Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Is Jacoby our breakthrough player of 09?

I remember last preseason a lot of us wanted him cut or traded because of his fumbling problem but it seems he is really starting to develop into a bonafide playmaker as a returner AND WR.He only touched the ball on offense twice last week but both times were big plays, one on a reverse and the other a pass. Not to mention his big returns which are almost a weekly occurence.We've had 2 penalties the last 2 games that negated a td return by JJ and took 20 yards off the other return.

But the thing that stuck out the most is the respect he's getting from coaches around the league. I was just reading the Colts conference call when I read this gem from Jim Caldwell:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5776

(on the Colts dominating the series 13-1 and if he worries about the Texans closing the gap) "Here's the number one thing: We don't consider anything to be a point of domination of anyone at any point in time because what happened in the past doesn't matter. It's the here and now that matters. We know one thing in that they're a hot team, they've won their last three games in a row, they improve every single week and they're very, very talented. So we've got our work cut out for us, that's what we're trying to focus in on is how in the world do we stop them? How in the world do we control (Texans WR) Jacoby Jones and the rest of the arsenal that they have. So that's the thing that we focus in on."

That's not a typo. The opposing team's coach mentioned JJ, not AJ as one of the Texans' most dangerous players!!!

I know Duane Brown is up there as a breakthrough player this year, but given that JJ has went from a "bubble" player in training camp to a bonafide playmaker through the first half of the season I think he takes the official TRJ's Texans breakthrough player of 09 award
Old 11-05-2009   #2
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Jacoby our breakthrough player of 09?

I think Matt Schaub is the no brainer. JJ 's good though, there are just too many other players having great seasons so far.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #3
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

So happy with JJ's play!

I think it's tough to say he's the breakout player of 09 though when you take into acount what Schaub is doing this year. Usually he's hurt and or having problems while on the field by now. Really impressed with Schaub!!

JJ and Schaub will hopefully be hooking up alot against the Colts as I think they will have to run more 3 and 4 WR sets to counter OD and Casey being out. I am going to love seeing AJ, JJ and KW on the field as WR's more.

The question remains, do you put JJ and AJ opposite each other with KW in the slot? Or JJ in the slot?

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #4
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Love me some JJ, but geez he makes me nervous sometimes. He got a nickname yet? How bout "Dynomite"!
Old 11-05-2009   #5
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ > Pigeon

period.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Pigeon> All others.
Old 11-05-2009   #7
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Pigeon> All others.
Blasphemy
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2009   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Blasphemy
Reality
Old 11-05-2009   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope so because with OD out they're going to be running more 3 WR sets and JJ is a weapon that needs to be used more.IMO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #10
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard for me to consider Jacoby a "breakthrough" player when he's had game-changing return plays in the NFL prior to this year. Definitely not Schaub - he's been great (when he wasn't injured) prior to this season as well.

IMHO - Cody or Pollard would fit the criteria better.
Old 11-05-2009   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Love me some JJ, but geez he makes me nervous sometimes. He got a nickname yet? How bout "Dynomite"!
LOL. I call him "Two Face" when he's returning punts.

Flip a coin, and see what you get.

There should be Vegas betting games, based upon JJ's punt returns alone. It's like picking red or black on a rhoulette wheel.
Old 11-05-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ isn't a break through player yet. He's been a dangerous threat as a KR in the past, but he's also kept his reputation as a dangerous threat for a TO in the return game as well. He has improved in the passing game though, but it's not like he's having huge games as a receiver. He's benfited from other receivers being covered and spread out more to where defenses weren't focused on covering him. Hell, there has been several plays where he made catches where he wasn't covered at all where any WR in the NFL should have made some of those plays. Not to take away from what he did, but it's not like he's been beating double coverages and been beating solid CB's all season. He's improving though, and that's good to see. There is still another half a season to play though and with Daniels out he'll most likely see a lot more opportunities where he could potentially become a break out player. I have more confidence in him than I did before, but now it's time for him to rise up to the hype.

As far as break out player is concerned Matt Schaub has been hands down the best breakout player on the Texans and probably the best breakout player in the entire NFL on offense other than maybe Cedric Benson or Miles Austin.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
That one never quite caught on. (See sig)
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #14
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I would give some serious consideration to Okoye as well, but I think most people will say that he hasn't quite broken through just yet.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been the same about JJ and getting nervous, but he really seems to be coming around to being a better, more mature player this season. He reminds me of Marques Colston with the Saints at WR. He's tall and really has the ability to make some great plays. Hopefully his fumbling problem is a thing of the past.

As far as a 2009 breakthrough player, I've got to agree with disaacks3 that Pollard is a great candidate. He's been more than we expected in a position that we really needed some talent.
Old 11-05-2009   #16
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby has been a pleasant surprise in the receiving department, but as a few others have said he still makes me nervous in the return game. As far as breakthrough players my list would be:

Schaub - Just plain bad a$$ so far

Amobi- Not Quite there yet but getting close

Jacoby - As I've said, I'm loving him catching the ball, and while hes been great in the return game, he still makes me nervous, lol.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have been the same about JJ and getting nervous, but he really seems to be coming around to being a better, more mature player this season. He reminds me of Marques Colston with the Saints at WR. He's tall and really has the ability to make some great plays. Hopefully his fumbling problem is a thing of the past.

As far as a 2009 breakthrough player, I've got to agree with disaacks3 that Pollard is a great candidate. He's been more than we expected in a position that we really needed some talent.
Its funny that we can say this every single season.

"Will Demps has really been a pleasant surprise at safety for the Texans this year"

"Eugene wilson has really been a nice upgrade at safety for us this year"

"Bernard Pollard has been more than we expected at safety this year"

Why can't we ever have a guy put on a repeat performance? How bad is our safety coaching?
Old 11-05-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Jacoby has been a pleasant surprise in the receiving department, but as a few others have said he still makes me nervous in the return game. As far as breakthrough players my list would be:

Schaub - Just plain bad a$$ so far

Amobi- Not Quite there yet but getting close

Jacoby - As I've said, I'm loving him catching the ball, and while hes been great in the return game, he still makes me nervous, lol.
I would say most improved. Just not break out.
Old 11-05-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a breakout player but one I am probably most happy about is Studdard. He had few skilled that I could see and only the tough player attitude that coaches like. I thought he was drafted primarily as family friends of Kubes. I doubted he would make roster. Now he is starting for the injured Pitts and imo will be the starter next season. With others mentioned all had talent with flashes of stardom. Not so with Studdard.
Old 11-05-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Its funny that we can say this every single season.

"Will Demps has really been a pleasant surprise at safety for the Texans this year"

"Eugene wilson has really been a nice upgrade at safety for us this year"

"Bernard Pollard has been more than we expected at safety this year"

Why can't we ever have a guy put on a repeat performance? How bad is our safety coaching?
Wilson is recovered from a leg injury. Nothing o do with coaching.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read