Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-07-2009   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default The Team Everyone Is Afraid to Play

Boise St. has offered to travel anywhere, anytime, and play anyone, with no obligation for a return date to Idaho. No one wants to take their offer.

LINK

Quote:
Is it cowardice or collusion?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

ESPN has even become involved trying to broker a deal that will almost assuredly be nationally televised. Still no luck.
Old 11-07-2009   #2
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan
Default Re: The Team Everyone Is Afraid to Play

Shows how wrong the BCS is, and how cowardly the "powerhouse" schools really are.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

BCS is a shamockery I tell ya!
Old 11-07-2009   #4
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Boise St. has offered to travel anywhere, anytime, and play anyone, with no obligation for a return date to Idaho. No one wants to take their offer.

LINK
That used to be Fresno State back in the day when they owned the WAC.
Old 11-08-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Boise St playing Virginia Tech next year?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Isn't Boise St playing Virginia Tech next year?
I don't know, but the article is talking about 2011, I think.
Old 11-08-2009   #7
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would the SEC teams take them up on the offer? They already have a murderous conference filled with typically 5 or 6 ranked teams on everyone's schedule.

Alabama now plays a top ten non-conference team every year in VA Tech.

LSU plays Washington, but has the pleasure of playing Bama and FLA most years.

I suppose you could pick on Florida, they only play FSU as their annual 'tough' non-conference battle, and FSU ain't what it used to be.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2009   #8
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Why would the SEC teams take them up on the offer? They already have a murderous conference filled with typically 5 or 6 ranked teams on everyone's schedule.

Alabama now plays a top ten non-conference team every year in VA Tech.

LSU plays Washington, but has the pleasure of playing Bama and FLA most years.

I suppose you could pick on Florida, they only play FSU as their annual 'tough' non-conference battle, and FSU ain't what it used to be.
I never get this myself. Boise State plays one good team a year, if that. Major conference teams play at least 6 or 7 high caliber teams every season. I'm not saying BSU sucks, but we have no idea how good they are. Just like you can't tell much from Texas beating the snot out of UL-Lafayette or UCF, you don't know a lot about them after BSU finishes beating down Nevada or Utah St. All you can tell is that the team they played stinks.
Dan B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I never get this myself. Boise State plays one good team a year, if that. Major conference teams play at least 6 or 7 high caliber teams every season. I'm not saying BSU sucks, but we have no idea how good they are. Just like you can't tell much from Texas beating the snot out of UL-Lafayette or UCF, you don't know a lot about them after BSU finishes beating down Nevada or Utah St. All you can tell is that the team they played stinks.
OK, so they're in the conference they're in, and there isn't anything they can do about that. So what's the only thing they can do? Challenge anyone and everyone to play them non-conference. To sweeten the pot, they've offered to travel with no obligation for a return game, and ESPN is even in on it trying to ensure it gets nationally televised.

What else do you suggest?
Old 11-08-2009   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the big schools have no problem playing each other, with big games being scheduled every year between Texas and Ohio State, USC/Ohio State, etc. but a Boise State doesn't really offer that cache. they're a good team, sure, but they're still not a "big" team, so losing to USC on the road is a lot different than losing to Boise State on the road, even if BSU finishes with a better season than USC.

playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff playoff
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #11
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, so they're in the conference they're in, and there isn't anything they can do about that. So what's the only thing they can do? Challenge anyone and everyone to play them non-conference. To sweeten the pot, they've offered to travel with no obligation for a return game, and ESPN is even in on it trying to ensure it gets nationally televised.

What else do you suggest?
They try and move to the PAC-10. Only feasible solution IMO from a geographic standpoint.

SEC teams have to already play a minumum of 5 ranked teams per year. It's what happens when you dominate recruiting for a decade. There is just an incredible difference now between the SEC and any other conference. LSU, Florida, Alabama are all top 6 schools, while Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Ol Miss, Kentucky, even South Carolina are solid programs. No conference has anywhere close to that depth - there are barely any creampuffs, and even then LSU and Bama still take on non conference teams like Washington and Virginia Tech. Ohio St. isn't an option, they take on USC every year.

So in a nutshell. Boise St. is pretty screwed.

Also, agree - HAVE A FRIGGING PLAYOFF ALREADY.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought they were scheduled to play Texas and backed out?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I thought they were scheduled to play Texas and backed out?
That was Utah.

I'm not aware of Boise St ever having any contact with Texas. If they ever have, the offer was turned down before it became news.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
They try and move to the PAC-10. Only feasible solution IMO from a geographic standpoint.
The PAC-10 doesn't want Boise St. anymore than it wants a playoff system. Basically, the top programs and top conferences are chickenshit on a couple levels. They aren't interested in finding the competitive national champion, and they aren't interested in beating the best teams to get there. All they care about is the money, and doing as little as possible to ensure they can secure their BCS rank position.

That is what this system breeds. So yeah, a playoff system is the obvious choice. This is why I hate college football, and don't watch the bowl games unless my school is in one (which it will be this year).
Old 11-08-2009   #15
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Longhorns still have an opening in 2011:

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.c...schedules.html

However, they already have UCLA on their schedule in 2011, so they are probably holding out for a total patsy to fill that last slot.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #16
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Teams that schedule Boise State don't stand to gain a whole lot other than an ESPN televised game and the cash that comes with that. Boise State stands to gain 1) increased money by signing on to the game, 2) national TV audience as well as all the talk that goes with that in the daily talkshows, and 3) if they win, it's a huge upset yada yada yada, if they lose, then they were supposed to lose since they are playing away from home at a major conference school.

I understand why the major conference teams don't want to take on that risk; they already make enough money with the conference deals, bowl money their teams get, and national games/exposure, not too mention most have large payrolls already, so it's not like they need this game like a D 1-AA does so they travel to the UTs and OSUs of the world to get pasted but make a nice fat check. Also, if that team happens to lose, then that team will get slandered in the media for losing to a non-BCS conference team and will bring down the rep of the conference it is affiliated with. Trust me, I'm a diehard A&M fan, I know how this is (Arkansas St. my God....)

With all that said, however, I would love for a in-form team to take up this offer. I love seeing big non-conference games between two quality teams. In 2015/16 A&M signed USC to a home and home deal and Oregon for 2017/18 I believe, and I just wish we can sign more. Even if we lose the powderpuff games and get beaten in those non-conference games, I would rather attend/watch those games than see A&M/UNM or Montana St. or whoever else we've had the past couple of years.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The PAC-10 doesn't want Boise St. anymore than it wants a playoff system. Basically, the top programs and top conferences are chickenshit on a couple levels. They aren't interested in finding the competitive national champion, and they aren't interested in beating the best teams to get there. All they care about is the money, and doing as little as possible to ensure they can secure their BCS rank position.
yup. there's no desire for a playoff because right now they make TONS of money and making BCS games by getting all the top recruits, scheduling cupcakes and rolling to an 11-1 record. why schedule games where you have to leave the state or why change the rules so the champion is actually determined the only logical way it should be when it's so easy to make millions by doing nothing
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #18
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

edit....nevermind
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
Teams that schedule Boise State don't stand to gain a whole lot other than an ESPN televised game and the cash that comes with that. Boise State stands to gain 1) increased money by signing on to the game, 2) national TV audience as well as all the talk that goes with that in the daily talkshows, and 3) if they win, it's a huge upset yada yada yada, if they lose, then they were supposed to lose since they are playing away from home at a major conference school.

I understand why the major conference teams don't want to take on that risk; they already make enough money with the conference deals, bowl money their teams get, and national games/exposure, not too mention most have large payrolls already, so it's not like they need this game like a D 1-AA does so they travel to the UTs and OSUs of the world to get pasted but make a nice fat check. Also, if that team happens to lose, then that team will get slandered in the media for losing to a non-BCS conference team and will bring down the rep of the conference it is affiliated with. Trust me, I'm a diehard A&M fan, I know how this is (Arkansas St. my God....)

With all that said, however, I would love for a in-form team to take up this offer. I love seeing big non-conference games between two quality teams. In 2015/16 A&M signed USC to a home and home deal and Oregon for 2017/18 I believe, and I just wish we can sign more. Even if we lose the powderpuff games and get beaten in those non-conference games, I would rather attend/watch those games than see A&M/UNM or Montana St. or whoever else we've had the past couple of years.
Exactly

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read