Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2009   #1
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Even though we lost..

I think we still opened a lot of eyes..

Seems everyone's saying the Texans are NOT a team they want to face.

A good change, if only a moral one.
Old 11-09-2009   #2
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91406 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Even though we lost..

I agree with ya. It was predicted that Peyton would "light the Texans defense up" yesterday. Didn't work out that way. After the first quarter, our D stood up and held a great team down. If not for a bone head no-play before the 2 minute warning, and sloppy penalty drawing play, Texans win that game. It will be great to see how things go in 3 weeks.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #3
50boys
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer50boys is a Hall of Famer

Oh no, he said that word. Who's going to flip out on him first?

Anyways, I agree with you. They pissed me off but made me proud all in one game yesterday. Hard to explain.
50boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though we lost . . .

. . they were the ones that got push around. We seem to be getting better every game we play. If we manage to somehow squeak our way into the playoffs , , , we could be peaking at the right time.

I'm stoked about the defense. They are playing very well right now, but when you consider how young the players are, they are going to do nothing but get better.

And as for Frank Bush, talk about the tons of crow that people should be eating . . . Holy smokes!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #5
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

We lost to one of the best teams in the league who had won 16 in a row at their place by three points and we had the ball with a chance to tie at the end. I don't know why we should be hanging our heads today.

It was a punch in the gut...but football is not life or death, it's entertainment. I was entertained yesterday..it ended very badly but you can't say the Texans ever gave up. That's all I have ever asked for. The wins will come.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post
We lost to one of the best teams in the league who had won 16 in a row at their place by three points and we had the ball with a chance to tie at the end. I don't know why we should be hanging our heads today.

It was a punch in the gut...but football is not life or death, it's entertainment. I was entertained yesterday..it ended very badly but you can't say the Texans ever gave up. That's all I have ever asked for. The wins will come.
We beat ourselves in a game against one of the best teams in the NFL. If our young teams gets a bit more big game experience, watch out for them. They will be a team to reckon with. I'm looking forward to seeing the rematch in person.
Old 11-09-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

New England
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
New Orleans
Indianapolis...

are the only teams in the NFL that are better than the Texans, IMO...

I happen to think we will beat INDY in three weeks but it's hard to argue with their consistency.. Considering the age of this team, it's an exciting time. Man, I hope there isn't a work-stoppage in 2011!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2009   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50boys View Post
Oh no, he said that word. Who's going to flip out on him first?

Anyways, I agree with you. They pissed me off but made me proud all in one game yesterday. Hard to explain.
I'm with you there. It is hard to explain. I think it's the agony of knowing they were so close to maybe getting that monkey off their back. Maybe if things work out well they'll get a chance to redeem themselves in Indy in January. First ever win up there in the playoffs would be pretty nice.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
New England
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
New Orleans
Indianapolis...

I happen to think we will beat INDY in three weeks but it's hard to argue with their consistency.. Considering the age of this team, it's an exciting time. Man, I hope there isn't a work-stoppage in 2011!
Enter UFL
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #10
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
I think we still opened a lot of eyes..

Seems everyone's saying the Texans are NOT a team they want to face.

A good change, if only a moral one.
I understand the logic, and I doubt too many teams want to face the Texans right now, but I'm honestly getting tired of making excuses for coming close. If not for Kris Brown's field goal miss, the 103 penalty yards that Houston gave up they would have won... If they could have gotten 1 yard they could have beaten both Arizona & Jacksonville. Right now in year 8 of this franchise I want them to make the playoffs. Coming just short a couple more times will likely ruin their chances of getting there.

This game against Indy was probably the most upset I have been after a loss ever. Not that I was expecting a win, but being that close to winning in Indy for the first time ever would have been huge for this team. Winning this game would have made me excited going into the bye week 6-3, and would have given Houston a great chance of making the playoffs.

Again I understand the logic & agree with it, but I'm personally getting tired of moral victories. This team is the best they have ever been, but I want more than going 9-7. I want this team in the playoffs and more of these close losses will keep that from happening this year.

Usually I don't feel this way but too many of these close losses has me disappointed right now. Thinking of being 8-1 instead of 5-4 is kind of depressing. Especially since that could be the difference between making the playoffs and coming just short.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #11
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I understand the logic, and I doubt too many teams want to face the Texans right now, but I'm honestly getting tired of making excuses for coming close. If not for Kris Brown's field goal miss, the 103 penalty yards that Houston gave up they would have won... If they could have gotten 1 yard they could have beaten both Arizona & Jacksonville. Right now in year 8 of this franchise I want them to make the playoffs. Coming just short a couple more times will likely ruin their chances of getting there.

This game against Indy was probably the most upset I have been after a loss ever. Not that I was expecting a win, but being that close to winning in Indy for the first time ever would have been huge for this team. Winning this game would have made me excited going into the bye week 6-3, and would have given Houston a great chance of making the playoffs.

Again I understand the logic & agree with it, but I'm personally getting tired of moral victories. This team is the best they have ever been, but I want more than going 9-7. I want this team in the playoffs and more of these close losses will keep that from happening this year.

Usually I don't feel this way but too many of these close losses has me disappointed right now. Thinking of being 8-1 instead of 5-4 is kind of depressing. Especially since that could be the difference between making the playoffs and coming just short.
Careful....

You're starting to sound a little irrational there.

Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #12
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

While a 3 point loss to Indy in their house is a moral victory it still ends up as a L in the W/L column.

It seems like we are just "inches" away from being a very good football team.

We get very close to sacking the qb, but just "inches" away when the ball is thrown. We get close to scoring the winning or tying TD, but end up just "inches" away.

The defense is getting very good, the offense is very good.

Not sure what the reason is. Could be because we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and the mindset is not quite there yet. But we are close.
Seems each week we get a little bit closer.

It took Steve Young a while to get the "monkey" off his back. It is time for the Texans to get their "monkey" off their backs.

It starts with the Titans, then Indy. We need to win them both. We need to be there and not "inches" away.
Old 11-10-2009   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post

believe or not, we're all with you here. With the exception of the Jets game we could have won each of the other three losses...
- KW's penalty that took 6 off the board followed by Chris Brown's fumble. And personally, I'm waaay more pissed about that B/S call than I am the fumble. Because that flag took pts off the board at the end of the game.
- Schaub's pick-six was the winning score for AZ. We shut their offense out in the 2nd half. If Schaub throws that out sooner or with more velocity, we get a 1st down or maybe score. Even if it was incomplete, we live to go on to kick the winning FG.
- And we sustained so many Indy drives with penalties it ain't funny.

If we minimize these moments of cranial flatulence - and pay off a few more refs - we could very well be 8-1.

Some say rough times make you tougher. We'll see.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Good posts by everyone in this thread thus far. Let me see if I can ruin it.

Seriously, though:

The thing that has me the most depressed is that we have two weeks of no Texans football. That's what made THIS loss very hard for me.

Like JCTexan said, "Going into the bye week 6-3...AND us beating the Colts in their house" would have been an early Christmas present to me.

Now I'm worried that our guys will focus on the loss too long, and they won't be ready for the Titans on MNF. I wished we would have caught the Titans earlier than we are, because they are gaining swagger again.

I wish James Casey was not a rookie. And am hoping that he will be healthy and ready to play, even with his rookie mentality and the pressure of having to produce now that OD is gone. That's a lot of pressure on a guy.

I agree we SHOULD win the next two games. If we don't, it's going to be warm up in here.
Old 11-10-2009   #15
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New England
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
New Orleans

Fixed it for ya. On a neutral field with a top-notch officiating crew, we beat Indy by two touchdowns.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #16
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
believe or not, we're all with you here. With the exception of the Jets game we could have won each of the other three losses...
- KW's penalty that took 6 off the board followed by Chris Brown's fumble. And personally, I'm waaay more pissed about that B/S call than I am the fumble. Because that flag took pts off the board at the end of the game.
- Schaub's pick-six was the winning score for AZ. We shut their offense out in the 2nd half. If Schaub throws that out sooner or with more velocity, we get a 1st down or maybe score. Even if it was incomplete, we live to go on to kick the winning FG.
- And we sustained so many Indy drives with penalties it ain't funny.

If we minimize these moments of cranial flatulence - and pay off a few more refs - we could very well be 8-1.

Some say rough times make you tougher. We'll see.
Completely agree here. And like the call on KW in the Jax game, I'm waaay more pissed at the phantom offsides call on Barwin this past Sunday, because that's the one on an incomplete pass on 3rd down that sustained Indy's game-winning drive.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New England
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
New Orleans
Indianapolis...

Respect anyones opinion but I think the kool-aid must be strong. I think you can add a few more but they are definitely Top 12-15 I'd say.
Old 11-10-2009   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
While a 3 point loss to Indy in their house is a moral victory it still ends up as a L in the W/L column.

It seems like we are just "inches" away from being a very good football team.

We get very close to sacking the qb, but just "inches" away when the ball is thrown. We get close to scoring the winning or tying TD, but end up just "inches" away.

The defense is getting very good, the offense is very good.

Not sure what the reason is. Could be because we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and the mindset is not quite there yet. But we are close.
Seems each week we get a little bit closer.

It took Steve Young a while to get the "monkey" off his back. It is time for the Texans to get their "monkey" off their backs.

It starts with the Titans, then Indy. We need to win them both. We need to be there and not "inches" away.
Hell, even Kris Brown's field goal was wide left, by INCHES!
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Good posts by everyone in this thread thus far. Let me see if I can ruin it.

Seriously, though:

The thing that has me the most depressed is that we have two weeks of no Texans football. That's what made THIS loss very hard for me.

Like JCTexan said, "Going into the bye week 6-3...AND us beating the Colts in their house" would have been an early Christmas present to me.

Now I'm worried that our guys will focus on the loss too long, and they won't be ready for the Titans on MNF. I wished we would have caught the Titans earlier than we are, because they are gaining swagger again.

I wish James Casey was not a rookie. And am hoping that he will be healthy and ready to play, even with his rookie mentality and the pressure of having to produce now that OD is gone. That's a lot of pressure on a guy.

I agree we SHOULD win the next two games. If we don't, it's going to be warm up in here.
I kind of agree with you and kind of don't. I agree that we are meeting Tenn. at the wrong time. VY having circled our game for MNF in Houston scares me. I don't think the game against Indy has anything to do with it though. I'm more concerned that our team will lose steam from the long lay off while Tenn will be hot off a 3 game win streak.

However, I do believe that losing to Indy now will help us stay focused for Tenn to get a win back. And a win on MNF will do wonders to perhaps get a snowball effect going. Beat Tenn on MNF, gain some confidence for Indy, settle the score with Indy, go to Jville with some confidence and win, then you got Seattle and st. louis.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Completely agree here. And like the call on KW in the Jax game, I'm waaay more pissed at the phantom offsides call on Barwin this past Sunday, because that's the one on an incomplete pass on 3rd down that sustained Indy's game-winning drive.
And it was also the only time we didn't see a replay of being offsides. You would think they would do that so they could show how great Manning was for making Barwin line up offsides.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read