has had "too many lost fumbles to count" regardless of if we've been able to overcome his mistakes a majority of the time.
Old 11-10-2009   #15
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we get Hill some goalline catches. Did you see him take that
2-yard catch and push the pile for a 7-yard gain by himself? I believe
it was his only catch in the Colts game.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

1) More press coverage

2) Blitzes from the secondary

3) Shadowing the QB
Old 11-10-2009   #17
vanknights2002
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I say we get Hill some goalline catches. Did you see him take that
2-yard catch and push the pile for a 7-yard gain by himself? I believe
it was his only catch in the Colts game.
Man that's the play i remember the most from that game. He just wasn't going to be tackled by just one person and carried what was it 3 or 4 colts players with him for a few yard. Before he was knocked out of bounds.
vanknights2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
1) More press coverage

2) Blitzes from the secondary

3) Shadowing the QB

Kaiser, I don't think Schaub's race should be brought into it. Man, we just can't get past the Vince Young thing around here!
Old 11-10-2009   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not really saying this out of anger, but it just occurred to me that we could stop Slaton's fumbling by having Schaub shove it up his @$%, LOL.

Might make him "dance" more though.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Kaiser, I don't think Schaub's race should be brought into it. Man, we just can't get past the Vince Young thing around here!
VY is the next QB that we face and he cannot make every throw. Moreover, with Jax (do you remember what Garrard has done to us with his feet) and the Wildcat Dolphins I believe you are off. Feel free to go into the Rival forum and find your VY fix.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read