Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default What will Lil Shanny do to make up for the loss of OD?

The Texans are gonna have to get real creative now that OD is gone. I'm thinking we run more 4 or 5 WR sets and imo I think it would be best to get Moats/Slaton on the field at the same time but use Slaton more as a slot WR.

Especially since Casey is gone this week we're gonna need to have a backup plan. The only advantage, however small, of losing 2 of your TEs for the biggest game of the season including your pro bowl TE is that we are probably going to utilize formations that the Colts haven't seen on film this year. Hopefully that'll be the jump we need on the Colts. A win in Indy would do wonders for this team especially after losing the consummate team player OD.
Old 11-03-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What will Lil Shanny do to make up for the loss of OD?

I'm thinking it's 3 and 4 WR spread time. Put the speed on the field and let's see if our O can win the track meet over the opposing defense. And if they blitz we go shotgun and screen 'em to death with Slaton/Moats or quick WR screens to AJ or KW.

but then, with the speed we've had at WR (AJ, JJ, AD, & yes KW too), I've wanted to do this for two years now.

I've always felt the passing game was our strength
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
The Texans are gonna have to get real creative now that OD is gone. I'm thinking we run more 4 or 5 WR sets and imo I think it would be best to get Moats/Slaton on the field at the same time but use Slaton more as a slot WR.
As long as Leach is in there, or the Colts will pretty well know there is virtually no chance of run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Especially since Casey is gone this week we're gonna need to have a backup plan. The only advantage, however small, of losing 2 of your TEs for the biggest game of the season including your pro bowl TE is that we are probably going to utilize formations that the Colts haven't seen on film this year. Hopefully that'll be the jump we need on the Colts. A win in Indy would do wonders for this team especially after losing the consummate team player OD.
If so, the problem is we will probably use formations that we haven't seen on film this year either.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 11-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Joel can do what OD does, just not as well. You wouldn't think we would need to change a whole lot. I doubt we use a lot of 2 TE sets. Rather than go power formation in the redzone, we will likely try to spread people out, but we pretty much do that already.

When we get Casey back, I doubt our formations will be much different from what we've been seeing over the past 8 games. We'll just likely see a drop in production from the TE spot. Until then, we will probably just use less 2 TE sets in order to keep Hill and Dreesen fresh.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd love to see more Jacoby Jones & David Anderson on the field.
Old 11-04-2009   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think Joel can do what OD does, just not as well. You wouldn't think we would need to change a whole lot. I doubt we use a lot of 2 TE sets. Rather than go power formation in the redzone, we will likely try to spread people out, but we pretty much do that already.

When we get Casey back, I doubt our formations will be much different from what we've been seeing over the past 8 games. We'll just likely see a drop in production from the TE spot. Until then, we will probably just use less 2 TE sets in order to keep Hill and Dreesen fresh.
I think we're changing quite a bit. We were running quite a bit of 2 and 3 TE sets and that is simply not an option now. The 2 TE sets are but I was seeing quite a few of the 3 sets.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Any type of 'creative' playcalling by Shanny won't make up for the loss of Owen Daniels. And the guy that will miss him the most will be Schaub. Daniels created matchup problems for the defense that Schaub took advantage of.

To minimize OD's loss as much as possible, Dreesen will have to do the same as OD, but look for Schaub to take a lot more coverage sacks.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2009   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Any type of 'creative' playcalling by Shanny won't make up for the loss of Owen Daniels. And the guy that will miss him the most will be Schaub. Daniels created matchup problems for the defense that Schaub took advantage of.

To minimize OD's loss as much as possible, Dreesen will have to do the same as OD, but look for Schaub to take a lot more coverage sacks.
If Slaton stops forgetting to get open in the flats after he makes his
chip or block, then Schaub will be fine.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm thinking it's 3 and 4 WR spread time. Put the speed on the field and let's see if our O can win the track meet over the opposing defense. And if they blitz we go shotgun and screen 'em to death with Slaton/Moats or quick WR screens to AJ or KW.

but then, with the speed we've had at WR (AJ, JJ, AD, & yes KW too), I've wanted to do this for two years now.

I've always felt the passing game was our strength
The best part of our recievers being great blockers is that in a 3 or 4 wide set, we can still run. If you leave bigger LB's in, we have speed. If you bring in dime, we can run with confidence.
Old 11-04-2009   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that we don't change much at all so far as formations go. I know Winston mentioned the possibility of spreading it out some yesterday on the radio, but Kubiak is pretty set in his ways and I don't think he's the kind of guy that blows up something because of a couple of injuries.

I think you will simply have Dreesen at your TE1 and Hill as your TE2, and if we go to three TE sets you'll see Butler come in as that TE3. This actually might be a blessing in disguise, because your TE position will be more blocking oriented and the two things it takes to beat the Colts is an effective running game and neutralizing Freeney and Mathis. With 3 blocking TE it should be easier to do both of those things.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 103549 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest problem with this Colts defense is the pressure they get with just the linemen, no blitzing needed. We have got to be able to run the ball, or they will be able to disrupt any type of passing game we implement.
Old 11-04-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think we're changing quite a bit. We were running quite a bit of 2 and 3 TE sets and that is simply not an option now. The 2 TE sets are but I was seeing quite a few of the 3 sets.
In 07 we used a lot of 2 and 3-TE sets.
In 08, we mostly activated only 2 TEs for games (with Bruener nursing year long injury.) We didn't even use the 2-TE sets all that much; I'm sure Kubiak wanted to save those guys.
This year, we had come back to the 2 and 3-TE sets.

For the next couple of games, I would imagine we'd go back to 08 style.
Against the Colts, we should see more of the I-formation anyway since we have always been able to run on them pretty well.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that we don't change much at all so far as formations go. I know Winston mentioned the possibility of spreading it out some yesterday on the radio, but Kubiak is pretty set in his ways and I don't think he's the kind of guy that blows up something because of a couple of injuries.

I think you will simply have Dreesen at your TE1 and Hill as your TE2, and if we go to three TE sets you'll see Butler come in as that TE3. This actually might be a blessing in disguise, because your TE position will be more blocking oriented and the two things it takes to beat the Colts is an effective running game and neutralizing Freeney and Mathis. With 3 blocking TE it should be easier to do both of those things.
With Hill and Butler at TE, our run game should be ok. THis needs to be a game we go off rushing.
Old 11-04-2009   #14
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are likely to see more of KW and some JJ and AD as well

But I'd really like to see Glenn Martinez(this guy is good).

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
With Hill and Butler at TE, our run game should be ok. THis needs to be a game we go off rushing.
This would be MY gameplan if I were O-coord.

3 TE sets, and slam Moats through the Colts' d-line. I'd chew up huge amounts of clock on each drive like we did vs. the Bills. Convert 3rd downs at all costs. Maybe even go for a few 4th and shorts.

When we're on defense, you know what a zone coverage is going get you: Eaten alive. Man coverage and keep everything short and over the middle where our LBs can tackle them and lay hits on them.

Bush better figure out what to do about the little skinny post route that burned Pollard/'Meco in the 9ers game.

I have a good feeling about this game, actually. Unless we just go in there and act like an expansion franchise. But I have hope that THIS is the game where we see our guys play the game and seal the deal from start to finish.

Win the coin toss. Drive down and score a TD on an 80-yard, 6:00 drive. Hold the Colts offense to a 3-and-out. Rinse and repeat.
Old 11-04-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Yep and more of JJ and some "trick" plays. Walters should be very effective.
Old 11-04-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

3 TE sets, and slam Moats through the Colts' d-line. I'd chew up huge amounts of clock on each drive like we did vs. the Bills. Convert 3rd downs at all costs. Maybe even go for a few 4th and shorts.

When we're on defense, you know what a zone coverage is going get you: Eaten alive. Man coverage and keep everything short and over the middle where our LBs can tackle them and lay hits on them.

Bush better figure out what to do about the little skinny post route that burned Pollard/'Meco in the 9ers game.

I have a good feeling about this game, actually. Unless we just go in there and act like an expansion franchise. But I have hope that THIS is the game where we see our guys play the game and seal the deal from start to finish.

Win the coin toss. Drive down and score a TD on an 80-yard, 6:00 drive. Hold the Colts offense to a 3-and-out. Rinse and repeat.
Not sure if this will work against the Colts but understand your thoughts.
Old 11-04-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I think every back we have will get carries, if we can control the pace. I actually look for Brown to run the ball well.
Old 11-04-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
In 07 we used a lot of 2 and 3-TE sets.
In 08, we mostly activated only 2 TEs for games (with Bruener nursing year long injury.) We didn't even use the 2-TE sets all that much; I'm sure Kubiak wanted to save those guys.
This year, we had come back to the 2 and 3-TE sets.

For the next couple of games, I would imagine we'd go back to 08 style.
Against the Colts, we should see more of the I-formation anyway since we have always been able to run on them pretty well.
I agree. I don't see him doing anything crazy like Butler at TE or Barwin at TE or anything that involves anyone out of position. In multiple interviews I've heard both Shanihan and Kubiak talk about not getting to smart. Staying consistent and focusing on doing they things that we do, well. I would expect them to move away from the 3 TE sets and even minimize the 2 TE sets and go with the other formations that are still "in tact".

But considering how much we've been running out of the 2 and 3 TE sets that's a pretty substantial difference.

Have you done your play by play? I didn't get a chance last week to go over it. I was leaving for Chicago and got behind on my OCTD (obsessive, compulsive, Texans disorder)
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not sure if this will work against the Colts but understand your thoughts.
I think that's what happened early on in the Rosencopter game.

We kept them off the field, and when they got back on it...we took them off it again. I remember Manning being very frustrated. Granted, I think his o-line and supporting cast were sort of lolly-gaggin' around and not playing they way they normally did. Until they smelled blood in the water, and then it was lights-out.

But still...the way you stop Manning is by keeping his tail on the sideline.

And you gotta' get a TD or a FG almost every possession.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read