Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 4th and INCHES from the Goal Line

I'm surprised that this coaching decision near the end of the 1st half has drawn vitually no comment here.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th and INCHES from the Goal Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm surprised that this coaching decision near the end of the 1st half has drawn vitually no comment here.
It was the right thing to do, we didn't fail miserably in our goal (decided on 3 on the road), and we won the game.
Old 11-02-2009   #3
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't recall a 4th and inches from the goal line from the game. I do remember having a 4th and a long 1 where Kubiak decided to kick the field goal instead.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was right decision put some points on board since we still had second half to play.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
I don't recall a 4th and inches from the goal line from the game. I do remember having a 4th and a long 1 where Kubiak decided to kick the field goal instead.
That's what I remember, and I agreed with the call. It was like 5 ft. to go. If it had actually only been inches I would definitely have wanted to go for it. Less than a yard and I would have.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

What I didn't agree with initially was going for 2 when we went up 15-10. My thinking was the way the game was going at that point that it would be low scoring. I didn't want to be beat by a couple of Bills field goals and also if you don't make the 2 it takes a little momentum away.

Of course once AJ made the big catch I stopped complaining about it.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
It was 4th and about 6 - 12 inches at the 4 yard line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
What I didn't agree with initially was going for 2 when we went up 15-10. My thinking was the way the game was going at that point that it would be low scoring. I didn't want to be beat by a couple of Bills field goals and also if you don't make the 2 it takes a little momentum away.

Of course once AJ made the big catch I stopped complaining about it.
That call made sense to me. Up 5 or up 6 doesn't change your situation. Either way they need a TD to take the lead. Make it 7 and now the best they can do is tie unless they too make a 2 pt conversion.
Old 11-02-2009   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That call made sense to me. Up 5 or up 6 doesn't change your situation. Either way they need a TD to take the lead. Make it 7 and now the best they can do is tie unless they too make a 2 pt conversion.
It was still fairly early in the game and I was thinking it was going to be a low scoring game. To me you take all the points you can get and don't give them back any momentum back by missing a 2 point conversion. Up by 5 instead of 6 they can beat you with 2 field goals.

Regardless it was a mute point.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #9
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It was 4th and about 6 - 12 inches at the 4 yard line.

I thought it was right around 1 yard. I'm kind of surprised with the decision after Kubiak's history, but I think it was the right one.

Also, I agree with everything you say here about the 2 pt conversion. I immediately thought they had to go for 2 when they scored and thought it was a pretty standard decision for the reason you mentioned.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

u take your points on the road no matter what and i dont think we were on the goal line
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The tv announcer said it was closer to 2 yards fwiw
Old 11-03-2009   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The tv announcer said it was closer to 2 yards fwiw
That's exactly what he said, and I think the FG was the right decision. Putting points on the board is never a bad thing.

I didn't like the decision to go for two when the score was 15-10. I'm glad it worked out, but it was less than a minute into the 4th quarter, and being up by 5 points (if they'd missed) isn't a good thing when they have plenty of time to score two FG's. Basically, I'm pretty much of the opinion that until the last half of the 4th quarter (at the earliest), there's too many potential variables in the score to pay any attention to the magical "card" the coaches supposedly carry saying when to go for two.
Old 11-03-2009   #13
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

The announcers said it was more than one yard but I don't remember them ever showing it from an angle we could see. "Let's spend the entire time showing artsy shots from the other endzone or crowd shots or coach shots." NO! Show something relevant to the game! With Slaton or Brown as running back, kick the field goal. With Moats go for it. Worst case they get the ball at the 4 yardline and you go to halftime down by 4. Same as if you kick a field goal and give up a 71 yard K.O. return.

Should have gone for 1 point. If you miss the 2, the Bills come down and score a FG with 11 minutes left you would really wish you had that 3 point lead instead of a 2 point lead. However, once again, great execution can overcome iffy coaching.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I never thought that those decisions would matter.
I had total confidence that we would win convincingly the way our D-line dominated their O-line.

They started the game with the rookie Meredith replacing an injured Scott at RT. Then Meredith was injured midway through the first quarter and had to be replaced. There was no way the Bills can move the ball consistently on us (supposedly).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Take the points!
Old 11-03-2009   #16
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

For those saying you were questioning the 2pt conversion, it was a good call. Reason 1, makes Buffalo have to get a TD to tie it and reason 2 is that Buffalo was not moving the ball at all in the 2nd half, so to me it was them starting to learn to finish games and show that they want to start to finish them off as soon as they can and not let up. Say they go for the XP, ok, up by 6, you really think Buffalo was going to get 2 fg to tie it without Houston scoring again.. Ya'll think that Houston would have stopped moving the ball and all of a sudden Buffalo was going to start moving it.. Right call to make going for 2pts !! Learn to close out games early and finish them off !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a close game, with a TON of time left. Take the points and try again. We had been having some success moving the ball, so I think Gary was feeling good about having another chance to score points.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Against a team like the bills you definetly take the points. You can beat the bills with FG's. Now if we were playing the Colts you might have to go for the TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Taking the timeout was what I wanted him to do in that situation.

As long as he took a TO and had time to think about what he wanted to do, I was happy with whatever solution he came up with.

Because it showed that he's not reacting; and instead he's being a good head coach and talking things through with his personnel.

I know this one situation is not complete proof of this, but I think he's becoming a better gameday head coach out there.
Old 11-03-2009   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I never thought that those decisions would matter.
I was hoping that they wouldn't matter too, and as it turned out, they didn't. You always hope the game is one-sided enough (in your teams favor of course), that individual decisions aren't critical.

That said, I still think Kubes was 1 for 2 (my opinion), and of course he's making those decisions under the assumption that they're going to matter - possibly to the point of deciding the game.

That's also why the long kick-off return and resulting Buffalo FG at the end of the half is irrelevant to the decision to kick the FG. Yeah, it would have almost definitely been a push if we'd gone for the first down and missed, but not knowing that the Bills would be set up for a chip-shot FG, I still firmly believe Kubes made the right decision taking the points.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read