Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2009   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default extra yards

the extra play to get into better field goal range was about as dumb as anything ive seen from this coaching staff. it worked though.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: extra yards

No, it would've worked if KB had made the FG. I think he had a better chance from farther distances, he seems to do better with those.
Old 11-08-2009   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
No, it would've worked if KB had made the FG. I think he had a better chance from farther distances, he seems to do better with those.
they accomplished what they tried to do with that play. you guys see everything only in wins and losses.
Old 11-08-2009   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Yes I do. In regards to that play, i don't know why Schaub didn't throw it towards the sideline. A loss is a loss whichever way you want to spin it.
Old 11-08-2009   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

What pissed me off was that the defender held JJ down knowing that he wanted to get up and get back to the line... Is it possible for the zebras to call an unsportsmanlink conduct in that situation, holding a player down after the play has ended to keep the clock going ?
Old 11-08-2009   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Yes I do. In regards to that play, i don't know why Schaub didn't throw it towards the sideline. A loss is a loss whichever way you want to spin it.
i wasn't talking about the loss. i was talking about the play.

sometimes you can play well and lose. sometimes you can make a good decesion and have it blow up in your face. sometimes you defense can be almost there but need just a player or two to make a difference. some people can see these things and realize the team played well and some people only see wins and losses. (not saying this is you- i am saying this is the majority of this board)

the texans played good today. they went on the road and played an undefeated team and had a chance to win. if people are expecting more than that then they are expecting to much. but the decesion to try for a few more yards in that situation was a bad one, imo.
Old 11-08-2009   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
What pissed me off was that the defender held JJ down knowing that he wanted to get up and get back to the line... Is it possible for the zebras to call an unsportsmanlink conduct in that situation, holding a player down after the play has ended to keep the clock going ?
i think they could call a delay of game penalty. except, against the colts that would be against the league's agenda.
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2009   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Yes. The refs can call a penalty on that. Thing is the calls were so bad against us today, I was almost worried that JJ would get a flag for unsportmanlike conduct when he started shoving the defender off of him.

How many offsides and encroachment calls were ther on us today anyway? That almost HAD to be a record for the league. That on against Barwin in particular was a joke!

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #9
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
How many offsides and encroachment calls were ther on us today anyway? That almost HAD to be a record for the league. That on against Barwin in particular was a joke!
The line judge must have been crosseyed. Calling offsides for "lined up in the neutral zone" that many times was laffable. And yes, I replayed and paused the Conner Barwin flag several times, and he was NOT in the neutral zone and nobody budged. To boot, the flag didn't come down UNTIL THE PLAY WAS OVER!!!!!
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #10
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
The line judge must have been crosseyed. Calling offsides for "lined up in the neutral zone" that many times was laffable. And yes, I replayed and paused the Conner Barwin flag several times, and he was NOT in the neutral zone and nobody budged. To boot, the flag didn't come down UNTIL THE PLAY WAS OVER!!!!!
i wondered about that. how the hell do you call offsides after the play?
Old 11-08-2009   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I would've preferred us take a shot at the endzone and try to win the game outright because I thought we were already in FG range. I didn't think we had time but we did and unfortunately Brown pushed it to the left
Old 11-08-2009   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
they accomplished what they tried to do with that play. you guys see everything only in wins and losses.
That is correct. It's been 8 years now. Wins and losses are all that matter to the other 31 NFL teams and they're all I care about where the Texans are concerned. Today they lost a game that they had several opportunities to win. Had Matt Schaub been one second slower we lose the game right there. It was a stupid play and just because it worked doesn't mean it was a good idea to attempt it.

People call Peyton "Jugghead" all the time but I think Matt Schaub should start carrying around "Gomer". It's a much closer fit. Not only is there a physical resemblance but Matt does something Gomer Pyle worthy just about every week.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Not only is there a physical resemblance but Matt does something Gomer Pyle worthy just about every week.
He did lead us right down the field for a game tying field goal attempt...

Matt is starting to show a nack for leading late drives late in games so I can deal with a few "Gomer Pyle" moments... Not every team can have Peyton Manning taking snaps from under center and Schaub is still better than a big majority of QBs in this league. So we just need to upgrade peices around him.......I mean imagine how good he could be with a actual *gasp* running game or offensive line. You know where he doesn't have to throw the ball against the NFL's best pass defense dam near every down.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #14
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
i wasn't talking about the loss. i was talking about the play.

sometimes you can play well and lose. sometimes you can make a good decesion and have it blow up in your face. sometimes you defense can be almost there but need just a player or two to make a difference. some people can see these things and realize the team played well and some people only see wins and losses. (not saying this is you- i am saying this is the majority of this board)

the texans played good today. they went on the road and played an undefeated team and had a chance to win. if people are expecting more than that then they are expecting to much. but the decesion to try for a few more yards in that situation was a bad one, imo.
Well pass the hot chocolate and let's sing Kumbayah!
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #15
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Well pass the hot chocolate and let's sing Kumbayah!
whatever dude? guy misses a field goal and were the worst team ever. If he would of made the field goal and we won in overtime, you would of been in here talking super bowl.

missed field goals happen. on the road against a team that good you just try to get yourself into those situations and see what happens. it's poker, just because you have aces doesn't mean your gonna win. just means you've given yourself a good opportunity to win. the texans did that today, they gave thereself a good opportunity to win. i can live with that.
Old 11-08-2009   #16
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
whatever dude? guy misses a field goal and were the worst team ever. If he would of made the field goal and we won in overtime, you would of been in here talking super bowl.

missed field goals happen. on the road against a team that good you just try to get yourself into those situations and see what happens. it's poker, just because you have aces doesn't mean your gonna win. just means you've given yourself a good opportunity to win. the texans did that today, they gave thereself a good opportunity to win. i can live with that.
The FG has nothing to do with it. It's taking the first half off that pisses me off. Until this team and its fans win these games and take that step, we will still be talking about making the playoffs someday. I just hope I live long enough to see it happen if it ever does.
Old 11-08-2009   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is still in the thick of the playoff race, and they are 3-1 in their
last 4 games. Kubiak's Texans have always bounced back from adversity,
and this year, they didn't dig themselves a 3-7 hole to start the season.
It's WAAAYYY too early to cancel the season right now. They are 5-4, with
a chance to go 11-5, 10-6.

Kubiak's squad will NOT collapse in the second half of the season. They'd
have to go 3-4 over their last seven, to finish 8-8. Ain't gonna happen.
This team is 12-4 at best, 10-6 at worst. Still should be enough to get
us into the playoffs.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

You counting on them to win every game but the Colts and Patriots. I think there is at least one more loss in there probably to Radio on Monday night. That would be vintage Texans.
Old 11-08-2009   #19
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
You counting on them to win every game but the Colts and Patriots. I think there is at least one more loss in there probably to Radio on Monday night. That would be vintage Texans.
i think the texans and some of the fans have already taken the next step. your the one stuck in the past. this is a good football team that lost to a good football team on the road. it happens.
Old 11-08-2009   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That is correct. It's been 8 years now. Wins and losses are all that matter to the other 31 NFL teams and they're all I care about where the Texans are concerned. Today they lost a game that they had several opportunities to win. Had Matt Schaub been one second slower we lose the game right there. It was a stupid play and just because it worked doesn't mean it was a good idea to attempt it.

People call Peyton "Jugghead" all the time but I think Matt Schaub should start carrying around "Gomer". It's a much closer fit. Not only is there a physical resemblance but Matt does something Gomer Pyle worthy just about every week.
I share in your frustration of Schaub's play. I think the offensive playcalling was suspect. And, since Schaub isn't given freedom to audible, that makes things difficult.

Anyway, "listen to me now and hear me later"... Schaub and the Texan offense will slaughter the Colts in three weeks. That defense on grass and without the aid of crowd noise is very ordinary. I'm pretty sure the Texans are going to be 10-4 in six weeks... and Gomer will be one reason why.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read