Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2009   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Game Planning @ TE

Losing Owen Daniels for the season was a major reason the Texans came up short in Indianaplois, I under estimated his importance to this offense. Clearly the TE position was defused, not completely removed, but taken out of its normal rotation in the number of touches.

Can't blame Dreessen or Hill, Schaub looked their way only three times. Should have seen this coming, last week Schaub connected with his TE's only three times too, Owen once before his injury & Casey two while he played hurt, not a single look to Dreessen or Hill coming into Indy. When healthy Owen gets 5 to 6 per game, I would suggest he gets more after watching Peyton using Dallas Clark 14 times. But for now when we come out can we please hit some higher completion attempts underneath like the Colts using Dreessen & Hill before we go straight for the juggler?

Bottom line the Texans got schooled by Peyton once again, I hope its the last time we need tutoring. Even without a weapon like Owen Daniels the Texans cannot abandon using the TE cause they (Joel/Anthony) can still give you chunks of yardage & move the chains, don't care how pretty it looks, be smart & efficient. I'll bet the Colts did not gameplan to stop either TE & Shanny obliged too willingly. Opportunity lost, game over lets hope not the season because the Texans lost their playmaking TE.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #2
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Game Planning @ TE

I agree with everything you said, but I am excited to see how we use James Casey when he gets back on the field.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #3
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Losing Owen Daniels for the season was a major reason the Texans came up short in Indianaplois, I under estimated his importance to this offense. Clearly the TE position was defused, not completely removed, but taken out of its normal rotation in the number of touches.
What game were you watching, OD would have helped in the game, but saying we came up short cause of him is a bit misleading IMHO. There were several team )(*@()$@ throughout the game.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
What game were you watching, OD would have helped in the game, but saying we came up short cause of him is a bit misleading IMHO. There were several team )(*@()$@ throughout the game.
what game were you watching? here is the play by play in 1st half, geez.

Houston Texans at 12:51
1-10-HOU 32 (12:51) 8-M.Schaub sacked at HST 29 for -3 yards (93-D.Freeney).

2-13-HOU 29 (12:20) (Shotgun) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 80-A.Johnson to HST 30 for 1 yard (93-D.Freeney, 41-A.Bethea).

3-12-HOU 30 (11:40) (Run formation) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 20-S.Slaton to HST 37 for 7 yards (55-C.Session).

4-5-HOU 37 (11:07) 1-M.Turk punts 42 yards to IND 21, Center-85-J.Dreessen, fair catch by 20-T.Rushing.

Houston Texans at 06:20
1-P.McAfee kicks 63 yards from IND 30 to HST 7. 12-J.Jones to HST 28 for 21 yards (1-P.McAfee).
1-10-HOU 28 (6:11) 8-M.Schaub pass deep left intended for 80-A.Johnson INTERCEPTED by 25-J.Powers at HST 46. 25-J.Powers to HST 45 for 1 yard (80-A.Johnson).

Houston Texans at 03:57
1-P.McAfee kicks 73 yards from IND 30 to HST -3. 12-J.Jones to HST 21 for 24 yards (59-R.Humber, 54-F.Keiaho). PENALTY on IND-52-C.Glenn, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced at HST 21.
1-10-HOU 36 (3:50) 21-R.Moats left end to HST 36 for no gain (58-G.Brackett, 99-A.Johnson).

2-10-HOU 36 (3:09) 12-J.Jones right end pushed ob at HST 41 for 5 yards (41-A.Bethea). Handoff to S. Slaton.

3-5-HOU 41 (2:38) (Shotgun) PENALTY on HST-63-C.White, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at HST 41 - No Play.

3-10-HOU 36 (2:21) 8-M.Schaub scrambles left guard to HST 38 for 2 yards (25-J.Powers).

4-8-HOU 38 (1:47) 1-M.Turk punts 42 yards to IND 20, Center-85-J.Dreessen, fair catch by 20-T.Rushing.

Houston Texans at 12:50
1-P.McAfee kicks 72 yards from IND 30 to HST -2. 12-J.Jones to HST 17 for 19 yards (52-C.Glenn).
1-10-HOU 17 (12:45) (Run formation) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete deep right to 11-A.Davis.

2-10-HOU 17 (12:38) 21-R.Moats right end to HST 21 for 4 yards (55-C.Session).

3-6-HOU 21 (11:57) 8-M.Schaub sacked at HST 14 for -7 yards (sack split by 93-D.Freeney and 98-R.Mathis).

4-13-HOU 14 (11:26) 1-M.Turk punts 52 yards to IND 34, Center-85-J.Dreessen. 20-T.Rushing to IND 36 for 2 yards (98-C.Barwin, 57-K.Bentley).

Houston Texans at 08:18
1-10-HOU 11 (8:18) (Run formation) 21-R.Moats left end pushed ob at HST 17 for 6 yards (55-C.Session).

2-4-HOU 17 (7:53) (Run formation) 21-R.Moats right tackle to HST 23 for 6 yards (33-M.Bullitt).

1-10-HOU 23 (7:13) (Run formation) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 85-J.Dreessen pushed ob at HST 29 for 6 yards (27-J.Lacey).

2-4-HOU 29 (6:52) (Run formation) 21-R.Moats right end to HST 34 for 5 yards (55-C.Session). PENALTY on IND-99-A.Johnson, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at HST 34.

1-10-HOU 49 (6:27) 21-R.Moats right end to IND 46 for 5 yards (33-M.Bullitt, 55-C.Session).

2-5-IND 46 (5:45) (Run formation) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 80-A.Johnson to IND 40 for 6 yards (27-J.Lacey, 41-A.Bethea).

1-10-IND 40 (5:08) (Run formation) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 85-J.Dreessen.

2-10-IND 40 (5:04) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 87-A.Hill pushed ob at IND 31 for 9 yards (25-J.Powers, 68-E.Foster).

3-1-IND 31 (4:33) (Run formation) 21-R.Moats up the middle to IND 31 for no gain (90-D.Muir).

Timeout #1 by HST at 03:47.
4-1-IND 31 (3:47) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 80-A.Johnson to IND 21 for 10 yards (25-J.Powers, 50-P.Wheeler).

1-10-IND 21 (3:08) (Run formation) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 80-A.Johnson to IND 10 for 11 yards (33-M.Bullitt, 25-J.Powers).

1-10-IND 10 (2:30) (Pass formation) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 21-R.Moats to IND 1 for 9 yards (41-A.Bethea). Indianapolis challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Pass formation) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 21-R.Moats to IND 1 for 9 yards (41-A.Bethea). FUMBLES (41-A.Bethea), ball out of bounds in End Zone, Touchback

this was obviously the single biggest play of the game, another red zone fumble. these things happen unfortuneatly it's against the Texans. Focus of this thread is how do the Texans adjust to the loss of Owen Daniles? Texans came out aggressive but throwing to Andre in triple coverage is lower percentage. Why not try running the normal offensive sets including current TE's when you have one on one match-ups? remember before Kubiak, Capers hardly ever included TE in the game plan, flash forward to Kubiak & little known 4th rd. pick Owen Daniels, 34 receptions 5 TD's as a rookie the TE position evolved becoming part of Texans culture/identity so the last thing I want to see is Shanny ambandon this approach because the #1 guy is out.
Old 11-09-2009   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

add this to mix http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...examiner-email makes addressing TE position even more paramount. just saying

Quote:
Daniels wasn't happy that he and the Texans couldn't reach a long term deal earlier this year and from his comments to Berman, he still carries a chip on his shoulder (maybe two chips now).

"I try to be nice and friendly and pretty political about things," Daniels told Berman. "I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I feel like I proved myself once and I was proving myself again this year and now I'm just going to have to go out and prove myself again and that's why there would be a chip."

It was the next comment from Daniels that implied he wouldn't hesitate to look elsewhere if he felt the Texans weren't offering enough.

"I wanted to prove this year that I was one of the best, if not the best tight end in the league," Daniels told Berman. "I think I put a lot on tape to go in that direction and put me at least in the conversation."

The point there is the Texans don't need tape on Daniels. They already know what they have. What that tells me is that if Daniels rehab goes well and there's a new collective bargaining agreement by March, Daniels might try to force the Texans hand by shopping himself around. His value may be reduced but if he recovers fully, he will still be one of the best tight ends in the NFL - at least if he's in an offense like what the Texans run.
end of story.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read