Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2009   #1
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default why this year has to be the year

I was thinking about our possible schedule for next year, and if the season had ended today, it wouldn't look too promising for us. Here would be our games for next season had the season been over today:

Tenn-2
Indy-2
Jax-2
@Philadelphia
@Washington
Dallas
NY Giants
@Kansas City
Oakland
San Diego
@Denver
Pittsburgh
@NY Jets

Barring the fact that you never know how teams are going to be from year to year, that looks like one of our toughest, if not toughest ever. And we might be a million times better next year, I don't know, but it seems to me that we need to get it done and make playoffs this season while we have our best chance. And if by some way we don't make it this year, and next year, despite our tough schedule, that would probably cost Kubiak his job, and I think we could be set back a couple more years if we lose him.

Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2009   #2
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: why this year has to be the year

I see a 12 win season in that schedule for us. BEAT THE COWGIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!
Pollardized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 9-7 is as good as we achieve this year. And that means we only give away three more games this year. Count the Patriots as a very probably loss. That leaves us with two more games to give away.

I can't count the next Colts game as a win yet. Nobody else can, either, btw.

That leaves one loss.

Who do we give that last game away to?

We're on the road vs. Jax. We could easily lay a big egg against the Titans even though people think they're just going to come into Reliant and roll over for us. Which they won't. Now they have confidence.

Next year is our chance. We'll be just outside a wild card spot this year. Saying "Oh, if we had only started off better vs. Jets..." or "Oh, if we had just pulled out the game vs. the Cards..." or "This is why that Colts game was so important..."

Next year will have to be "The year" because it isn't a possibility this year.
Old 11-09-2009   #4
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

You're killing me GP. There is enough negativity in the world today. The Texans will prevail and be in the playoffs this season.

Are you a cowboy fan?
Pollardized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think 9-7 is as good as we achieve this year. And that means we only give away three more games this year. Count the Patriots as a very probably loss. That leaves us with two more games to give away.

That leaves one loss.

We're on the road vs. Jax. We could easily lay a big egg against the Titans even though people think they're just going to come into Reliant and roll over for us. Which they won't. Now they have confidence.

Next year is our chance. We'll be just outside a wild card spot this year. Saying "Oh, if we had only started off better vs. Jets..." or "Oh, if we had just pulled out the game vs. the Cards..." or "This is why that Colts game was so important..."

Who knew that the level of absurdness on here would escalate so quickly.

Come on now, theres no possibility that this year could be the year we make it to the playoffs? We're sitting at 5-4. A win over Tennesee and Indy both at home would put us at 7-4. Have you seen the playoff race shaping up so far? We're only a game out. This is ridiculous
Old 11-09-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That leaves one loss.

Barring significant injuries, I think there's a better chance at 12 wins than only 9. I don't see how this team isn't at least 9-5 going into the last 2 weeks of the season. Frankly, I'm forecasting 10-4... And, that NE game may mean nothing for the Patriots. Even if it does, there isn't a team in the NFL that should intimidate us.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That leaves one loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
You're killing me GP. There is enough negativity in the world today. The Texans will prevail and be in the playoffs this season.

Are you a cowboy fan?
While I'm not ruling out this year, GP's right for the most part................sorry, I fainted for a second. With the consistency, or lack there of, the Texans have shown this season, we could lose any one of the rest of our games.
Old 11-09-2009   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
While I'm not ruling out this year, GP's right for the most part................sorry, I fainted for a second. With the consistency, or lack there of, the Texans have shown this season, we could lose any one of the rest of our games.
We're 5-4. You really think there is no possibility that we could make the playoffs this year?

When we were 2-14, I knew by week 9 there was no possibility of us making the playoffs.

A team sitting at 5-4 has some possibility. Ive never seen such a pessimistic group. We go into Indy, have a chance to win, lose by 3 to a heavily favored division rival in their house, which by the way EVERYONE was expecting, and now we're out of the race?
Old 11-09-2009   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We're 5-4. You really think there is no possibility that we could make the playoffs this year?

When we were 2-14, I knew by week 9 there was no possibility of us making the playoffs.

A team sitting at 5-4 has some possibility. Ive never seen such a pessimistic group. We go into Indy, have a chance to win, lose by 3 to a heavily favored division rival in their house, which by the way EVERYONE was expecting, and now we're out of the race?
Read my post you quoted. GP said that, I said:

Quote:
While I'm not ruling out this year, GP's right for the most part
Meaning, I still think there's a chance. I just don't think it's a very good one.
Old 11-09-2009   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Read my post you quoted. GP said that, I said:

Meaning, I still think there's a chance. I just don't think it's a very good one.
Ah, missed that part.

Heres the thing. Just from the law of averages, the Texans are bound to get a few lucky bounces from now on right?

I mean we've had 3 games come down to 1 yard and we've lost all 3.
Can't punch it in from the one in Houston (1 yard short)
Can't punch it in from the one in AZ (1 yard short)
Can't kick it in from 42 out (1 yard short)

Things have got to turn around eventually right??
Old 11-09-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We enjoy a bye to get healthier, especially AJ and Mario and Cushing. We gently let Young down from his new dream and then whip the daylights out of the Colts who will be in a dream world of their own. By then Kubes will have the offense playing like the D, with confidence and no nervousness.12-4. 11-5 at the worse.
Old 11-09-2009   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ah, missed that part.

Heres the thing. Just from the law of averages, the Texans are bound to get a few lucky bounces from now on right?

That pretty much sums up Houston football. I've been watching since the 60's.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, let's slow down a second.

It was I who predicted that we'd go on the winning streak we have been on.

98% of the people were on here after the loss to the Cards, IIRC, and all gloom-and-dooming. I said "We're about to go ona streak. But there will be one let-down game somewhere in the midst of it."

I had a feeling that the let-down game was going to be the MNF game vs. Titans. However, I think the let-down game I predicted was the Colts game.

THAT is the game where, if we win vs. Colts in their own house, we end up making this crazy 11-5 or 12-4 reg season W-L total that others are predicting.

Now? I am thinking we go up-and-down and are practically unpredictable as we have been in the past. Winning games we shouldn't and losing games we shouldn't.

I'm just concerned at the way we played those losing games so far this season. I don't know if tihs team has the mental and emotional stamina to somehow grind out the remainder of the schedule. It's like running four miles on your second week of working out. You're going to probably not make it.

Sorry if I am being a downer. I forecasted our win streak, fair and square, a long time ago when others were doomin' and gloomin' on here. I'm just really anxious about the MNF game. I seriously am.
Old 11-09-2009   #14
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry. Based on the title,I thought this thread was by The Real Joker.

Nevermind, continue on.
Old 11-09-2009   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Ah, missed that part.

Everything you mentioned here definitely makes it seem like we're due, but like bckey said, that's Houston football. Heck, that's Houston sports in general. I'm telling ya, this city is freakin cursed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
That pretty much sums up Houston football. I've been watching since the 60's.
Old 11-09-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Well, let's slow down a second.

It was I who predicted that we'd go on the winning streak we have been on.

98% of the people were on here after the loss to the Cards, IIRC, and all gloom-and-dooming. I said "We're about to go ona streak. But there will be one let-down game somewhere in the midst of it."

I had a feeling that the let-down game was going to be the MNF game vs. Titans. However, I think the let-down game I predicted was the Colts game.

THAT is the game where, if we win vs. Colts in their own house, we end up making this crazy 11-5 or 12-4 reg season W-L total that others are predicting.

Now? I am thinking we go up-and-down and are practically unpredictable as we have been in the past. Winning games we shouldn't and losing games we shouldn't.

I'm just concerned at the way we played those losing games so far this season. I don't know if tihs team has the mental and emotional stamina to somehow grind out the remainder of the schedule. It's like running four miles on your second week of working out. You're going to probably not make it.

Sorry if I am being a downer. I forecasted our win streak, fair and square, a long time ago when others were doomin' and gloomin' on here. I'm just really anxious about the MNF game. I seriously am.
So you're saying you want me to buy into you're prediction that there is ZERO chance of the Texans making it to the playoffs this year because you "forcasted our win streak" by predicting that we would eventually win a few games in a row?

hmm

We're 5-4 and currently in a decent position to make a run at one of the 2wc spots. No matter how sure you are, im holding out hope
Old 11-09-2009   #17
BY1401
14-2*

Rep Power: 12 BY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden coverBY1401 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I was thinking about our possible schedule for next year, and if the season had ended today, it wouldn't look too promising for us. Here would be our games for next season had the season been over today:

Tenn-2
Indy-2
Jax-2
@Philadelphia
@Washington
Dallas
NY Giants
@Kansas City
Oakland
San Diego
@Denver
Pittsburgh
@NY Jets

Thoughts?
I thought that this was the last year for the current schedule rotation.

-Jim Caldwell 12/23/2009
BY1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #18
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BY1401 View Post
I thought that this was the last year for the current schedule rotation.
It continues rolling over, although KC switched out their home/away with either SD or OAK, so we get KC at home and the other on the road.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

A tough schedule can look like an easy one overnight... while I'll agree the NFC East is consistently one of the toughest divisions in football, anything can change, anything can happen. This team will only be more competitive next year as we'll continue to stockpile talent.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read