Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2009   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 46521 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rank the Texans Defense among the NFL

As of last week we had the 21st ranked defense. (Bases on yards allowed) Now I know Buffalo doesn't have much offense, but we only gave up 204, and 40 something of those were from the prevent.

If the season started over today were would you put the Texans D compared to the rest of the league?

I'd say we have to be top 15 now. What say you?????
Old 11-01-2009   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rank the Texans Defense among the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
As of last week we had the 21st ranked defense. (Bases on yards allowed) Now I know Buffalo doesn't have much offense, but we only gave up 204, and 40 something of those were from the prevent.

If the season started over today were would you put the Texans D compared to the rest of the league?

I'd say we have to be top 15 now. What say you?????
We have played great recently, but none of it matters if we can't at least slow down the colts.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 185201 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most everyone felt that the Texans defense would improve as the season wore on. I don't think many thought they would play so poorly at the start. I doubt many saw Brian Cushing becoming a dominant force this quickly, if at all.

Still, the litmus test for the defense is Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. That's where the rubber meets the field turf. I'm not convinced the Texans can stop the Colts offense. I do believe they have the personnel to contain the Colts. That's if the Texans offense can stay away from the turnovers and convert in the red zone.
Old 11-01-2009   #4
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Its top ten, not number one but it is quality. Pass D still has to improve though.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #5
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Top-15 for sure.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
Its top ten, not number one but it is quality. Pass D still has to improve though.
It's a matchup issue. This defense will be successful against Miami, but it's going to really struggle at Indy, IMO. I think a defense needs more experience and deception to play well at INDY. Still, I think we have a shot to get them at home in a few weeks... We're fighting for the wildcard anyway. Only a P.Manning injury gives us a chance at the division.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait a second...didn't we just give up 21 points in a half to ALEX FREAKING SMITH!?!?!?!?!?!

Top 15? Top 10?

Madness

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2009   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

We're average. We aren't bad. We aren't good. Just average. 13-17 range. As bad as our defense has been over the years, average is pretty good!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #9
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Rep Power: 46521 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It's a matchup issue. This defense will be successful against Miami, but it's going to really struggle at Indy, IMO. I think a defense needs more experience and deception to play well at INDY. Still, I think we have a shot to get them at home in a few weeks... We're fighting for the wildcard anyway. Only a P.Manning injury gives us a chance at the division.
That can be arranged........ Muhahah, Muuuhahahaha, MUUUHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009   #10
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Wait a second...didn't we just give up 21 points in a half to ALEX FREAKING SMITH!?!?!?!?!?!

Top 15? Top 10?

Madness
It was conservative Defensive play calling, we were up 21 points.
Old 11-01-2009   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
It was conservative Defensive play calling, we were up 21 points.
I like how Frank Bush kept the pressure dialed up on the Bills ALL GAME
LONG. Did you guys see that delayed blitz, when he sent Cushing in
late to SMASH Fitzpatrick? It was a thing of beauty. I think our
defense is gonna have fun next week. If Richard Smith's sucky defense
gave us a chance to win last year, then we DEFINITELY have a shot
this year with this defense.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rank the Texans 15th in scoring defense, 16th in yards, 14th against the pass and 21st against the run.

But maybe that's just me.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #13
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I like how Frank Bush kept the pressure dialed up on the Bills ALL GAME
LONG. Did you guys see that delayed blitz, when he sent Cushing in
late to SMASH Fitzpatrick? It was a thing of beauty. I think our
defense is gonna have fun next week. If Richard Smith's sucky defense
gave us a chance to win last year, then we DEFINITELY have a shot
this year with this defense.

I think all of you are excited over a lot of nothing. We haven't played consistently all year. I also think that all of you are mad if you trust our defense to hold a lead. I don't. Been burned too many times. This defense that you are raving about...do you remember what Chris Johnson did to us???????

This same damned defense gave up 3 td's to vernon davis, and forgot to cover CJ. Top 10??????? The level of delusion on this message board is frightening me sometimes. Buffalo and Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't manning, it isn't aaron rodgers, its not even MJD and Jacksonville. Today did nothing for me. Its fantastic to win...but I cant ride this roller coaster where each week we go from the greatest of all time to the crappiest team to ever put on cleats. Just not going to do it anymore.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #14
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Still, the litmus test for the defense is Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. That's where the rubber meets the field turf.
This is a team that is currently undefeated and has won a minimum of 12 games over the last six straight seasons. This is a team with a total of 21 losses spanning seven seasons. Help me understand how stopping this team, one of the most offensively prolific teams in the history of the NFL, is considered a litmus test of a "good" defense, since no one has been able to stop them consistently for essentially the entire time the Texans have been in existence?

Not that I don't think the Texans defense can make a good effort, but Indy doesn't rush the ball that well (no single rusher over 65 yards all season) and Manning has only thrown for less than 300 yards once in seven games. Their offensive scheme is the absolute worst situation that our defense can expect, because our d-line rush is non-existent and the word "suspect" would get offended to be used in describing our pass defense.

To say it is a litmus test of the organization as a whole for beating Indy in Indy, that I can say is true. But it is completely unreasonable expectations to say the Texans defense can't be labeled as a good defense unless they shut down or contain Manning. Especially when as constructed, the don't stand a chance in hell of doing that. Lucky breaks and an offense that is running on all cylinders is the only prayer we have against Indy.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think all of you are excited over a lot of nothing. We haven't played consistently all year. I also think that all of you are mad if you trust our defense to hold a lead. I don't. Been burned too many times. This defense that you are raving about...do you remember what Chris Johnson did to us???????

This same damned defense gave up 3 td's to vernon davis, and forgot to cover CJ. Top 10??????? The level of delusion on this message board is frightening me sometimes. Buffalo and Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't manning, it isn't aaron rodgers, its not even MJD and Jacksonville. Today did nothing for me. Its fantastic to win...but I cant ride this roller coaster where each week we go from the greatest of all time to the crappiest team to ever put on cleats. Just not going to do it anymore.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Basically the way I see it, we have a chance to win every week. If our team shows up, we got a good chance. If it doesn't we don't. That means we are an average team overall. Defense will have its hands full next week, but everyone has their hands full with Peyton!

After suffering through the Domn Caper years, being average isn't so bad!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #17
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Basically the way I see it, we have a chance to win every week. If our team shows up, we got a good chance. If it doesn't we don't. That means we are an average team overall. Defense will have its hands full next week, but everyone has their hands full with Peyton!

After suffering through the Domn Caper years, being average isn't so bad!
They said something on the broadcast today that I've been searching to find out where this stat is...they said that we were the #1 team in producing 3 and outs on defense. Anyone know where this stat is kept?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #18
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If anyone can expose the weaknesses on our defense (there are quite a few) its going to be the Colts but why no mention of the legitimate strides we have made against the run? What about holding down Benson and Gore? Do you really believe that CJ is going to have another field day against us?
Old 11-01-2009   #19
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Not necessarily more deception. The D-line needs to play like they
did today passrush-wise. Occasionally, blitz Demeco and Cushing.
I see the Texans playing off Reggie Wayne most of the game. If
they miss on the 5-yard chuck, it's a touchdown.

We also have a few cards to play offensively, and i see both teams scoring
around 25-30 points. However, the Texans defense has been much improved,
and Indy now has the #1 defense in the NFL!
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

If the NFL's defenses are in tiers I'd put it like this:

Best:
Pittsburgh
New Orleans

Great:
Denver
Indianapolis (this year yes so far)
Atlanta
New England
Baltimore

Good:
Houston
Cincinnati
New York Jets
San Francisco
Minnesota
Green Bay
Philadelphia
New York Giants
Dallas
Arizona

Questionable every week:
Chicago
Miami
Jacksonville
San Diego
Washington
Seattle

Dreadful:
Everyone else
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read