Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rewatched the Buffalo game: some observations.

I'll let 76texan and Barrett handle the heavy details but I have a few things to mention about the game:

1. Caldwell just took over the starting RG position. He had an amazing second half. He made his hook blocks, some great combination blocks, got to the second level a number of times, and held up in pass protection. Also, the rotation with White stopped in the 4th quarter and he was in all the final 2 TD drives, back to back.

2. Amazing discipline from the LBs in the run game. There were a number of plays where you could see the LBs maintain their gap instead of attempting to make a play and allowing the pursuit to come in and clean the play up. They are clearly playing with trust and discipline. It doesn't hurt that they know Pollard is behind them, IMO.

3. Ryan Moats is much more adept at making the quick read and cut on the zone runs. His balance and and vision/decision-making is what allowed the run offense to find a rhythm.

4. Amobi Okoye is playing well. He handles double teams and is often in the backfield creating havoc in the run and pass game.

5. Antonio Smith is playing well in the run and pass game. He's getting hits on the QB, some hurries and playing the run pretty well too.

6. Zac Diles didn't even use his hands, much less hold, on the JJones punt return. That was an atrocious call. Diles was way behind the play and hustled into it and launched himself into a would-be tackler. I don't even understand how a ref could consider calling him for a hold.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rewatched the Buffalo game: some observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'll let 76texan and Barrett handle the heavy details but I have a few things to mention about the game:

1. Caldwell just took over the starting RG position. He had an amazing second half. He made his hook blocks, some great combination blocks, got to the second level a number of times, and held up in pass protection. Also, the rotation with White stopped in the 4th quarter and he was in all the final 2 TD drives, back to back.
I think it was smart of Kubiak to have the "kid" in there toward the end of a game like this.

It's a good way to build his confidence.

I will have to watch closely to see how he progresses!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2. Amazing discipline from the LBs in the run game. There were a number of plays where you could see the LBs maintain their gap instead of attempting to make a play and allowing the pursuit to come in and clean the play up. They are clearly playing with trust and discipline. It doesn't hurt that they know Pollard is behind them, IMO.
I was glad to see that the Texans heed my advice, LOL!

For the most part, we kept to our gap assignment, especially on the outside.
That was the key thing , defensively, I mentioned pre-game, that we ought to do.
If we were able to do that (which we did), we should be able to neutralize Lynch (who is more of an outside threat than Jackson).
Once we did, Fitz will have problem with our penetration. (And he did)
Remember I said "penetration", not "overpowering" their interior line.
Old 11-02-2009   #4
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm glad you posted this, I forgot to make a post about him after the game. He was really sealing off his blocks well, and it was very nice seeing him in the second level, making that one extra block. I thought he did an outstanding job and believe he will get the lions share next week.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think it was smart of Kubiak to have the "kid" in there toward the end of a game like this.

It's a good way to build his confidence.

I will have to watch closely to see how he progresses!
He didn't stand out to me in the first half, but I wasn't watching him closely. It's the second half, when the running game got cranking, that he really flashed A LOT!
Old 11-02-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

5. Antonio Smith is playing well in the run and pass game. He's getting hits on the QB, some hurries and playing the run pretty well too.
Antonio had his best game of the season yesterday. The King of the Almost-Sack was at it again with by my count was 2 almost-sacks. He hit the snot out of Fitzgerald on one rush, when the contact occurred I thought Fitz was gonna be out of the game. Thats the kinda thing that'll rattle a QB.

This guy is unblockable at times, very fun to watch!
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
3. Ryan Moats is much more adept at making the quick read and cut on the zone runs. His balance and and vision/decision-making is what allowed the run offense to find a rhythm.
Moats is very familiar with the WCO during his time in Philadelphia.
He had fumbling problem that got him cut.
When we got him, I said if he can correct that problem (which he also had in college - at Louisiana Tech), he can be an addition.
He doesn't have the great burst that Slaton possesses, but he continues to learn how to utilize his blockers effectively.
Sometimes it's better to wait "just a hair" for a hole to open up.
Moats was able to do that, and he has also learn to get down as contacts come his way.

I think Slaton has been trying too hard; he's thinking about working for another yard, another yard.

I think it was Barry Sanders who said "let the game come to you"; ie. don't try to force it!
The same goes for Schaub. I believe these two guys have what it takes, but they need to let the game flow more naturally.
It's hard to explain, but that's the feelings I get from reading all these great players about things that made them successful.
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2009   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is important to note that the Oline after losing two starting guards & working with a sophomore LT and a rookie RG are coming together. Yes, Buffalo did not have good run defense, but we are playing with back ups including a back up RB with little actual game time experience. I expected a win going into game but was a but nervous after the turnovers. Kubes has wanted to get the running game going and it may even be better than we thought. On the Owen Daniel thread, most are focused on Casey and Dreesen and I am ok with that. What if Hill is ready to step up and be the blocking TE that he was drafted to be? OD was having a probowl year but as a receiver not a blocker. We have a very deep and good WR corps and both Walters and JJ should see more passes. If Hill can be a steady blocker the odds only get better that Schaub will find a guy.

Before the last draft I had a thread about using two quick half backs to reduce strain on Slaton. SS is too good a weapon to sit on bench for long. We might get to see my idea in play with Moats starting and Slaton the change of pace and flairing out to benefit from screens. Also remember the end around that JJ had? That is a good play for Slaton also. Yeah, I know "hold on to the ball". JJ had the same problem and it seems to be corrected. Let's hope the magic works for Steve, too.
Old 11-02-2009   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Moats is very familiar with the WCO during his time in Philadelphia.
He had fumbling problem that got him cut.
When we got him, I said if he can correct that problem (which he also had in college - at Louisiana Tech), he can be an addition.
He doesn't have the great burst that Slaton possesses, but he continues to learn how to utilize his blockers effectively.
Sometimes it's better to wait "just a hair" for a hole to open up.
Moats was able to do that, and he has also learn to get down as contacts come his way.

I think Slaton has been trying too hard; he's thinking about working for another yard, another yard.

I think it was Barry Sanders who said "let the game come to you"; ie. don't try to force it!
The same goes for Schaub. I believe these two guys have what it takes, but they need to let the game flow more naturally.
It's hard to explain, but that's the feelings I get from reading all these great players about things that made them successful.
So they waited a year to cut him for it? He fumbles three times his rookie year in 2005 but then doesn't fumble at all in 2006 and then gets released. He briefly stops at Arizona before coming to Houston in 2007. Since then very limited duty but he hasn't put the ball on the ground since his first season. I think he appears to understand the importance of hanging on to the football.
Old 11-02-2009   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is the thing I was most concerned about going into this game. Even though it's only Buffalo, it is a good sign. The confidence will help either way.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
So they waited a year to cut him for it? He fumbles three times his rookie year in 2005 but then doesn't fumble at all in 2006 and then gets released. He briefly stops at Arizona before coming to Houston in 2007. Since then very limited duty but he hasn't put the ball on the ground since his first season. I think he appears to understand the importance of hanging on to the football.
Herv, I followed him.
He had fumbling problem in practice and PreSeason.

He's a Louisiana boy, I'm always a little bias toward him.
But I always say that I would call what I see.

The second part is what I agree with; when he learns to play within himself, he can take care of the ball better, for which I'm glad.
Old 11-02-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

The Eagles got a little fat & happy with RB depth Westbrook/Buckhalter then expected 2007 3rd rd. draft pick Tony Hunt to be next best option hence Moats became expendable.

Always liked him, has thick lower body, good vision & cut-back moves for ZBS. Never forget that terrible incident in Dallas by officer Powell, thought he showed tremendous class.

The single most impressive observation I have from Buffalo was the game plan to attack the Bills defensive weakness against the run, then execute it. Caldwell looks like another excellent draft pick by Rick Smith & Co.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #13
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Play of the game: Jacque Reeves preventing the touchdown at the end of the 1st half. I think momentum began shifting our direction, and our team came out with confidence in the 2nd half because of it.
Old 11-02-2009   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I think it started with our Offense play calling.
We punched them right-left-right-left something like that to get their D-line running all over the place.
I was about to post it in the game-day thread, but then Schaub threw that INT!

I still like the play calling though.
We started out making them work hard, I thought at the time, yeah, this works for me. I like it!
Old 11-02-2009   #15
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what I saw from our O and D from Buffalo game.

Our O-line seems to get to second level with 2 back up Gs which we can be proud of and feel good about our depth.

Our D, in addition of Pollard, GQ, and Cushing we now have nastyness.(Especially, last 4 games when our D starting to show some toughness)

Now, what else we need to improve to beat the Colts? Your guys are much better than me on breaking down plays understanding of scheme so, appreciate letting know your thoughts on this.(Who or what play would be a key to bring us W)

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
I like what I saw from our O and D from Buffalo game.

Our O-line seems to get to second level with 2 back up Gs which we can be proud of and feel good about our depth.

Our D, in addition of Pollard, GQ, and Cushing we now have nastyness.(Especially, last 4 games when our D starting to show some toughness)

Now, what else we need to improve to beat the Colts? Your guys are much better than me on breaking down plays understanding of scheme so, appreciate letting know your thoughts on this.(Who or what play would be a key to bring us W)

Go Texans!!!

Red zone offense
Red zone defense
Special teams
Turnover margin

Silly and obvious. But, to beat Indy in Indy, we have to dominate on Special Teams, create a couple turnovers, make them kick field goals, and score TDs when we have red zone opportunities. Oh yeah, we can't fall behind early and need to be able to run the ball and keep third downs manageable.
Old 11-02-2009   #17
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Red zone offense
Red zone defense
Special teams
Turnover margin

Silly and obvious. But, to beat Indy in Indy, we have to dominate on Special Teams, create a couple turnovers, make them kick field goals, and score TDs when we have red zone opportunities. Oh yeah, we can't fall behind early and need to be able to run the ball and keep third downs manageable.
Thanks Dale.

Basically, we need to improve a whole area of plays to bring us W.

Seems to me we have an edge in special team play and we are leading 3&outs. So, our O need to stay away from turnover and our D need to create turnover.

I am hoping the Texans with W against the Colts. Being 6-3 and 5-4 team is a world of difference to us. We really need W to make a play off run this year!

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #18
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cladwell stood up the much larger Marcus Stroud on several plays. I was in shock because we're not used to seeing our RG not giving up too much ground, especially not to a guy the size of Stroud. Friggin sweet.
Old 11-02-2009   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest point I got from the Buffalo game was that of a maturing team, reaching its prime(?) and not cratering to adversity like teams past. I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game for specifics, but, like all the articles say, we took their best shot, then whipped their ass. That's what quality teams do when facing a lesser opponent. We are finally winning most of the games we should win. I'm still not convinced of any corner turning or anything, but we are playing much better as a team, not just a unit of a team. I'm so glad the D is making as many, or meore, healines as the O
Old 11-02-2009   #20
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was glad to see that the Texans heed my advice, LOL!

For the most part, we kept to our gap assignment, especially on the outside.
That was the key thing , defensively, I mentioned pre-game, that we ought to do.
If we were able to do that (which we did), we should be able to neutralize Lynch (who is more of an outside threat than Jackson).
Once we did, Fitz will have problem with our penetration. (And he did)
Remember I said "penetration", not "overpowering" their interior line.
On a couple of plays I was watching Cushings, and started to get mad that he was just standing there and I realized he was maintaining his gap. I wasn't as mad when I figured it out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read