Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RJ's Column... You're Kidding Me!

Please don't advise me not to read it. It's too late! I don't rubberneck on highways but the dark corners of my human nature do tend to surface when I see his columns. This one makes his slanderous rants against Rick Smith seem measured, thoughtful, and meritous. I think the funniest part is his argument that Jerry Jones and Drayton McLane would have drafted Young, therefore it is clearly the only logical thing to do.

Here you go:

Yes, the Texans should have taken Vince Young
Looking back on it now, it's easy to say that Vince Young wasn't the best player of the 2006 NFL draft and that the Texans got it right in selecting Mario Williams.

There's just one problem with this kind of thinking. It's completely wrong. It defies logic.

Let me tell you a little secret. If Leslie Alexander or Drayton McLane had owned the Texans that spring, they would have ordered their people to draft Vince Young.

They would have met with their business people and their football people, and they would have explored every possibility. They would have told the football people the kind of impact Vince would have on the franchise.

Neither Alexander nor McLane has ever told me he would have ordered his people to take Vince Young, but they've left little doubt that's what they would have done.

Leading up to that draft, both men asked me why the Texans weren't going to take Vince.

I asked them both, ''What would you do?'' Funny thing is, both men reacted the same way. Both smiled and said something like, ''What do you think?''

There's no question in my mind they would have taken Vince Young because of the overall impact he would have had on the franchise. In fact, I think both guys thought the Texans were nuts for passing on him.

And the Titans are headed one way, the Texans another. Kubiak has gotten it right. Matt Schaub is light years better than either Vince Young or David Carr, and the Texans are getting steadily better. Everything that can be measured tells you the Texans made the right call. They didn't. They just got lucky that a bad decision turned out right

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...he_texans.html

Last edited by Lucky; 11-01-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Summarized article
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #2
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RJ's Column... You're Kidding Me!

He really is out of ideas isn't he?
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vince would have made the Texans more popular than the Dallas Cowboys
I guess it boils down to would you rather be popular or would you rather WIN.

Its pretty obvious to me that Bob McNair wants to WIN and that putting people in the seats and money in his pocket comes secondary to WINNING.

Cant say the same for very many owners in professional sports. Jerry Jones and Uncle Drayton are prime examples.

As for Justice .... Maybe he needs to get his own version of Boobies McClain errr I mean Anna Megan to help him keep his readers attention.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are on the threshold of their best 1st half of season in franchise history, and The Chronic puts out this drivel?

No wonder newspapers are dying.
Old 11-01-2009   #5
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember the times when I would be waiting for the newspaper delivery guy to throw the paper before the crack of dawn. I couldn't wait to see what it said.

Now, the only time I read that crap is when you people bring it here. My bookmarks don't even know there is still a Houston Chronicle.
Old 11-01-2009   #6
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Cant say the same for very many owners in professional sports. Jerry Jones and Uncle Drayton are prime examples.

As for Justice .... Maybe he needs to get his own version of Boobies McClain errr I mean Anna Megan to help him keep his readers attention.
Personally I think Jerry Jones is the worst thing in the world for the NFL.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The very first response to this "article" (and I use the term very loosely) got it exactly right...
Quote:
It's also the same reason Bob McNair is going one direction and Les and Drayton are going another - McNair is smart enough to defer to his football people on personnell decisions. Thinking about how a player would improve the organization (marketing and ticket sales) is short-sighted. The best way to market and sell tickets and jerseys, is to win, and you do that with the best players, wherever they are from.
'Nuff Said!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2009   #8
whiskeyrbl

I wonder if he even put any thought as to where the Texans would be right now if we had taken VY? IMO probably where VY and the Tacks are right now.
Old 11-01-2009   #9
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Free speech has it's downfalls. It allows people to make ASSES out of themselves.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

RJ's column is where ass meets hat.
Old 11-01-2009   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Lower levels of the gene pool are attrative to lower levels of the gene pool: The Chronicle/RJ, Bud/Vince, JJ/criminals, etc.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #12
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans are on the threshold of their best 1st half of season in franchise history, and The Chronic puts out this drivel?

No wonder newspapers are dying.

Keep in mind it's his blog. He's stirring the pot and driving up the hit count on his blog by stating these types of opinions. He's goading us all to reading his piece and commenting that he's a jackass all for the traffic to his page.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Don't read it.

Old 11-01-2009   #14
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

You mean to tell me that RJ still works at Chronicle?

Someone needs to start another newspaper company in Houston.

Since so many newspaper company in Tokyo, you have to write good to survive. Houston needs competition.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

RJ should be fined for excessive outhouse gas emissions.

Who cares if he drives up his blog count? If he has to make weird blog entries to get traffic, then it will someday be his undoing. Another 5 years of making sloppy entries will lead him to be viewed (in all circles, not just in fans' eyes) as a sensationalist journo with no real credibility.

The fans see it. The rest of the sports media world will fall into line over time.

The universe can only withstand so much lunacy before it is forced to take action.
Old 11-01-2009   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I asked them both, ''What would you do?'' Funny thing is, both men reacted the same way. Both smiled and said something like, ''What do you think?''
Hey Ricky, brain dead journalist extraordinaire - what would you do if you were making the pick and what would you do if you were owner and your coach and GM wanted someone different are two totally different questions.

Quote:
I'm told that Bob McNair pushed his people hard about Vince Young, that he reminded them that if Vince became a Pro Bowler he was going to get crushed. He just wanted to know if they were absolutely sure that Mario Williams was the right pick.
Exhibit A for the above difference. Sounds like McNair if he had made the pick would have made the popular pick but he deferred to the experts as most owners would. This quote also disproves Ricky's luck assertion. Kubiak & Co. were resolute in their belief even in the face of pressure from the owner and popular opinion both. That is called good judgment, not luck.
Old 11-01-2009   #17
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

RJ is a poon. The guy just loves to say controversial things to drive up his hit count on his "blogs." I just don't give him the time of day, by not reading his drivel. If I ever saw him in public, I would tell him he sucks.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I always avoid his articles. I dont want to make it look like even 1 more person is reading his crap.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Keep in mind it's his blog. He's stirring the pot and driving up the hit count on his blog by stating these types of opinions. He's goading us all to reading his piece and commenting that he's a jackass all for the traffic to his page.
RJ uses a lot of sarcasm and I was looking for it,but I just couldn't find it. There are a lot better ways of goading people into reading your article than making yourself look like a complete football *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Don't read it.

LOL.. That reminded me of a sign I had that said "Private Sign-Do Not Read"
Old 11-01-2009   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't notice the Titans at 0-6 with VY not even playing. THAT defies logic.

Yeah, of course Drayton would take a name to put butts in seats, that's why the Astros "contend" for 2nd to last place now. Of course Les would take VY, VY is probably better at basketball than football anyway.

If I had a million billion dollars and wanted to start a Rocket Science company I'ma go hire the best rocket scientists available, not the prom king.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read