Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2009   #1
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cushing's stats make him frontrunner for Def ROTY

I didn't even know his combined stats were this good. Halfway through the season, he leads all LB's --not just rookies-- in some categories.

Here's the link to the NFL's stat sheet.

Among all NFL LB's, he's #1 in passes deflected with 9, and is in an eight-way tie at 7th place overall. The funny thing about this standing is that he's right in the middle of a long list of CB's, and is tied with Champ Bailey.

He and six others are tied for #1 among LB's in interceptions with 2, and he's also in a million-way tie for 3rd in forced fumbles with 2. 1st place for forced fumbles belongs James Harrison with 4. These two rankings may seem less significant since a rank can change so easily, but the company this puts Cushing in is important. It's important to note that Aaron Curry also has 2 forced fumbles.

Among all LB's, he is fifth in sacks with 1.5.

In solo tackles, he is tied at 15th with 36. Kirk Morrison of Oakland is #1 at 56.

He is 2nd in the league in assisted tackles with 36. London Fletcher is #1 with 40. Cushing's rank here isn't surprising since it reflects Bush's defensive philosophy of everyone flying to the ball. Cushing has also always been adept at reading plays and knowing exactly where to go, as demonstrated in his USC highlights on Youtube.

His combined total in tackles places him at 5th in the league with 66, and London Fletcher at #1 with 71.

As of week 8, only seven defenders in the NFL have a safety. Cushing and Tamba Hali are the only LB's included in that group.

Some of these stats on their own aren't remarkably impressive, but combined they make the strongest case of any rookie. Also, as we all know, stats don't tell the whole story, but I'm certain that Cushing's intangibles give him an even bigger advantage among other defensive rookies.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing's stats make him frontrunner for Def ROTY

The sack stat can be a little misleading because OLBs in 3-4s tend to rake in the sacks more because of scheme
Old 11-02-2009   #3
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The sack stat can be a little misleading because OLBs in 3-4s tend to rake in the sacks more because of scheme
I thought about this too, because I think it says even more about Cushing climbing to that rank as a rookie in a 4-3.
Old 11-02-2009   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Very impressive indeed, lets hope he can keep up the steam for the second half of the season!
Old 11-02-2009   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Very impressive indeed, lets hope he can keep up the steam for the second half of the season!
With more experience, I think he'll crank up the effort even more. I've been waiting to see if he has a game where he's not outstanding, and that hasn't happened yet.

The only event that could realistically prevent him from winning ROTY is the dreaded word that starts with an "I", which I will not utter here.
Old 11-02-2009   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
With more experience, I think he'll crank up the effort even more. I've been waiting to see if he has a game where he's not outstanding, and that hasn't happened yet.

The only event that could realistically prevent him from winning ROTY is the dreaded word that starts with an "I", which I will not utter here.
I doubt Incontinence will keep him from earning the DROY
Old 11-02-2009   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I doubt Incontinence will keep him from earning the DROY
Apparently peeing your pants is not a hindrance to playing in the NFL.

Just ask Catfish.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing will be the ROTY for sure I think. He's a beast and his play will continue every week. He's only going to get better from here on out, and I don't see any other rookies really matching his play on defense this year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I got so angry when the announcers were acting like Byrd should've been handed the DROY award after his 2nd INT.

Cushing has been a beast all season!!!
Old 11-02-2009   #10
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Media loves stats and lame stories...Byrd is the front-runner
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I got so angry when the announcers were acting like Byrd should've been handed the DROY award after his 2nd INT.

It's amusing to think back to the concerns about him coming out of college:

1. He may be a 2 down LB
2. He may be a workout warrior without football instincts/passion

Wow, ask LZ where he gets his inside info!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #12
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

1. He may be a 2 down LB

LZ should have looked at his highlights online. You can see plenty of examples of his football instincts.
Old 11-02-2009   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

If they were voting on the DROY right now it would probably come down to Cushing and Byrd. Don't know which one would get it but Cushing's overall stats should be enough.

I don't know who votes on these kinds of things. Do you? If the media has a say so Byrd may have the upper hand.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

James Harrison leads in strips because he knocks it out of QB's hands while cocking their arms back. Cushing has two freight train points, not forced fumbles hahaha...

Remember Cush was a blink away from catching another bobbling ball for INT vs San fran.

He's had games that qualify him as a stud, no doubt. I'll be thrilled to see the game, and it may be a year or two more, where he comes out knowing nothing is going to stop him and imposes a ferocious will on the opponents. Like Ray Lewis. Like Lawrence Taylor, his idol.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

1. He may be a 2 down LB

I will be the first to tell you that I had concerns about Cushing before the draft. It was evident that we were pretty much after either him or Mathews and I liked Meluega better than all of them. Cushing is obviously looking like the better gem out of all though. I was a little concerned about the injury history from college though.

Doesn't matter now though, he's easily the best defensive rookie up to this point. He's one of the best LB's in the league period already. He's also putting a major stamp on the Texans defense now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #16
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

It also doesn't hurt that Frank Bush's scheme (4-3 Under) is almost a carbon copy
of the one he played in college. The way we play SAM with the Texans
seems to be tailor-made for Cushing. The Texans were quite lucky the
first round of the draft played out the way they'd hoped.

Also, although it is quite apparent this team is much more talented than
last year's squad, I don't see the same players being as successful
under Richard Smith. Frank Bush allows his players to be aggressive, yet
they play in a scheme that fools no one. They just line up, maintain gap
integrity, and hit people as hard as they can. It's been dominating teams
over the last 5 weeks, but I'm quite anxious to see how the best "player-coach"
in the league handles it on Sunday. No more "wait-and-see-what-Mr.-Manning-
does-then-REACT." It's "He knows what's comin.' Let's give "Peter Waiter" something
to CRY about!

Last edited by DexmanC; 11-03-2009 at 04:43 AM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootball.scout.com/2/914242.html currently has him ranked #1 amongst all NFL Rookiies.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #18
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
http://profootball.scout.com/2/914242.html currently has him ranked #1 amongst all NFL Rookiies.
They have Byrd ranked #14, though he's expected to break the top 10 next week.

I think one of the things that must impress scouts is that Cushing has that many tackles despite being next to Ryans. A lot of defensive players accumulate a lot of tackles because they pick up the slack and do all the work, like Kirk Morrison of Oakland. But Cushing isn't picking up slack, he's elevating his game and consequently the game of the entire defense.
Old 11-03-2009   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing is a very good linebacker, but his 36 solo tackles rank him 47th in the NFL. I'm not too high on pile jumpers.

That said, his playmaking ability is off the chain.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Cushing is a very good linebacker, but his 36 solo tackles rank him 47th in the NFL. I'm not too high on pile jumpers.

That said, his playmaking ability is off the chain.
He's only listed in slot 47, but if you condense all the ties in one slot (like eight players tied for 5th place), then Cushing is tied for 15th.

And from the assisted tackles I've seen, Cushing is definitely more than a pile jumper. Watch him and DeMeco stop a run, and you'll see Cushing brace the tackler like a brick wall. Again, the fact that he is compiling numbers like that while playing next to a playmaker and former ROTY says a lot.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read